What tyres

smit572

Only just got round to replacing my front tyres and what a minefield anyone offer any sensible advice please 

I have Pirelli P zero Rosso N3 tyres all round and need new front tyres so thought I would keep the same make but can’t find N3 only N5 spec . Spoke to my local tyre fitter and they don’t recommend mixing N3 and N5 spec (couldn’t really explain why) and they advise I should swap all 4 to N5.

Nothing wrong with the rears and in date , emailed Pirelli and there reply was basically cannot advise speak to Porsche !!”

Anyone had this issue and mix N5 and N3 ratings on the car 

I'm sure the tyre fitter didn't advise mixing as it would increase his sales....

I have Pirelli P Zero N0 on the front and N1 on the back. No issues at all. On a car that is no longer in warranty I wouldn't even bother with N Rated if the option was there

If you are going to change all 4, look at the Pilot Sport 4 tyres, they are incredible. 

I would be very waring of mixing tyres front and rear on a RWD car too, it can be fine, but it can also be horrible, it can start to make the back end feel very loose. 

You could well be fine of course, and probably will with Rosso N3 and N5, but maybe worth pricing up 4 regular Michelin PS4 tyres from Camskill or Black Circles and see how the price compares, as these are just such good tyres. 

I would hate to put Rosso N5 on the car, it start to feel weird and then have to put them on the rear too when I could have had PS4 to start with. 

I've never had any issues mixing different makes and model of tyre f/r on the Box, but this might be down to the stagger diminishing any matching of the tyres from a grip/handling perspective. 

PS4 is a nice tyre, but expensive. 

1 hour ago, gIzzE said:

I think it is less noticeable on Porsche as the weight is over the rear. 

Unless you have less grippy tyres on the back...  now where where did that ditch/hedge/tree come from? 🤔

Mine feels a lot more balanced with Dunlop Sports Maxx RT2 fitted all round as opposed to the different fronts to rears I had before.

Edited by ½cwt

Coming from BMW M Cars I have had some quite hocking results with different tyres front and rear. 

Overtaking at 70mph in the CSL put the back end out. It was under warranty and BMW changed everything on it, still a twitchy mess. Traction light constantly. 

In the end someone who raced them was at Norwich BMW and I took it in so he could drive it as they were at a loss. First corner he said 'mismatched tyres front and rear'. 

I was adamant they were Pilot Sports all round. They were. PS1 on front and PS2 rear. 
We went back and put on PS2 up front and suddenly the car was absolutely rock solid. 

I have had it a few times since while waiting fro fronts or rears to come into stock and now I know what to look for you can tell the signs of it not being as planted as it should be. 
On a few occasions it has felt fine, but it can make a huge difference, and why compromise on a car like this? 

39 minutes ago, rowbos said:

It's clearly the Driving God sat in between these crappy tyres that makes all the difference :whistle1:

I don't recall seeing you drive my boxster before.... ;) 

@gIzzE I think tyre technology now has come on so much that even the most mundane of tyres in these sizes are of a particular performance. If I was buying tyres new I would buy something I was happy with, a brand that I knew for example. But for the first time I've now got tyres from who knows who on the car and as they were new when I bought it, they are staying and I'm surprised with the grip. 

Thanks for all the comments guys ,I did look at the PS4 - 2 front tyres £215 ish from Kwik fit but my OCD couldn’t live with different makes on the car 🤣 Finally plumped for Pirelli p zero rosso to match the back and went with the N5 rating £260 ish for 2.

Would have gone for PS4 all round if the back didn’t have loads of tread and after a engine rebuild this year couldn’t justify spending any more money!!!

10 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

Tyre snobs? 

What Chinese budget tyre matches what the Michelin PS4 offers? 

And the same can be asked about ones driving ability. I would handsomely wager that the majority of boxster drivers would be no faster in their cars with your ps4s or my whatever they ares. 

In fact, if they thought they had super sticky rubber, I bet they would take more risks

10 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I don't recall seeing you drive my boxster before.... ;) 

@gIzzE I think tyre technology now has come on so much that even the most mundane of tyres in these sizes are of a particular performance. If I was buying tyres new I would buy something I was happy with, a brand that I knew for example. But for the first time I've now got tyres from who knows who on the car and as they were new when I bought it, they are staying and I'm surprised with the grip. 

Surprised with the grip or the balance?  Equal tyres should give balance, however you've described some pretty lurid driving on runs when a more premium brand could well still be planted.  There might be a link here and if you go higher in the premium brands when you need more rubber you may find another level of performance/handling/grip that you're not had access to before - something to look forward to!

I've gone from Goodyear Asym 5 on front and Nanking on the back to Dunlops all round (and from 1"7 to 18" rims), much more planted and predictable rear end.

