A Possible 3rd party warranty

alank

Yes i understand peoples negative views of warranties, but as Topradio says, it can give some people a little peace of mind.  The way i see it is my starter motor could pack up , then my £790 warranty would probably have  been a good buy. Hopefully i never need to find out, Ha,Ha!

Lofi,  i have PM you the chaps details, speak to him direct . cheers   Alan

5 hours ago, topradio said:

Agree with this.  But it does depend on your attitude to risk and your ability to weather any short term financial pain.  For some every penny is spoken for (often before it's earned) and having the security of insurance can give them peace of mind.

I think that it's well known on here that I'm not a fan of insurance companies and regard them a welching bookies. We are going through the process of trying to claim for a holiday cancelled by the world's response to a minor virus (should be on a beach in Thailand at the moment) and they are twisting and turning not to have to cough-up.  The net result is that we have done lot's of legwork with cc companies, hotels and airlines to mitigate our losses just as we would have to do if not insured.  IMO a lot of insurance is just a placebo and the stress of claiming can be as bad as the original problem. 

It depends on everyone's situation as you have suggested. 

I have always been amazed by the earn ten pounds spend fifty brigade. 

If you want to spend fifty get a job that pays at least seventy five.... But if they earn fifty they spend two hundred. Amazing how this economy works 

Edited by Cheddar Bob
Spelling !!

4 hours ago, alank said:

Yes i understand peoples negative views of warranties, but as Topradio says, it can give some people a little peace of mind.  The way i see it is my starter motor could pack up , then my £790 warranty would probably have  been a good buy. Hopefully i never need to find out, Ha,Ha!

Lofi,  i have PM you the chaps details, speak to him direct . cheers   Alan

Probably?  I think it's a given. 

I looked up the price of a starter motor from Porsche a few days ago and it was Over £500 - without labour.  An Alternator is over £1000!

I suppose that's another perspective.  If you're somebody who takes your car to an OPC for every bit of work then a warranty is probably prudent.  If however you're more self-sufficient and handy with the spanners and happy to fit more budget priced (but still good quality) parts then you may regard paying for insurance an unnecessary expense.

Edited by topradio
  • Thanks 1

I think the reason I have done the warranty ( non Porsche) is it gives me a bit of protection against the larger bills, unless the claim is not honoured of course. Also I can start wearing my brakes down now and not think of OPC charging £500 a corner for discs/pads, ha,ha

• 1 year later...

Having done a fair bit of research the only item that gives me a squeaky bum is the pdk. I have emailed motor easy with the questions below and am awaiting a response. I have identified a good Indy who only use Porsche parts. In the event of a failure would Porsche allow an Indy to order a whole pdk unit?

1. Does this warranty cover electronic or other faults to the Porsche dynamic engine mounts? 
2. Does this cover electrical and mechanical faults to the Porsche PDK gear box? 
3. Does this cover exhaust actuators failures? 

This is the response. I’ll call them to discuss further. Labour rates can go up to £200 per hour. 

—————-

We cover all the EUC’s on the vehicle and computers , engine mounts would not be covered.

PDK Gearbox is a listed component

Exhausts/Actuators are excluded

5 minutes ago, daz05 said:

If you don't cold start the car and leave it sitting for days and keep your eye on the exhaust mechanism you should have no issues there, that one is entirely in your hands.

That’s my understanding. It will be driven at least once a week. I have also seen people manually moving them when a car is left for extended periods of time to prevent issues. 

I have gone back to clarify about the engine mounts. If they are covered I will likely take out a policy with them. Being able to choose an Indy or possible OPC with up to 200/hour (not sure that will cover Porsche rates?) is key for me. 

3 hours ago, daz05 said:

If you don't cold start the car and leave it sitting for days and keep your eye on the exhaust mechanism you should have no issues there, that one is entirely in your hands.

How do you start you car?!!.  I may be thick but I honestly don’t know what you are trying to say here🤔

Edited by Greenman

4 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Seems strange that engine mount’s would not be covered.  I’d be cautions about any warranty where a part had to be ‘named’ to be covered. Also what’s the claim limit does it cover a £16k new Pdk box?

