New Battery

718as

Do you have to go for a AGM replacement battery, as I see some just plug in the S4 Bosch. What are benefits of AGM, as I won't be plugging it in a trickle charger.

Also do they need to be coded, again I've read some don't bother and not had any problems.

Thanks

The AGM are better suited for stop start, they are more tolerant of deeper discharging.  A ‘normal’ battery likes to be fully charged all the time and in fact will be damaged if left partially discharged for an extended period.

Now, if you always turn stop/start off (as I do) then you could probably get away with a standard battery.

I know some have changed their battery without coding issues( @CMA?). There are a number of actions required after (resetting windows etc).

It is my understanding that the car needs to know the “type” and the “capacity” if the battery to be able to adjust the charging and know when it needs to run the engine to keep the battery at appropriate level. 

there is definitely a routine in piwis to tell the car about a new battery. You have to tell it type = agm capacity = whatever say 80ah and the serial number (which you can fake). It also notes when you changed the battery. 

I figure all that is in there for a reason.

can you ignore it, of course you can.

Like ignoring the service indicator or getting Kwik fit to cut the wires off the wear sensors on your pads to save 30 quid.

In this case I guess the car won’t stop when it could or will stop when it shouldn’t 

or it will charge the battery in a less than optimal way maybe under or overcharge it. 

not just a Porsche thing. BMW for one are the same.  

I’ll probably get shot down for this however - my 2014 981 2.7 is 6.5 years old and owned by me from new. It is cosseted.  The original battery has been maintained on a cTek trickle charger without any issues and does not show signs of failing. BUT, my 987 which I had from new in 2006 had a similar history and the battery suddenly failed at 6 years with the problems of trying to get into the locked frunk to change the battery. Once access was made getting the old battery out was a pia because of its position and weight! I swore never to get caught out again😠

Fast forward to now. I decided to change the battery before problems occur, the car is under Porsche warranty until May 2022 so I need an OEM battery. No problem with that, the current one has served me well.  Looked up batteries and read posts on here and thought sod it let the dealer take the strain. So a call to OPC Silverstone had the car booked in for battery replacement which was carried out 3 days ago whilst I waited. Cost for replacement AGM battery £233, installation, reset all codes and road test, health check on car ( which passed with flying colours) full wash and clean total cost £340.  The old battery was left in the frunk as it is still working and when I came to lift it out of the car I nearly had a hernia it’s that heavy. The thought of lifting the old battery and replacing the new confirmed the cost was well worth the money🙄. And the warranty is maintained.

I appreciate £100 could have been saved doing it myself but to me, approaching 70 (as in next week) its not worth the hassle.

3 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

I’ll probably get shot down for this however - my 2014 981 2.7 is 6.5 years old and owned by me from new. It is cosseted.  The original battery has been maintained on a cTek trickle charger without any issues and does not show signs of failing. BUT, my 987 which I had from new in 2006 had a similar history and the battery suddenly failed at 6 years with the problems of trying to get into the locked frunk to change the battery. Once access was made getting the old battery out was a pia because of its position and weight! I swore never to get caught out again😠

Fast forward to now. I decided to change the battery before problems occur, the car is under Porsche warranty until May 2022 so I need an OEM battery. No problem with that, the current one has served me well.  Looked up batteries and read posts on here and thought sod it let the dealer take the strain. So a call to OPC Silverstone had the car booked in for battery replacement which was carried out 3 days ago whilst I waited. Cost for replacement AGM battery £233, installation, reset all codes and road test, health check on car ( which passed with flying colours) full wash and clean total cost £340.  The old battery was left in the frunk as it is still working and when I came to lift it out of the car I nearly had a hernia it’s that heavy. The thought of lifting the old battery and replacing the new confirmed the cost was well worth the money🙄. And the warranty is maintained.

I appreciate £100 could have been saved doing it myself but to me, approaching 70 (as in next week) its not worth the hassle.

£100 quid to make it go away sounds like a reasonable spend to me.  For me it’s not about what it costs it’s about what value I get or how much aggro it removes for me. 

It’s not a common or popular view (certainly on here) but I figure do what works for you. 

1 minute ago, Paul P said:

£100 quid to make it go away sounds like a reasonable spend to me.  For me it’s not about what it costs it’s about what value I get or how much aggro it removes for me. 

It’s not a common or popular view (certainly on here) but I figure do what works for you. 

Cheers Paul, that’s exactly what I think .

Can I ask a battery question to save starting a new thread ? last week I took my wife food shopping, the car started normally, the 3 mile  drive to the supermarket then parked up whilst waiting for  my wife to complete her  shopping. Front boot opened, loaded up, attempted to start the car, dash lights on but not any sound when turning the key, not even a sluggish grinding noise or a click from the starter usually associated with a low battery , this has been my experience with other cars. I called the Porsche assistance help number, the AA man turned up just on 1 hour as they promised, he checked the battery condition and ran a load test, very slightly low but not enough he thought to prevent the car starting, he tried his jump pack with no success, he then consulted his computer which suggested  resetting the battery, disconnect, leave 5 minuted, re connect, as soon as this was done the car started perfectly and has done in the following days.

