What tyres

smit572

4 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Yeah. 

225 is a bit much for a 6.5J but fine on a 7J hence the question. 

Because I prefer to not have too wide a tyre. Now I am running 235 rear like the 987 I think sticking with 205 front is the right balance. 

It may well be the case that I move the 235 the the front and put 265.40.17 on the rear and it feel really nicely balanced. That would give me a perfect rolling radius front to rear and shed loads of grip, but not sure it would feel anywhere near as fun. 

Mind you, some of the 18" 987 wheels ran 235 front and 265 rear, so it would be fine to do so. Be an interesting test. If I could afford to play around I would have a go. 

7 hours ago, gIzzE said:

Because I prefer to not have too wide a tyre. Now I am running 235 rear like the 987 I think sticking with 205 front is the right balance. 

It may well be the case that I move the 235 the the front and put 265.40.17 on the rear and it feel really nicely balanced. That would give me a perfect rolling radius front to rear and shed loads of grip, but not sure it would feel anywhere near as fun. 

Mind you, some of the 18" 987 wheels ran 235 front and 265 rear, so it would be fine to do so. Be an interesting test. If I could afford to play around I would have a go. 

I think I mentioned it on your thread when you were asking about dropping from the 255/40 to 235/45 on the rear, that I'm running the same rears with 225/45 up front. 

I've not found any downsides with this combo. 

Just a thought :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulQ said:

I think I mentioned it on your thread when you were asking about dropping from the 255/40 to 235/45 on the rear, that I'm running the same rears with 225/45 up front. 

I've not found any downsides with this combo. 

Just a thought :)

I ran 225 front and 255 rear when on my 17" rims.  Now on 225 front and 265 rear on 18s".  Bear in mind one of the reasons the 987 had 235 on the rear was standard TC which was optional on the 986 as mentioned in the earlier thread about going to 235 rears on a 986. Also a taller side wall on a 235 rear could soften the ride a little.

Edited by ½cwt

• 2 months later...

As usual I'm staggered by the knowledge and experience on this forum so I would value your advice on replacement tyres

My 2004 986.2 has the tyres that were on it when I bought it: 225/40 ZR 18 Hankook Ventus on the front and 265/35 R 18 HiFly on the rear.  I was pretty shocked when I saw those when I was buying the car last June but it was otherwise in great condition, well cared-for, great history and great price so I bought it anyway.

I've been using the car as a daily driver - although obviously that's much less than normal at the moment - and frequent blasts on the great and plentiful B roads around where I live in Co Down.  No track driving and likely none/very little in future. I've done 5,000 miles in 8 months but I would imagine in normal circumstances that would probably be my upper limit for annual mileage. 

I've been amazed at the performance of the HiFly's - it really takes a bit of deliberate provocation with some damp/loose gravel on tarmac to get them to move.  Even now that they are needing replaced they haven't deteriorated too much.

This is the only Boxster I've ever driven so I don't know how much different the rear grip and handling would be with more premium tyres.

So I'm looking for your recommendations.  I'll put on premium tyres if the difference is worth it but equally there's no point over-paying for no benefit. And it's a 17 year old car, not one that's still under warranty where resale value might be a factor.  I won't be doing thousands of miles annually so wear probably isn't an issue and sadly I'll have limited track opportunities.

I live in N Ireland so decent wet weather performance is all-too-frequently necessary although I'm not doing much hood-down pleasure driving when it's wet so it would be more about wet braking performance than grip/handling.

There is still meat on the front Hankooks so I'm not looking to replace all 4 tyres at this point.

What do you recommend?

I think most replies will be Michelin PS4.  Personally in these sizes I opted for Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2, good wet weather and also a bit quieter than most plus if budget is a factor about £20 each less than the Michelins.  Also at the same price point are Goodyear Asymmetric 5 which review well on here too.  For a little less but still getting favourable reports are Kumho Ecsta.

Biggest savings are by savvy shopping.  If you wat to arrange your own fitting, Camskill's prices are pretty good but remember to factor in the fitting cost, otherwise just look out for brand based offers from the manufacturers or big players in the tyre fitting market if you want a one stop shop.

Thanks.  I think PS4 would be my preferred option if budget wasn't an issue.

So far the best prices fully fitted I have are £370 Kwik-Fit less 10% promo (net £333) or £360 from a local tyre company. Michelin seem to run an DFS-style never-ending promotion giving a £10 off per tyre rebate so that would net down to £340 - unless like me when I got a set of excellent Cross Climates on the front of my A6 last year and forgot to claim the rebate until after the closing date!

