Restored 986 price

dpg123

3 hours ago, dpg123 said:

For some reason I think my 2004 986 was a April/May build date. Does that make it hugely more valuable as it’s “one of the last built”?! 

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

No. 

Unless it has extremely low miles on it and you know exactly how far before the end of production, say the very last week or even day.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dpg123 said:

Oddly, looking at my cars “Guarantee and Maintenance” book it was delivered on 7 July 2004 by “Bilabud Benna Ery” which when I google comes up as an Icelandic dealer...first service was by Edinburgh OPC. Anyone any idea who supplied it?

10 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

Well sounds like it was an import from Bilabud Benna Ery. 

Put the reg into autotrader as if selling it and see if it comes up as an import?

Didn't you HPI it when you bought it? 

Just tried that, not an import. HPI’d when bought too and not reported as so. Just out of interest, does anyone know when 986 deliveries ended and 987 started? 

7 hours ago, edc said:

54 reg would have been from September 2004. Last 986 are 04. 

Reg date and build date are usually several weeks apart (mine built Feb, del'd May I guess it takes some time to get a batch of cars from Finland to the UK and then an owner wants a delivery early in a month). I have no way of checking but there could be a handful of 54 plate 986s out there, I'd bet on someone delaying a late 986 to a Sep 1 registration to get a new plate.

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Reg date and build date are usually several weeks apart (mine built Feb, del'd May I guess it takes some time to get a batch of cars from Finland to the UK and then an owner wants a delivery early in a month). I have no way of checking but there could be a handful of 54 plate 986s out there, I'd bet on someone delaying a late 986 to a Sep 1 registration to get a new plate.

I’ve seen two 54 plate 986’s up north 👍

We took the rear bumper off my 987 for some reason (exhaust? parking sensors?) and there is a sticker on the rear bar with a date, I was told that was build date or extremely close to it.  Does a 986 have one?

On 12/18/2020 at 2:46 PM, the baron said:

I must say, Ive not found that on my 986 at all, or are you speaking about the 987 knobs, I know these had a soft coating that comes off.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:19 PM, ½cwt said:

The soft top finish surface damages very easily on my 2000

Think this may be confined to black, "unpainted" centre console and door bin covers. Are there any other areas?

The door bin covers on both my cars (particularly the driver's side) is showing some wear of the soft touch finish. The same issue affects the centre console, however, if you have a car with a painted centre console, these hold up very well.

Unlike the 9X7, the 9X6 climate control buttons have a hard (laquered?) finish, and also hold up well.

2 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Think this may be confined to black, "unpainted" centre console and door bin covers. Are there any other areas?

The door bin covers on both my cars (particularly the driver's side) is showing some wear of the soft touch finish. The same issue affects the centre console, however, if you have a car with a painted centre console, these hold up very well.

Unlike the 9X7, the 9X6 climate control buttons have a hard (laquered?) finish, and also hold up well.

I wonder if the painted centre console uses the same paint as the exterior or if it's different? Does anyone know? Is painting the only way to improve the look of a black unpainted but scratched version, or is there a way to get the original look back?

18 hours ago, dpg123 said:

Oddly, looking at my cars “Guarantee and Maintenance” book it was delivered on 7 July 2004 by “Bilabud Benna Ery” which when I google comes up as an Icelandic dealer...first service was by Edinburgh OPC. Anyone any idea who supplied it?

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/34290-built-in-finland.html#:~:text=The official line is that,Boxsters produced there steadily increased.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16577-difference-cars-made-germany-vs-finland.html

They were made in Finland - I've stated the obvious again haven't I?

Archived