The claim limit is up to the value of the car I believe but will be checking that once I hear about the engine mounts. As such would cover the PDK replacement. I’ll update once I hear more. 

MStuno 1,.   Mine was £790 for 18 months, £200 per hour labour rate. I paid over 3 months interest free. When I contacted them I said it may be a good idea if they could have a policy that mirrored the OPC one. They did adjust mine to suit me to be fair, but I still think they could offer an alternative to OPC one. Perhaps you could reiterate this. They seem to be one of the best, but have not had to put them to the test. Only concern is if PDK gets an oil leak, not sure if they would replace box as OPC does, may be worth asking , this specific question, cheers alan

1 minute ago, alank said:

MStuno 1,.   Mine was £790 for 18 months, £200 per hour labour rate. I paid over 3 months interest free. When I contacted them I said it may be a good idea if they could have a policy that mirrored the OPC one. They did adjust mine to suit me to be fair, but I still think they could offer an alternative to OPC one. Perhaps you could reiterate this. They seem to be one of the best, but have not had to put them to the test. Only concern is if PDK gets an oil leak, not sure if they would replace box as OPC does, may be worth asking , this specific question, cheers alan

Indeed it seems to be a good warranty without the restrictions of the Porsche one. If the claim limit is up to the value  of the car it should cover the PDK replacement. 

Ok, update and checking on leaking oil.  This is for a plan b coverage. 
Key points to consider are:
- The claim limit is the value of the car.
- The PDK geardox Is covered.
- Dynamic enaine mounts are not covered once the car is over 5 ears old.
- The car will require a health check showing is is mechanically sound.
- It is worth bumping the labour rate to £200 as you can use OPC. This is 200 + VAT so 240.
- If you don't want 'age contribution' (you pay more for every year the car gets older) to be a factor they can remove this and then 100% of parts and labour are covered but the cost of the
policy goes up slightly.
- Investigations are covered IF the offending failure is covered. If the offending failure is not covered then any work is down to the claimant to cover.

I need to ponder on this and excluding the dynamic mounts is a frustrations. For my 2013, Caymans 981 the monthly cost is £84/month.

Edited by Stuno1

While this is probably no help - when I was discussing warranties with Motoreasy, the active gearbox mounts were a specific point I asked for clarification on. Now, this is based on a 'Plan A' policy, but I was told after much back and forth that they would be covered under this plan due to them being not only a gearbox mount, but an electrical item.

By their very nature, they have an electrical connector. and would be deemed an electrical item. 

If it were me, I would just double check they are not assuming it is a simple rubber mount as you would find on most cars.

1 minute ago, Rooose said:

While this is probably no help - when I was discussing warranties with Motoreasy, the active gearbox mounts were a specific point I asked for clarification on. Now, this is based on a 'Plan A' policy, but I was told after much back and forth that they would be covered under this plan due to them being not only a gearbox mount, but an electrical item.

By their very nature, they have an electrical connector. and would be deemed an electrical item. 

If it were me, I would just double check they are not assuming it is a simple rubber mount as you would find on most cars.

I did exactly that and stated they are electrically controlled. No go still. Bit disappointed by that. For some reason age related but makes no sense to me. 

Well it’s considerably more than the OPC warranty for less coverage,  I guess most of that would be clawed back by cheaper service and other maintenance costs.  But really it’s only a viable option for those with modified cars that could not get the OPC warranty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Well it’s considerably more than the OPC warranty for less coverage,  I guess most of that would be clawed back by cheaper service and other maintenance costs.  But really it’s only a viable option for those with modified cars that could not get the OPC warranty.

I have asked again about the engine mounts. Fingers crossed. If I pay upfront it will be cheaper so getting a price for that too. As you say, when you take into consideration service costs etc it’s probably a tad cheaper but agree less cover. 

Pick your coverage weapon depending on your approach to risk. I’ve seen too many get out clauses re third party warranties for me to take one of those although I did have a reasonable experience with one originally on my vehicle re an AOS.

Personally if taking on that level of monthly commitment (the £85 mentioned) I’d go Porsche warranty and either suck up the last OPC servicing requirement now or when I felt it was appropriate, assuming the car is mostly original parts.

I completely understand others may feel differently.

Edited by iborguk