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Surprised with the grip or the balance?  Equal tyres should give balance, however you've described some pretty lurid driving on runs when a more premium brand could well still be planted.  There might be a link here and if you go higher in the premium brands when you need more rubber you may find another level of performance/handling/grip that you're not had access to before - something to look forward to!

I've gone from Goodyear Asym 5 on front and Nanking on the back to Dunlops all round (and from 1"7 to 18" rims), much more planted and predictable rear end.

How does fitting the same make and model of tyre front and rear make them equal or give the car balance.? 

If you swapped your front and rear tyres or wheels around, do you think the car would drive the same.? 

Replacing poor quality tyres with better ones is always a good idea. 

1 hour ago, PaulQ said:

How does fitting the same make and model of tyre front and rear make them equal or give the car balance.? 

If you swapped your front and rear tyres or wheels around, do you think the car would drive the same.? 

Assuming the manufacture has some degree of competence, when new or similarly worn/aged, the characteristics of the tyre should be pretty similar across it's tyres of a given range at least (front/rear swap on a Boxster obviously doesn't work due to sizes) it could be the level of water dispersal or dry grip or sustainable slip angle etc that are more likely to be lower than those of a tyre matched to the car by development partner.  Sometimes it might be better but for a shorter time, other times the limits lower or less smooth in transitions between grip phases etc.. 

I used to have access to very cheap Yokohama tyres as a staff perk (lower than wholesale cost), by they lasted half the time on my Imprezas than Bridgestone or Michelins but gave good grip characteristics so would cost a normal user more money than the more expensive brands in the long run.  This might be (but I am not saying it is in this case) an example of a manufacturer using a softer but higher wearing compound to obtain higher grip that others also do but at the cost of longevity which requires less development to achieve.

8 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Assuming the manufacture has some degree of competence, when new or similarly worn/aged, the characteristics of the tyre should be pretty similar across it's tyres of a given range at least (front/rear swap on a Boxster obviously doesn't work due to sizes)

As I said, I think any similarities in the characteristics of the same make and model of tyre will be largely diminished due to the stagger. 

How do you know that just replacing the Nankangs on the rear wouldn't have got you the same result.? 

10 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

And the same can be asked about ones driving ability. I would handsomely wager that the majority of boxster drivers would be no faster in their cars with your ps4s or my whatever they ares. 

In fact, if they thought they had super sticky rubber, I bet they would take more risks

That's not really what a well matched set of tyres offer though. 

Swap between something like a Vredestein and a PS4, both very good tyres but in very different ways. 

The Vredestein offers a bit more comfort, and a bit more overall grip, however, when it does let get it might do it at a higher speed but it does so with a snap. Same with something like the Pirelli P Zero Nero. 

You then have something like the Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetrical tyre, this is not all that far behind on ultimate grip but when it starts to loose traction it does so in a bit more of a progressive nature, you can feel when it is starting to get on the limit. It is also a bit firmer and so steering feels a little more positive. 

Then get to the Pilot Sport 4 and you get a firmer side wall again and steering feels even better, much more direct. Plus it is a very progressive tyre, it will start to let go at lower speeds than the two tyres above, but it is extremely progressive, you can really feel what is happing and this really lets you know what the car is doing and gives you loads of notice of when it is on the limit. It is a very confidence inspiring tyre. 

Then you have the PS4S, only in 19" and above currently, but this takes the PS4 to another level, even feels almost like a PS Cup on the road but with the benefit of being a very useable all year round road tyre that is amazing in the wet, and takes that level of feedback to a new level. 

We have a very communicative cars here, they would good when they came out, with the latest tyres they are even better. 

You are often talking about £150 difference over 2, 3 or even 5 years between a decent budget tyre and the best tyre out there, and as far as I am concerned it is the best £150 you can spend on these cars if they are sorted. 

3 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

You then have something like the Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetrical tyre, this is not all that far behind on ultimate grip but when it starts to loose traction it does so in a bit more of a progressive nature, you can feel when it is starting to get on the limit. It is also a bit firmer and so steering feels a little more positive. 

This is nothing like my experience of the Asymmetric 5. 

3 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Different tyres are designed to offer different characteristics. 

That alone can cause real issues. 

6 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

This is nothing like my experience of the Asymmetric 5. 

OK, what is your experience of it? 

I genuinely don't know what you mean when you say it is nothing like your experience of it.

Edited by gIzzE

2 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

OK, what is your experience of it? 

I genuinely don't know what you mean when you say it is nothing like your experience of it.

Mushy sidewalls (very rounded shoulders too) Definitely more of a touring type tyre then a sporty one. 

Grip is average at best, though reasonably progressive. 

All in all not a bad tyre, but nothing like the majority of reviews would suggest, though im not the only one who shares this option. At least they were cheap :)