Tiptronic steering wheel paddle conversion

deanmr2

I have had my 2002 tiptronic Boxster S for 18 months now and absolutely love it. I drive in manual mode most of the time but have never got along with the steering wheel buttons for changing gears so I have decided to send my steering wheel to 9Apart to have the Mercedes paddles fitted. Anybody else done this and were you happy with the result?

1 hour ago, deanmr2 said:

I have had my 2002 tiptronic Boxster S for 18 months now and absolutely love it. I drive in manual mode most of the time but have never got along with the steering wheel buttons for changing gears so I have decided to send my steering wheel to 9Apart to have the Mercedes paddles fitted. Anybody else done this and were you happy with the result?

Myself, @bally4563 and @headless have all done the conversion ourselves and are pleased with the results. Best thing I ever did to the car. I found the buttons confusing when pressing on as they didn’t seem intuitive. I left the buttons wired in, but never touch them.

For the short period I owned a Tip, I do agree , cracking mod, and very self satisfying on a wet Wednesday afternoon in lockdown, carving away at the steering wheel at the dining table getting a good fit on the paddles, looked nearly OE

Looks like everyone that has done this mod were happy with the result. My carving skills are a bit limited that’s why I will let edition9 do the job I figure they have done a few so should have it down to a fine art plus this is a Xmas present to myself beats a pair of socks!! 😂😂

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update,I got my steering wheel back from 9Apart yesterday after new paddles had been fitted. Darren who did the conversion made a brilliant job of it really does look as if it came fitted  from the factory. So I put the wheel back on my car today but unfortunately my car is on the axle stands as I am in the middle of doing a service on the auto box so haven’t had a chance to go out for a play but as soon as I get the car back on the road I will take it out for a paddle changing blast can’t wait!!!

I know imgur has changed, so see if this works......

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/fyQLlz0"  ><a href="//imgur.com/a/fyQLlz0">paddles</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bugger, how do you get it to work now, I hate it when they change things!!!

3 minutes ago, headless said:

I know imgur has changed, so see if this works......

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/fyQLlz0"  ><a href="//imgur.com/a/fyQLlz0">paddles</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Use the "Direct link" option.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:43 PM, headless said:

Far far better a drive with the paddles, you'll love it!!!

Thanks really looking forward to trying it out. I had an e-class Merc with paddles but never used them but the Boxster is a totally different animal and I see me driving in manual most of the time the paddles are so much more intuitive than the same button controlling the up and down shifts 

On 12/12/2020 at 6:58 PM, deanmr2 said:

Is that extensions you have added to the paddles?

Yes dude, they just make it easier to change gear, really cheap on ebay about £14 I think, was a while ago!!!

Archived