Front springs clunking

Dodgster

Hi guys,

I’ve noticed a clunk whenever I turn the steering wheel full lock to the right.

After listening to this I believe that the front right spring isn’t correctly seated. This is probably due to my changing of front shocks, springs ...in fact the whole front suspension.

my question is this...how can I rectify this without disturbing the whole set up too much as I’ve spent a fortune on wheel alignments over the last few months and don’t want to shell out any more...

cheers

You should be able to get up on to the strut with a pair of spring compressors (and maybe some patience) and manipulate the spring into position without disconnecting anything that affects the geo. If indeed that it the issue.  Might also be a slightly lose top mount/shock nut (160Nm IIRC) or a shot top mount.

9 minutes ago, T11Mike said:

If the alignment was done with the spring not positioned correctly then it will need checking when repaired. I would also check the spring isnt broken.

That would depend on where the alignment was done, most places don’t touch the front camber. As for re seating the spring as mentioned, compressors to take the weight off and wiggle back into place, I have done it with a crow bar , but it is a bit of a faff!

Thanks guys....all of the parts, top mounts etc are brand new. The issue is definitely that the spring is ever so slightly not seated  correctly as it only makes a clinching noise when at full lock.

I will take the advice of using using compressors to take the weight off and push it back into place. The front left has no issue it’s just the front right.

Thanks for all the advice as it’s much appreciated.

still loving the highly unappreciated Boxster!

15 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Probably means that’s how tight the feckers are to undo😂

Yep, particularly with the distorted nut used on the OE assembly.  Thankfully the Konis I fitted came with a nyloc, but perhaps that was the higher setting.  I know it was a struggle....  As least you can get at the fronts when they are on the car unlike the rears.

Archived