Coffin Arms on eBay

½cwt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding this, anyone got the details of the company that will rebus coffin arms with OE spec rubber bushes?

Obviously not using the right search terms in Google.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Regarding this, anyone got the details of the company that will rebus coffin arms with OE spec rubber bushes?

Obviously not using the right search terms in Google.

Hartech do refurbed arms. 

These coffin arms are made by Meyle and very reasonably priced. I have four of them on my vehicle. 2 year warranty on them shows some confidence in the product.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Porsche-986-Boxster-Suspension-Coffin-Lower-Track-Control-Arm-99634105317/333303235432?hash=item4d9a6bc368:g:XosAAOSw9mFbAdXK

9 hours ago, Pordave said:

Funny this topic should come up tonight as I am currently looking at H-tech items on ECP website and with 45% discount applied they are £43.00 each with 2 year warranty. Question I suppose is are they worth a punt?

Dave

Go with the Spyder Performance versions

OK, that's coffin arms what about front and rear tuning forks?

14 hours ago, edc said:

Hartech do refurbed arms. 

Alas looking into this these work out more expensive (1 for the price of 2!) plus having to layout two delivery costs and the exchange fee. which I know you get back, for metal that is still 20 years old.  At under £50 inc VAT each I might have considered it but not £75 +VAT.

Just now, T911UK said:

Cant really understand why anyone would bother with re-bushing any part now days, so many choices out there. I can understand it on the 964/993/944 wishbones.

1. There have been instances of issues of dubious quality aftermarket wishbones snapping, due to issues with metallurgy.

2. Meyle did have some QC / issue confined to a batch - anectdotal evidence suggests they don't wear as well OE / TRW items. Someone also tested the bushings and found out they were softer than the ones on the TRW items.

3. I started a thread a while back, asking for feedback on aftermarket arms that had been fitted for circa 50k miles. Only had one data point of 25k miles, some where the car had done sub 5k miles and were fine (this doesn't say much)

4. Have seem a number of instances where something's been said along the line of "I bought some ACME corporation ones, they fit fine, but I have only done 10 miles in them", or "I bought some (insert random name) ones of eBay and they look okay". Fit fine / look okay - so what? Honestly feel that some of this unqualified advice shouldn't be given in the first instance.

TL:DR, yes, there are many choices out there, but where's the data / feedback on what's good and what's garbage. And I'm not talking about anecdotal evidence.

a. Meyle is a good brand, and they're stuff (particularly HD line) seems to be pretty good for BMWs, but there seem to be an issue with some Porsche parts, including suspension arms

b. Spyder Performance seem to be well reviewed, and I'd have faith in their arms, but am yet to see any 'long term' reports

c. CTE again seem to be okay, but as above in point b.

d. OE coffin arms are circa £270 each from Porsche - with discount...

e. Cheap(ish) TRW coffin arms with the part numbers ground off are now unobtanium - basically same as d.

f. Hartech (and others - all the re-bushing / new balljoint is done by a Slovenian firm) refurbs use original arms, so the metallurgy is the same as d. / e. , and the bushes / balljoints are specced to OE shore hardness and are £75 + vat

So, I kinda get why (many) people go for option f., or re-bush them. I also get why many people fit the cheapest thing they find on eBay. Also, a lot of these cars do low (<5000 miles per annum - much less), or are not driven particularly hard. Make what you will of that.

For the record, no I don't have Hartech arms on my car, but I do happen to have a sample in my garage.

Quite frankly though all the data you will find is user anecdotal. It's not like they do Michelin sponsored tyre test style tests for suspension arms. If you take away the user experience data then there probably is no reference data. 

2 minutes ago, edc said:

Quite frankly though all the data you will find is user anecdotal. It's not like they do Michelin sponsored tyre test style tests for suspension arms. If you take away the user experience data then there probably is no reference data. 

Don't disagree with that at all.

However there's a difference between:

"I have brand A and they lasted x miles" from someone who uses their car regularly,

versus

"Brand B fit okay", or "Brand C looks fine" 

For sure and that's why it's nice for there to be long term users here and for us to encourage them to do running reports. It gives the comments more credibility then, to me at least. 

15 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

I don't think the longevity of Oe arms is particularly brilliant anyway

What makes you say this, and which arms do you think are better than OE? Genuinely interested.

5 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

I don't think the longevity of Oe arms is particularly brilliant anyway so not sure I would want to be replacing with the same.

That may be some folks’ experience but not mine. 50k miles out of each full set of OE coffin arms.

At 150k miles (set three) I’m looking at an interim fix on the rear toe arm bushes but all the other suspension arms seem to be fine. 

COVID aside my car gets driven a fair amount, is properly maintained but no Garage Queen. It is stored outside year round and is often used in far from ideal circumstances. It has also been lowered for 100k of those 150k miles and consequently (given the all standard arm configuration) the components are towards the outer edges of their adjustment ranges  

Am starting to think that the people seeing low mileage intervals when replacing are either not using their Boxster enough or have purchased one that hasn’t seen much mileage.  

This is borne out by the purchasing lore often trotted out on here that a low mileage car may well need a suspension refresh to some extent. 

Personally I’ll be looking at a hybrid component mix for the next refresh - some OE, the remainder using non-standard aftermarket. 

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

OK, that's coffin arms what about front and rear tuning forks?

I couldn't get tuning forks from spyder performance at the time so went with TRW forks, drop links and track rod ends. I think it was around £100 for a pair of forks. 

35 minutes ago, map said:

That may be some folks’ experience but not mine. 50k miles out of each full set of OE coffin arms.

I don't think having to replace all the coffin arms every 50k miles is particularly good.

9 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

I don't think having to replace all the coffin arms every 50k miles is particularly good.

By this, and your earlier post, are you suggesting certain aftermarket arms last longer than 50k miles? 

42 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

What makes you say this, and which arms do you think are better than OE? Genuinely interested.

See my reply above to map. I don't think having to replace the coffin arms every 50k miles is particularly good for a car costing 40k.

I guess there's a reason why some say the suspension is made of swiss cheese

Just look at the number of posts on here about noises and rattles from suspension components.....even on the 981.

What makes you think I think there are better arms then OE ?

Archived