Reccomend me a short shifter - please

Rav

Looking to build a bond with my boxster again and want to install a short shifter.

Seen these on Ebay at about £45. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=986+short+shift&_sacat=0

s-l500.jpg

Are these any good? They seem pretty cheap.

Any tips on installation or perhaps someone here has one kicking about they might want to sell?

i use the ebay one and have minimal issues. Bens shifter is obviously way better as it uses bearings rather than bushings, but the price was something i couldnt afford at the time.

The ebay one, usually comes with the stick angled for left hand drive, so if you get it i would take it all apart, flip the stick and grease it all up. Should grease it up regardless.

The ball-joint bit rubs on the OEM plastic housing and will eventually wear a groove in it generating play. Ive had mine for 4 years and it has made a bit of play on that section, but it would be easy to replace at some point. Bens solve this by giving you that part spare.

So for £40 its good, i like it. Increased effort to shift, but worth it for the short throw.

Presumably the standard knob and gaiter fit back on to both these kits?

I'm thinking small cost (eBay item) for a change in driving feel.

Had the aftermarket one but I would suggest either the OEM 986 version or the standard 987 shifter with the metal bearings. 

It was the first mod I did and personally I preferred it straight away over the standard "six gears, all in different counties" shift. I have since fitted Jim's roller bearings and Ben's side lever and am very happy with it. However, for every one that does prefer it, there is someone who doesn't and there are other options as @edc has pointed out.

1 hour ago, edc said:

Had the aftermarket one but I would suggest either the OEM 986 version or the standard 987 shifter with the metal bearings. 

This^^ would be my recommendation too

23 minutes ago, SuperPaulie said:

Terry, is there a bearing kit that i can use to retro-fit on mine? the bushes on mine are well greased, but they aint no bearings....

Yeah the standard knob and gaiter go back on, just a bit lower thats all, no issues.

@jimk04 did then but no longer but there are some other aftermarket bushes and kits. The aftermarket shifter has plain bearings but the nicer ones are the needle roller bearings. 

25 minutes ago, SuperPaulie said:

Terry, is there a bearing kit that i can use to retro-fit on mine? the bushes on mine are well greased, but they aint no bearings....

Yeah the standard knob and gaiter go back on, just a bit lower thats all, no issues.

Yes a forum member did mine I know it was Jim but I cannot remember his forum name, someone may jump in. Ben from Ben Auto Design also does them as a part I think.

Ah it seen @edc has already answered, in that case it may be just Ben

23 minutes ago, edc said:

@jimk04 did then but no longer but there are some other aftermarket bushes and kits. The aftermarket shifter has plain bearings but the nicer ones are the needle roller bearings. 

yeah i mean the bearings for the end pieces as the ebay jobs are basically a plastic bush onto the shaft of the shifter. Probably something i could make really by measuring the shaft diameter but thought there might be something out there.

26 minutes ago, SuperPaulie said:

yeah i mean the bearings for the end pieces as the ebay jobs are basically a plastic bush onto the shaft of the shifter. Probably something i could make really by measuring the shaft diameter but thought there might be something out there.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BHAM1010-BCH1010-MJH-1010-5-8x7-8x5-8-IKO-Closed-End-Needle-Roller-Bearing/191978366472?hash=item2cb2cd6608:g:6q4AAOSwYIxX5UQ1

9 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Jims kit didn't have an end cap as far as I remember but what it definitely did have was a set of flat needle rollers on a disc so that interfaced with the shifter itself so there was no friction at the ends.

4 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Jims kit didn't have an end cap as far as I remember but what it definitely did have was a set of flat needle rollers on a disc so that interfaced with the shifter itself so there was no friction at the ends.

Yes, the bearings are tapered. 

You could use either, and I expect the open version would be cheaper. 

I think it did have and end cap. Also came with the circlips and shims for the white block too. All easy enough to do but the convenience is the kit form. 

3 minutes ago, edc said:

I think it did have and end cap. Also came with the circlips and shims for the white block too. All easy enough to do but the convenience is the kit form. 

You may well be correct, it was a long time ago🙄

3 hours ago, edc said:

£317 +VAT on Design911. Porsche part number 997 424 983 00 try your OPC you might be surprised by the price, particularly if they give you some decent discount?  Also from the pictures and diagrams looks like it would be very straight forward to fit and of course totally 'stock'.

There is a member on 911Uk who manufactures a good short shift kit And sells it for £150 delivered. Very impressed with mine. His forum name is Alex. 

It you chop off 35mm or so from the top of your 986 shifter, or add 10mm ish to the bottom if you have a welder, this will effectively give you a 987 shift. 

The metal bearings are good in that they get rid of the slop in the standard Porsche bushings, but don't fundamentally alter the feel of the shift as such.

To follow on, I have just had a gearbox oil change (today) which was always resisted when I suggested it to my previous garage, but I have to say now that my SSK set up is spot on, rifle bolt precision and slots easily into any gear.  

8 minutes ago, Terryg said:

which was always resisted when I suggested it to my previous garage

Dodgy Yorkshire bar-stewards. See, it's all better in Lancashire innit.

6 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Dodgy Yorkshire bar-stewards. See, it's all better in Lancashire innit.

Have you met the man you are dissing? Not known for his tolerance of those he takes a dislike to. 

Really trying to make the point that I think a lot of the issues that people have with the Chinese SSK are really the result of less than stellar installation combined with worn components and gearbox oil which is exacerbated by the kit.  No doubt the bearings improved it also the side lever but it wasn't night and day difference. I know others will disagree and that is of course fine.

1 minute ago, Terryg said:

Have you met the man you are dissing? Not known for his tolerance of those he takes a dislike to. 

Yep - left it with them for a 111 point inspection. 

They walked round the car checking the bodywork - all good.

On my return, dented door. "Wasn't us". 

12 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Yep - left it with them for a 111 point inspection. 

They walked round the car checking the bodywork - all good.

On my return, dented door. "Wasn't us". 

Ah yeah I remember.

Archived