As a comparison I've been quoted £290 for a set of Goodyear AS 5's which looks like a decent price. At the lower end it's £168 to replace with the same HiFly's that are on it.

Anyone else have good experiences with something mid-range like the Kumho Ecsta, Hankook or Yokohama? 

Uni royal Rainsport 2 get good reviews on here at around £120 a piece for the rears or the Eagle Assymetrics have an A rating for wet grip at £137 each. As you have already found, you drive up to the limit of your tyres and then know how far to push it. The better the tyre you get, the faster you’ll be going when you do exceed the grip limits. If you’re going to be driving it in the wet a lot, it makes sense to prioritise wet grip over ultimate grip in the dry.

I found Khumos gripped really well, but I got through a set of rears in around 4K😳 of B road blasting.

• Like 1

Personally I'm not a track day or fast driver so went for a set of Avon ZV7 for my Boxster after having the same fitted to  a Mercedes recently.

They have an A rating for wet road grip and are a relatively quiet tyre.

I used National tyre's as they are promoting a 5% discount atm and pay over 4 months at 0%

I had a pair of ZV7,s put on the front of my Omega a few months ago and Im really happy with them.

I have read this thread with interest as I have 265/35/18 on the rear of my Boxster.

It has Jinyu tyres fitted all round and in my experience on other cars, they are an awful tyre, and are lethal in the wet.

I actually think 265 is overkill for a car with approx. 220 bhp although they do look really cool.

I would consider smaller tyre sizes when the time comes to change, although I would also consider going down to 17 inch rims as well, which of course means more spending. 

When I bought my 986 I had Michelin pilot sport n3 tyres fitted all round and IMO totally transformed the car. I had to change my tyres immediately as the fronts were worn to the limit and the rears had Sunnys fitted just to get it through the m.o.t to sell the car,  they were lethal in the wet!

The whole point of a boxster has to be the sublime handling, it’s certainly not the speed so why put on cheep tyres? 

Edited by Boxsum

The PS4 tyres are just amazing imho, more so on RWD cars. 

I just adore them, they are pretty comfy, they grip like mad but you can feel exactly what they are doing and in the wet.......christ they are impressive. 

Centre Gravity, who are arguably one of the best at suspension and geo set up for Porsche in the UK, actually test the rubber on your front and rear axle as part of they set up. It can make so much difference to how much better a car feels when you have the right grip levels front and rear, or just have tyres that don't have a spot on compound for these cars, that they will advise you to swap them over so you are not compromising what the car is capable of. 

£330 for PS4 all round is a no brainer imho. 

Let's be honest, most modern tyres are very, very good these days, but you bought a Porsche for a reason? Why not give it the best and know you are getting the ultimate from your car? 

I've used Uniroyal Rainsports on our family cars for years now principally for their wet grip (which is the priority in the real world) and value. Great all round performance, no complaints and best price of premium brands. Have also had good experience of Avons in the past which seem very underrated and have noticed they look good value too. It will be one of those two when I next need new tyres.

On 3/22/2021 at 12:02 PM, SimonT001 said:

I've used Uniroyal Rainsports on our family cars for years now principally for their wet grip (which is the priority in the real world) and value. Great all round performance, no complaints and best price of premium brands. Have also had good experience of Avons in the past which seem very underrated and have noticed they look good value too. It will be one of those two when I next need new tyres.

I concur 

This thread has been quite interesting to read though and right at the start the OP indicated this will be a bit of a minefield and he was right. 😁

There are so many variables that come into what makes a good tyre choice.

The car in question the tyres are going on, what's the best psi for them, the size of the rims, the age of the tyre, the main type of use the tyre will have, the suspension condition, the driver's ability and experience with different tyres to note a few. 

I've got relatively new Davanti all round on my 17" rims on my 986S and someone on here told me a friend of theirs hated them on the Scirocco and that they are ditch finders. That's what he experienced and that's valid. 

Different tyres work better/worse on different cars, for instance my E60 530D has bridgestone all round yet some of the owners here say they aren't the best yet the E60 owners rave about them. 

My past history of older cars means I'm used to budget tyres and what they are capable of (davanti I believe are medium range) and the grip levels are fine for what I expected and when I intentionally provoked the rear to step out on a 2nd gear corner the slide was caught and it was progressive and predictable and came back in line smoothly with no fishtail. 

