TopGear Exhaust for 3.2s

beaks

Hi folks,

Considering buying one of these - 

https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-987-1-cayman-and-boxster-cat-back-with-stainless-tips?product_type=exhausts

Just wondered if anyone has had / used anything from TopGear in the past?

I don't really care for 'switched' exhausts and sure, the Carnewal option is there, but I like the idea of a new exhaust with new tips and a lifetime guarantee!

Any thoughts / comments, as ever, would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian B

Funnily enough, I went to see the guy that used to make all the custom exhausts for my japcars that I used years ago on Thursday, to see about a custom system for the boxster. And he said I would be better off buying one of these. He really rates them. 

I think people will tell you that it drones on the motorway. But if you don't go on the motorway....  Used to see them (or similar) on fleabay for considerably less money than that but there haven't been any lately. Better go and check now.

There you go. I have no idea how they compare apart from the price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Boxster-Cayman-S-987-Stainless-Steel-Performance-Dual-Exhaust-System/382511665473?epid=11021213857&hash=item590f78d141:g:aV0AAOSw8nte6SsW&redirect=mobile

Ive got TopGear on my 987.1. Its noisy on acceleration, not exceptionally, but it is noisy. It resonates slightly on and off throttle, but at a steady cruising speed it is fairly quiet. I like the sound, it has a nice 'bark' to it. If you want i can do a video of it out driving, or you could meet me somewhere (preferably close to me!), and i'll take you out in it?

I had one of these fitted to my 987.1 S and it sounded awesome but definitely loud. You can drive it carefully to keep the noise down but definitely loud even with the valves closed.

I liked the sound although the wife wasn’t keen 😩

I do actually prefer the sound from the factory PSE on my current car, definitely more reserved but a beautiful sound 👌

1 hour ago, beaks said:

Hi folks,

Considering buying one of these - 

https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-987-1-cayman-and-boxster-cat-back-with-stainless-tips?product_type=exhausts

Just wondered if anyone has had / used anything from TopGear in the past?

I don't really care for 'switched' exhausts and sure, the Carnewal option is there, but I like the idea of a new exhaust with new tips and a lifetime guarantee!

Any thoughts / comments, as ever, would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian B

I have exactly this exhaust on my 2.7 - I live about 15mins from TG and picked it up on a special deal as part of a group buy I spotted on a 911 forum. Local Indy fitted it. I would advise caution on the non-valved version. Initially the noise at high revs was awesome. I think it was John K who said it sounded like there was a hooligan in there! However on the drive home I realised there was a problem as soon as l hit around 50mph when the droning started. It was as if I had a bass drummer sitting on my shoulder. I waited a few weeks to see if it would settle, including a BoXa trip to Scotland, when it was fantastic on our spirited drives but around 50 the drone was absolutely unbearable. As a result I complained to TG and took the car to them to check.  Initially they reckoned maybe an hour to fettle it - 6 hours later I got it back. Think they had to cut the exhaust open but not sure what they did. They said they hadn't had one that noisy before but I have my doubts. The drone got pretty much mixed but if course the hooligan was similarly subdued.  Personally, given the chance again I would avoid TG and go Carnewal. 

Hmmm mine is the valved Top gear one. It is great both with the valves open and shut. No drone on the motorway that I have noticed as this is due to crossover at the back. I have read that the non valved ones are too noisy and at least one customer sent theirs back to be made quieter (probably an early model). You can shop around for them under different names if you like cybox or designtek I think. Maybe have a chat with Eporsch or Spyder performance as they are called on EBay as I think they sell them now at a good price last time I was looking. The quality of the engineering and tig welding is excellent IMHO. Great piece of British.

Happy hunting.

