K&N panel filter

Cheddar Bob

I used to buy these for other cars in my 'yoof' but to be honest, I couldn't detect a difference although felt the comfort that it was a well engineered filter. 

I put one in the 986 I owned when I originally bought it but went back to OEM and stayed there for that an my next Porsche as someone on here pointed out that Porsche's R&D and manufacturing is probably equal to or better than K&N.... 

3 hours ago, antjrice said:

I used to buy these for other cars in my 'yoof' but to be honest, I couldn't detect a difference although felt the comfort that it was a well engineered filter. 

I put one in the 986 I owned when I originally bought it but went back to OEM and stayed there for that an my next Porsche as someone on here pointed out that Porsche's R&D and manufacturing is probably equal to or better than K&N.... 

Have you seen the k&n panel filter demonstration at car shows? I've always thought it would be easy for manufacturers to make this sort of change but they never seem to. Wonder why

I’ve recently changed over to a K&N panel filter, easier than changing the whole filter box from the 987. Can’t report on changes yet haven’t run it long enough but definitely changed the induction noise so guess it’s doing something 

Hi

I always keep away from these things for cars using a MAF sensor because of potential contamination issues caused by the filter oil. I am pretty sure they do not flow any more air than than a clean standard filter when fitted in the enclosure. 

Berni

I agree. Although I have had them on a couple of cars and never had MAF probs. I were going to upgrade my filter ( and I prob will at service time) I'd get a Sprint. No oil on those and most people report more growliness. B&M also get good reviews but I can't offhand remember if they have to be oiled or not.

I've pretty much always used a K&N filter on my performance cars, but its been an induction kit. The sound was the attraction, not the performance claims, although it made a huge difference on one of my swift gti's as the air box was very restrictive for the engine tune.

Motorbikes, always swapped for a k&N for easy of maintenance.

Wanted to improve sound, so got my answer above thank you

17 hours ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

I always keep away from these things for cars using a MAF sensor because of potential contamination issues caused by the filter oil. I am pretty sure they do not flow any more air than than a clean standard filter when fitted in the enclosure. 

Berni

+1

my take on this would be the K&N should allow more air to pass through it but its my understanding you have to maintain them more than the usual throw away OEM version. 

5 hours ago, Jord said:

my take on this would be the K&N should allow more air to pass through it but its my understanding you have to maintain them more than the usual throw away OEM version. 

If by maintain you mean clean it rather than throw it away then yes. Paper OE filters are disposable. 

• 4 months later...

I've seen a couple of videos which report the filters won't sit well in the filter housing. Did anyone have any issue with this?

Lee @ cps said they were a pig to fit, and he prefers not to but is willing to have a go at my request at my next service. 

On 8/11/2020 at 8:10 PM, edc said:

If by maintain you mean clean it rather than throw it away then yes. Paper OE filters are disposable. 

Yes, with the cleaning fluid and then re-oil it which then can lead to oil contamination on the MAF if you are too generous.

You can over fill the engine oil too. Like most things in life too much isn't always a good thing 😂 I've used the K&N on both my Bkxsterd and never had a problem. I've used them and Green filters too on various other cars and also never had a problem. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

You can over fill the engine oil too. Like most things in life too much isn't always a good thing 😂 I've used the K&N on both my Bkxsterd and never had a problem. I've used them and Green filters too on various other cars and also never had a problem. 

Did they fit ok? 

Doesn't matter whether you have a 986 or 987 as I've put K&N into both airboxes and both fit fine. Across the 986 range it's the same airbox and same across 987 range. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

Doesn't matter whether you have a 986 or 987 as I've put K&N into both airboxes and both fit fine. Across the 986 range it's the same airbox and same across 987 range. 

I always though the 986 Anniversary model had a different airbox :huh:

On 8/8/2020 at 11:24 PM, Cheddar Bob said:

Has anyone noticed if this has changed your engine sound on induction at all,? 

Definitely, but not sure that that was a good thing.

A bit like the equal-length tubular manifolds altered the Boxster Burble and again I don't think it was an improvement.

Now the Oettles Mod is another thing entirely, that should be standard IMHO :)

23 minutes ago, EXY said:

I always though the 986 Anniversary model had a different airbox :huh:

Sorry yes you're right. It's got the 987 airbox. I should have written all the regular inferior 986 🤣

Archived