Rattling on idle

Rav

Hi All - I started up my car as she really hasnt seen sunlight this year and noticed a rattling on idle.

I will try and film this and post, but it did sound like a heat shield or similar.

Any ideas what to look for when i get underneath?

R

I'd try the heatshields that attach to the catalytic converters as the first place to look. They're  notorious for rattling once the fixing  point corrodes. 

Alternatively it could be the aluminium linings that fit inside the rear bumper.

A stuck lifter is more of a ticking noise rather than rattle.  I have one that seems to stick on start up if I leave it for much more than a week.  A rattle could also be due to worn timing chain guides if you can't find an external source like a heat shield.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

A stuck lifter is more of a ticking noise rather than rattle.  I have one that seems to stick on start up if I leave it for much more than a week.  A rattle could also be due to worn timing chain guides if you can't find an external source like a heat shield.

I pretty much mirror what he says ^^^

@Rav if you fancy a little run over to my house which is about 11miles from you I would be happy to have a listen and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Sounds good mate - Let me check it out this evening and tomorrow and if no joy, we can have a listen together. Your offer is that of a gentleman.

1 minute ago, Rav said:

Sounds good mate - Let me check it out this evening and tomorrow and if no joy, we can have a listen together. Your offer is that of a gentleman.

just watch out for the trees! make sure you park well away!!

.....too early?  :)

47 minutes ago, Rav said:

I dont get it....sorry........

I had a tree branch fall on my car a week last Sunday in the bad weather, I have since had dent master come out and sort out the damage and my new light rear light arrived today, don't worry well keep your car away from the trees 😂

Understood - missed that one. Ive not been very well recently, must be the lockdown i suspect.

Is it a tinny sounding rattle just at idle? If so, then odds on it's one or more of the four heat shields (2 over the cats and 2 around the exhaust pipes before the cats). 

I had a tinny rattle that appeared from nowhere - turned out the exhaust clamp had corroded so much it had come apart and was rattling on the pipe. 

Archived