What tyres

smit572

5 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

Do you buy mismatched cheap tyres for your bike? 

:jerry:

Eagerly awaiting a response :)

13 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

So just to be clear. 

Tyres don't make a difference? 

Or tyres don't make a difference on the road? 

Or what is it you're saying exactly? 

I have no interest in taking a Boxster on track btw. 
I just want a tyres that makes the car feel planted, lets me feel what is happening and is great in the wet. 
Some I have felt don't meet all these requirements, but maybe I have just been brainwashed? 

Whatever tyres you end up fitting next I would give Chinese  ‘Sunnys’ a miss. The previous owner of my car fitted them just so he could sell the car with 12 months mot and they were lethal in the wet. If you parked on a slight incline in the wet, when you returned the car would have moved a foot 🤣😂

Michelin pilots n3 transformed the car imo.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

So they don't age now either? 

Okie dokie. 

27 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

Do you buy mismatched cheap tyres for your bike? 

39 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

So just to be clear. 

Tyres don't make a difference? 

Or tyres don't make a difference on the road? 

Or what is it you're saying exactly? 

I have no interest in taking a Boxster on track btw. 
I just want a tyres that makes the car feel planted, lets me feel what is happening and is great in the wet. 
Some I have felt don't meet all these requirements, but maybe I have just been brainwashed? 

I didn't buy these tyres. Regarding my bike, quite often I ran with a different rear to front. It made no difference with a man of my ability. 

I never said tyres do not age, and i never said there is no benefit in buying performance orientated tyres. I have simply said it is a dick swinging contest for road cars and even track cars. Racing sells because men like to swing dicks. 

Regarding your requirements for tyres, my current tyres do all you are asking for. Hence my point. It is planted, it does grip, it does good things in the wet. And what make are they, future something or other. no idea. 

25 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

:jerry:

Eagerly awaiting a response :)

I didn't buy these tyres on the boxster 

I've run many bikes with different front to rear combinations. That said, I'm not talking about bike tyres. I'm talking about cars. The requirements for the two different vehicles are significantly different. 

You will know the answer to your question gary. 

1 hour ago, gIzzE said:

No, you are being a reverse snob. ;)

You seem to be having a dig because I really like PS4 and PS4S tyres. They tend to be winning a hell of a lot of fans too, there is a reason for that. 

I'm not really having a dig at all. 

Guess what I've got on the front of my car. :)

All im saying is that cheap tyres won't necessarily make your Boxster fall off the road, and might well offer the majority of the PS4 performance at a much lower cost if you find a good one. 

By the same token, fitting a well regarded branded tyre won't necessarily be any better then a not so well known brand at a lower price. 

5 minutes ago, Araf said:

Yup. 

Fitting will cost me 20 quid per tyre (I know) ,and the PS4 is just over a ton fitted. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Yup. 

Fitting will cost me 20 quid per tyre (I know) ,and the PS4 is just over a ton fitted. 

That answers my earlier question - I'm looking in the wrong place for Michelins. :thumbsup_still:

1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I didn't buy these tyres. Regarding my bike, quite often I ran with a different rear to front. It made no difference with a man of my ability. 

I never said tyres do not age, and i never said there is no benefit in buying performance orientated tyres. I have simply said it is a dick swinging contest for road cars and even track cars. Racing sells because men like to swing dicks. 

Regarding your requirements for tyres, my current tyres do all you are asking for. Hence my point. It is planted, it does grip, it does good things in the wet. And what make are they, future something or other. no idea. 

Well I guess you would know. 🤣

Fair enough, I have had a couple of experiences where the car has felt like it was on ice because I have mixed tyre brands front and rear, so we shall have to agree to disagree. 

55 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

I'm not really having a dig at all. 

Guess what I've got on the front of my car. :)

All im saying is that cheap tyres won't necessarily make your Boxster fall off the road, and might well offer the majority of the PS4 performance at a much lower cost if you find a good one. 

By the same token, fitting a well regarded branded tyre won't necessarily be any better then a not so well known brand at a lower price. 

I agree with that. 

Even tyres like the Kumho KU39, which could be had for around £50 a corner, is a superb tyre and the PS4 certainly isn't twice as good as the price suggests. 

And I have found some Continentals and Bridgestones awful even though they are some of the most expensive. 

I had some Conti Sport Contacts get really noisy after less than a year and 5k miles.
Tyres were almost 2 years old from dot code. 
When I looked at them properly they were all cracked between the treads. 
I spoke to Continental and they actually picked one up to evaluate them. 

The came back and said that I had left them out in the sun too much.    ?????:blink:

It seemed a few people had the same problem, albeit a bit longer than 2 years old. But put me off Contis going forward.

4 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

I agree with that. 

Even tyres like the Kumho KU39, which could be had for around £50 a corner, is a superb tyre and the PS4 certainly isn't twice as good as the price suggests. 

And I have found some Continentals and Bridgestones awful even though they are some of the most expensive. 

I had some Conti Sport Contacts get really noisy after less than a year and 5k miles.
Tyres were almost 2 years old from dot code. 
When I looked at them properly they were all cracked between the treads. 
I spoke to Continental and they actually picked one up to evaluate them. 

The came back and said that I had left them out in the sun too much.    ?????:blink:

It seemed a few people had the same problem, albeit a bit longer than 2 years old. But put me off Contis going forward.

I had KU39 on the rear of the box for a while. Good tyre. 

Any chance you can slip 70 quid into my Xmas stocking, so I can buy some PS4 🤣

Edited by PaulQ
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gIzzE said:

Well I guess you would know. 🤣

Fair enough, I have had a couple of experiences where the car has felt like it was on ice because I have mixed tyre brands front and rear, so we shall have to agree to disagree. 

Nope, I've only ever come off the bike at speed and with matched branded front rear tyres. Mix n match never did any harm :)

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just pointing out that the difference between a high performance set and ones cheap and cheerful will not be as big as a difference as it might seem. 

• Like 1

I reckon an 18 year old with no road experience will most likely come off the road at some point in the first 12 months of having a licence irrespective of what tyres are on his car or bike.

Age and car handling abilities are more important than tyre choice so long as they aren’t illegal.

6 hours ago, gIzzE said:

It was a genuine question, cheap mismatched tyres on a bike gives the same results, just amplified 10x. 

Your preaching to an ex bike cop and biker petrol head here, I knew it was a genuine question, my response was meant in the usual BoXa.net jest :guitar:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Nope, I've only ever come off the bike at speed and with matched branded front rear tyres. Mix n match never did any harm :)

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just pointing out that the difference between a high performance set and ones cheap and cheerful will not be as big as a difference as it might seem. 

Not sure I’d put Shuangliu’s finest rubber hoops on my car and take a trip to the Ring, maybe a track with miles of safe run off 🤣