Occasional hooligan ;-)

I've got TopGear 200 Cell cats on mine, they sound great and the shipping, etc, fitting on a 987.1 3.2 was fine with no blowing. the only issue i had was despite many reassurances that they would not throw up a check engine light. they did, for catalyst efficiency on both sides, contacted their customer support who was awful, blamed the installation, then said it must be the back box which was stock, and then they even offered to remap the car to get the codes deleted and then completely ghosted me. no replies to emails, nothing just washed their hands of it. love the sound and the quality, just the aftersales service was shocking! 

https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-987-1-cayman-boxster-manifolds-and-cats

in the end, i got a carnewal and a remap deleting the codes and happy days. sounds throaty but can be driven lightly with minimal noise. 

24 minutes ago, wander627 said:

I've got TopGear 200 Cell cats on mine, they sound great and the shipping, etc, fitting on a 987.1 3.2 was fine with no blowing. the only issue i had was despite many reassurances that they would not throw up a check engine light. they did, for catalyst efficiency on both sides, contacted their customer support who was awful, blamed the installation, then said it must be the back box which was stock, and then they even offered to remap the car to get the codes deleted and then completely ghosted me. no replies to emails, nothing just washed their hands of it. love the sound and the quality, just the aftersales service was shocking! 

https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-987-1-cayman-boxster-manifolds-and-cats

in the end, i got a carnewal and a remap deleting the codes and happy days. sounds throaty but can be driven lightly with minimal noise. 

I bought my 2.7 with Carnewal 200 cell cats and a check light on, cleared it on a cheap app twice and it has not come back. Can I ask where you got your map from Wander?

17 hours ago, Buzzlt said:

Hmmm mine is the valved Top gear one. It is great both with the valves open and shut. No drone on the motorway that I have noticed as this is due to crossover at the back. I have read that the non valved ones are too noisy and at least one customer sent theirs back to be made quieter (probably an early model). You can shop around for them under different names if you like cybox or designtek I think. Maybe have a chat with Eporsch or Spyder performance as they are called on EBay as I think they sell them now at a good price last time I was looking. The quality of the engineering and tig welding is excellent IMHO. Great piece of British.

Happy hunting.

Occasional hooligan ;-)

+1

I have the Eporsche Spyder performance valved I fitted on my 987.1 3.4, love it and considerably cheaper than the TG, and would appear identical, and can only comment on how well made it is, although fitting instructions were non existent , but straight forward  once you sit down look at what you have , can post some pics up of it in place should anyone want to go down this route and fit themselves.

16 hours ago, lostinespace said:

I bought my 2.7 with Carnewal 200 cell cats and a check light on, cleared it on a cheap app twice and it has not come back. Can I ask where you got your map from Wander?

Yeah I used torque pro to clear it.  But it was coming up every week, and not always both banks at once. So I'd clear the code for bank 1. Then next run out, light would come on again for bank 2. I tried the cheap way fix of 02 extenders, and they did actually solve the efficiency codes, but then caused Lean and Rich codes. I.e caused more problems than I started with! 

I've been working up in Yorkshire lately and found a place called Rippon Remaps, dropped them a message and they come to your address (in the area), nice guy who talked me through the process, plugged his laptop in, sent the file off to their guy at base, came back and flashed over, whole process took about an hour. 200£ and any issues they'll Guarantee the work. 

They have different maps available, I went for a 50/50 as i do use the car for motorway journeys and with a gentle foot coasting at 70mph return 35mpg. 

6 hours ago, bally4563 said:

I have the Eporsche Spyder performance valved I fitted on my 987.1 3.4, love it and considerably cheaper than the TG, and would appear identical, and can only comment on how well made it is, although fitting instructions were non existent , but straight forward  once you sit down look at what you have , can post some pics up of it in place should anyone want to go down this route and fit themselves.

Have you got a link?

I’m having one of these (Spyder) fitted next week.

will let you know how i get on - not a whole load of info online, but they seem like a good bunch, and both Roly (eporsch) & Dean (spyder) have good reps both on here and the various uk porsche forums

👍

2 hours ago, BERGS2 said:

I’m having one of these (Spyder) fitted next week.

will let you know how i get on - not a whole load of info online, but they seem like a good bunch, and both Roly (eporsch) & Dean (spyder) have good reps both on here and the various uk porsche forums

👍

Do a video....

Archived