European Breakdown cover on older cars

Mudpup

In the vain hope that i may get away to France next year for a few road trips (Alps, Battlefields, Vendee) I would like to get some European breakdown cover. From what i can make out all the usual suspects stop covering cars when they are 15 years old. Mine is 17...... 

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations please? The car will be serviced and checked over before/if we go but this is for disaster planning purposes (sending the wife on a mechanics course is not an option apparently 😄))

I used to use ADAC but I don't think they will cover cars in the UK now. I switched to AXA for a couple of years. 

@Mudpup I'm sure you will find something, IIRC a member or two here have had good cover from the AA/RAC for a specific period on their 986s. Trips to Europe are great in a Boxster and very rewarding. Had to cancel three trips to Europe this year- one was a track experience day at Spa. If you go to Switzerland you can drive the Susten, Gotthard, Nufenen, Grimsal and the infamous Furka pass in a couple of days. A day if your brave. Late June early July is a good time the passes are open and the kids are still at school, goid luck. 😁

The AA extended my cover to Europe for 7 days, but cost about £90 (discounted as long term member from about £135 IIRC) for my 20 year old Boxster.

I use AA for UK roadside assistance and also for their European cover - my car is a 2001 reg and I have no problem getting 12months cover with 90 day trip limits.  

Can also move it to the 2006 Puppy Truck when we’ve used that take the hounds with us when we go to stay with a friend in Italy. 

Only used the cover on one trip - twice - and that was all good. Will continue to use for Euro trips. 

I always struggled to get cover for older cars travelling around Europe  for a reasonable price , until I came across a paid for current account with nationwide , their Flexplus current account has numerous insurance policies attached to it , Mainly

Car breakdown cover for any car you are in ,  including homestart , onward travel and European cover, with no age restrictions

Worldwide Travel insurance 

Mobile phone cover.

All included for the bargain £13 a month. 

If you insure your car with Locktons, uk & continental breakdown/recovery are included as are track day cover and fully comp insurance to drive another car. They are not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

8 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

My Boxster S is insured with Saga (Safe ancient git approved)😂 and European cover is included in the policy and all for a very reasonable premium 

Me too (£213 this year with 8k miles, lower than last year which is highly unusual for a renewal rate).  Insurance yes, but breakdown cover, no.

1 hour ago, deanmr2 said:

Hi 1/2cwt do you know that they will give you a fixed price for 3 years as long as nothing major changes in the 3 year period eg speeding points etc

Yep, going to look into it at next renewal in March.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:08 AM, deanmr2 said:

My Boxster S is insured with Saga (Safe ancient git approved)😂 and European cover is included in the policy and all for a very reasonable premium 

Oofff.....i just did a dummy quote with Saga. Came back with £595 plus £124 for European Breakdown

My current Aviva insurance is £271.....

17 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Oofff.....i just did a dummy quote with Saga. Came back with £595 plus £124 for European Breakdown

I didn’t used to get good prices from Saga until after I turned 60 now I am their best pal with them offering the best insurance prices I can get anywhere 

There are some advantages of being a mature gentleman 😂😂

18 hours ago, Mudpup said:

I got me keen price from them on a comparison site (Compare the Market IIRC) not a direct quote which was £246 in 2019 and renewal was £213 so didn't even bother to research more.  You de need to be in your 50th year i.e. 49 or older to benefit properly.  On my 2000 3.2 S stated at £5k value with 8k miles per annum, kept on a drive (garaging as to premiums due to knocks and scrapes going in and out of them increasing claims apparently), 2 no fault claims and a clean licence with SDP only, though they have added basic business use cover free on 2020 policies to help out through COVID.

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I got me keen price from them on a comparison site (Compare the Market IIRC) not a direct quote which was £246 in 2019 and renewal was £213 so didn't even bother to research more.  You de need to be in your 50th year i.e. 49 or older to benefit properly.  On my 2000 3.2 S stated at £5k value with 8k miles per annum, kept on a drive (garaging as to premiums due to knocks and scrapes going in and out of them increasing claims apparently), 2 no fault claims and a clean licence with SDP only, though they have added basic business use cover free on 2020 policies to help out through COVID.

I'm 56 in a 2003 2.7 base, £7k value, 8000 miles, kept on the drive, never had a claim or any points but also zero NCB (20 years in a company car and using the wifes one but that doesn't count apparently), SDP cover and I live in the sticks in SE England in a low crime area. Saga are having a giraffe.....😂

Archived