Frunk Size

dunks

I'm looking at buying some specific luggage bags to fit the boxster, for a road trip to France.

The supplier doesn't do a set for the 986 , but has suggested his 987 set will fit , but they also do a set for the 996 which are around 7 litres bigger than the 987 set ( potentially another 10 bottles of merlot on the trip back !!!! ) Am i right in persuming the 986 & 996 frunks are the same dimensions and size?

Found this article https://www.parkers.co.uk/porsche/boxster/roadster-1996/used-review/practicality/

I thought the 996 and 986 were the same size, but apparently not. 

"For a sportscar there is an impressive degree of practicality to the Boxster. Not only does it have a fair sized boot behind the engine, but the luggage space in the nose is larger than that of the 911."

30 minutes ago, red rocket said:

I'd be surprised if 986 frunk was bigger than 987 as you have a spare wheel which the 987 doesn't.  Unless maybe more electrical gubbins (e.g. cd player) in 987.

I think that the 986 frunk is at least the same size if not bigger than the 987 even with the spare wheel in tow, I remember thinking that there seemed to be a lot more plastic housing in the 987 which certainly seemed to diminish the size when looking with the eye, obviously either measure or get frunk sizing from an OPC or another member to confirm 

44 minutes ago, red rocket said:

I'd be surprised if 986 frunk was bigger than 987 as you have a spare wheel which the 987 doesn't.  Unless maybe more electrical gubbins (e.g. cd player) in 987.

10 minutes ago, the baron said:

I think that the 986 frunk is at least the same size if not bigger than the 987 even with the spare wheel in tow, I remember thinking that there seemed to be a lot more plastic housing in the 987 which certainly seemed to diminish the size when looking with the eye, obviously either measure or get frunk sizing from an OPC or another member to confirm 

Problem is its not a nice square box , the slope of the bonnet hinders, so one bag is more of a triangle shape

They do 2 bags that sit on top of each other , 1 trolley bag and 1 travel bag

For the 987 its a 57 ltr trolley bag and a 41 ltr travel bag 

For the 996 its a 57 ltr trolley bag and a 48 ltr travel bag ( but listed as Without CD-changer or with CD-changer on top of bulkhead )

4 hours ago, GmanB said:

Found this article https://www.parkers.co.uk/porsche/boxster/roadster-1996/used-review/practicality/

I thought the 996 and 986 were the same size, but apparently not. 

"For a sportscar there is an impressive degree of practicality to the Boxster. Not only does it have a fair sized boot behind the engine, but the luggage space in the nose is larger than that of the 911."

Depending on when this was written, the 986 was launched before the 996 so bigger than a 993 then probably....  I stand to be corrected however.

Checking the parts catalogue, the front body structure of the 986, the part numbers all start 996 so give or take internal fittings imagine the 986 and 986 would be identical in the frunk department.

I've used a mixture of small cabin size suitcases and holdall style bags. Seems to work well. I also have one of those bags that folds into and envelope size. Really handy for the Boxster. 

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Depending on when this was written, the 986 was launched before the 996 so bigger than a 993 then probably....  I stand to be corrected however.

Checking the parts catalogue, the front body structure of the 986, the part numbers all start 996 so give or take internal fittings, I imagine the 986 and 996 would be identical in the frunk department.

CFA

23 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

A few sports bags stuff in well. Where are you going, Monaco? :) 

Not sure yet, for the last 8 or 9 years , i've spent two weeks each summer in france in an old peugeot convertible , Sold it after last years jaunt , was planning on missing a year this year, while I got used to the porsche, but as covid has cancelled a trip to Cuba in September, I'm tempted to go to france instead of a plane to anywhere else  , more than likely be somewhere around Loire or Dourdon.

Already been to Monaco , Once was enough

Thanks to everyone else for help on the frunk size advice

Archived