Concerned about a problem that may reoccur as it was not possible to get any idea of the cause I have the car booked in to the Porsche dealer to have the diagnostics check  to see if  any faults  show up  or if it was a random computer like fault that was cured by applying the control, alt delete method ! Any suggestions about possible cause of the issue ?

1 hour ago, Artj said:

Can I ask a battery question to save starting a new thread ? last week I took my wife food shopping, the car started normally, the 3 mile  drive to the supermarket then parked up whilst waiting for  my wife to complete her  shopping. Front boot opened, loaded up, attempted to start the car, dash lights on but not any sound when turning the key, not even a sluggish grinding noise or a click from the starter usually associated with a low battery , this has been my experience with other cars. I called the Porsche assistance help number, the AA man turned up just on 1 hour as they promised, he checked the battery condition and ran a load test, very slightly low but not enough he thought to prevent the car starting, he tried his jump pack with no success, he then consulted his computer which suggested  resetting the battery, disconnect, leave 5 minuted, re connect, as soon as this was done the car started perfectly and has done in the following days.

Concerned about a problem that may reoccur as it was not possible to get any idea of the cause I have the car booked in to the Porsche dealer to have the diagnostics check  to see if  any faults  show up  or if it was a random computer like fault that was cured by applying the control, alt delete method ! Any suggestions about possible cause of the issue ?

Lose or poor connection on the battery.?

The process of disconnecting and reconnecting resolved the fault by making the connection good.  ? 

On 11/13/2020 at 8:50 AM, 718as said:

Do you have to go for a AGM replacement battery, as I see some just plug in the S4 Bosch. What are benefits of AGM, as I won't be plugging it in a trickle charger.

Also do they need to be coded, again I've read some don't bother and not had any problems.

Thanks

Yes you do need to go for an AGM battery, this is due to the stop start. Have a google about AGM batteries and their makeup if you wish to understand a bit more about them.

I fitted a Varta Start-Stop Plus AGM Car Battery 12V 80Ah  to my old 981 myself, ever connected up to any other power source, just disconnected, swapper and connected back up. Did the usual windows set and throttle position set (cant remember where I found the info now, maybe even in the manual?). No coding or anything else was done and the stop start started working fine again.

Cost me £150 delivered and 10 mins to do.

23 hours ago, Kevin G said:

..... total cost £340.  ....

Based on that I saved almost £200 but I didn't have the warranty to worry about and I didn't mind the hassle :)

2 minutes ago, 718as said:

what's throttle position set?

Just googled to try and find the instructions I followed. Didnt find the exact ones I usd at the time but here's a similar set https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=770011

And this part is the throttle position set I referred to:

• After the battery is connected:
    With the DME, it is necessary to carry out a learning and adaptation routine as described below:
  • Switch ignition on for 30 seconds without starting the engine.
  • Do not actuate accelerator pedal.
    This completes the adaptation of the throttle valve adjusting unit.

• 4 weeks later...

heres my experience,

my 981 seemed to be constantly charging at full capacity at around 15.5v and the stop start would rarely ever work

the car had done 47k miles/7 years and still had the original banner battery.

i removed the alternator and had it tested which was proved full working order so i purchased a new agm battery.

the original problem was still there so thanks to richard hamilton who registered the new battery the charging/stop start systems all work correct and 9 months on is all good

• 2 weeks later...

Non-Porsche Batteries | Porsche Forum from Porsche Club GB

981 battery life - Page 2 - Porsche General - PistonHeads UK

"I need a new Battery for my 981 Boxster 2012, I approached the local Porsche Centre who quoted £279.79 for a replacement battery.
I asked if that included the "coding" to the car, he went away to ask and said it didn't need it on my car, only later ones, and I could fit it myself. I presume he was talking about a direct replacement for the original."

I think I may have posted something about this previously, but here goes anyway.....

I swapped my dead battery out a while back and, because the car is under OPC warranty, I replaced it with the same battery I took out - a Banner version.  Car went into OPC for a warranty renewal some weeks later and it failed....non-Porsche battery fitted..... 😳

18 minutes ago, noggieboxa said:

I think I may have posted something about this previously, but here goes anyway.....

I swapped my dead battery out a while back and, because the car is under OPC warranty, I replaced it with the same battery I took out - a Banner version.  Car went into OPC for a warranty renewal some weeks later and it failed....non-Porsche battery fitted..... 😳

Did they code it for you LOL

Replaced the battery today. 😎

If you connect up a trickle charger to one of the inside 12v charging ports, you won't lose any settings, and understand from other forums, if the battery Amps etc.. are equivalent to the one being taken out, you don't need to get it coded either.

Job done in 20mins. One of the holding bolts was rusty.

4 hours ago, 718as said:

Replaced the battery today. 😎

If you connect up a trickle charger to one of the inside 12v charging ports, you won't lose any settings, and understand from other forums, if the battery Amps etc.. are equivalent to the one being taken out, you don't need to get it coded either.

Job done in 20mins. One of the holding bolts was rusty.

Yes as someone said before It will work without coding although the charging system may not charge it optimally as it doesn't know it's a fresher battery. 

If it all works then result.

Archived