Maybe having owned 2 MR2 turbos in the past which are an absolute pain when the back end steps out even when I was running Toyo Proxes (fav In the MR2 community) that I find the 986 s with davantis really good so far. 

Premium tyres will no doubt give you better grip but then the flip side means your more likely to lean on them more when you're being enthusiastic behind the wheel as I am. 

And yes... I am one of those who bought the 986s because it was cheap but doesn't mean I'm going to skimp on maintenance. 

Tyres are down to personal preference and as long as you know the limits of the tyre you're on, you should generally be fine. 

My 2 pence worth anyway. 

4 minutes ago, fizz said:

This thread has been quite interesting to read though and right at the start the OP indicated this will be a bit of a minefield and he was right. 😁

The car in question the tyres are going on, what's the best psi for them, the size of the rims, the age of the tyre, the main type of use the tyre will have, the suspension condition, the driver's ability and experience with different tyres to note a few. 

I've got relatively new Davanti all round on my 17" rims on my 986S and someone on here told me a friend of theirs hated them on the Scirocco and that they are ditch finders. That's what he experienced and that's valid. 

Different tyres work better/worse on different cars, for instance my E60 530D has bridgestone all round yet some of the owners here say they aren't the best yet the E60 owners rave about them. 

My past history of older cars means I'm used to budget tyres and what they are capable of (davanti I believe are medium range) and the grip levels are fine for what I expected and when I intentionally provoked the rear to step out on a 2nd gear corner the slide was caught and it was progressive and predictable and came back in line smoothly with no fishtail. 

Maybe having owned 2 MR2 turbos in the past which are an absolute pain when the back end steps out even when I was running Toyo Proxes (fav In the MR2 community) that I find the 986 s with davantis really good so far. 

Premium tyres will no doubt give you better grip but then the flip side means your more likely to lean on them more when you're being enthusiastic behind the wheel as I am. 

And yes... I am one of those who bought the 986s because it was cheap but doesn't mean I'm going to skimp on maintenance. 

Tyres are down to personal preference and as long as you know the limits of the tyre you're on, you should generally be fine. 

My 2 pence worth anyway. 

All 2p's are collected added up at the end of the month.

That is why this forum is so good - who'd have thought a thread on tyres would be so interesting  :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fizz said:

My 2 pence worth anyway. 

Totally valid points and balance is as important as overall grip (you pick this up from my earlier post in this thread 👍) in that the best will give the highest ultimate result but at a limit that may be inaccessible on 'normal' use or by a 'normal' driver.  Balanced, predictable and progressive tyres are the most important result and whether is says Michelin or 'Ditch Finder' on the side wall and it is the level that that handling is available at that makes a difference.  Take F1 when a driver says the grip has gone away, if any one on this forum could get to the limit of even a shot F1 tyre I'd be very surprised, let alone exploit the grip of a brand new temperature conditioned one.

That said I did kind of prod @Cheddarbob into inflating his ego re his driving skills by suggesting he might be one to benefit from finding the very best.

The primum brands do offer other benefits like consistent performance through the tread life and in some cases a better grip to wear life balance i.e. if it lasts 15% longer is it no then worth paying 10% more?

Full disclosure, I run Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 18" on my 986 as a balance between premium brand/performance and price, also purchased as a sports car to run on a reasonable budget even if if I did splurge rather a lot on suspension last year...

I have ordered two Michelin PS4 for the front of my 2002 Boxster. Black circles have emailed me telling me these aren’t N-rated tyres. Should I be concerned? It’s not like my car has a warranty to void any more!

Cheers guys. The front two were advisories on last year’s MOT so it made sense to get them changed. Looking at getting the rears done in a couple of months; there’s plenty of tread but Nick Giles noted on the PPI that they were old in years. Probably go for the same (PS4s) on the back. 

Edited by Dazzevans

• 2 months later...

after reading this thread and a quick search i am really no further on.

My rear tyres have come to the end of their life and mot is coming up, 265/35/19  987 tiptronic

i am not in the market to pay PS4  prices and reading the good year f1 seem to be popular.

i am not a racer or do track days my current tyres  conti 3's are dated 2014 so i get plenty of years out of them

My question is this, my current tyres are 98y and i have seen F1's that are 94y will they do me, anyone shed any light?

cheers