Alarm going off after flat battery

dunks

I keep my car in a garage away from my house and thought I wouldn’t have any issues with starting the car but today totally confused me.

I left the car unlocked and with the bonnet on the catch , after not using it for 2 months I was surprised the battery was completely dead as I know it was fully charged when parked up after a hard days driving. On arriving I used the key in door to wake the car up , no sign of any kinds of noises of the door actuators working  so opened the bonnet and connected my booster pack , immediately alarm siren went off , I started the car and the alarm continued to whale away , tried turning off , locking car opening car starting engine still the same , then eventually it stopped , 5 seconds later it sounded again , again trying locking etc , until eventually after about 15 minutes it stopped. Anyone know what is the correct procedure to jump start the car and to be able to silence the alarm straight away 

The alarm siren has its own battery. As the siren battery recharges from the main battery when the main battery goes flat the alarm siren battery will discharge. When it discharges the alarm siren goes off as the alarm system 'thinks' its being interfered with. It will repeat sounding until it no longer can.

You could pull the electric plug from the alarm siren which will silence it but then its independent battery won't recharge.

1 hour ago, Boxob said:

The alarm siren has its own battery. As the siren battery recharges from the main battery when the main battery goes flat the alarm siren battery will discharge. When it discharges the alarm siren goes off as the alarm system 'thinks' its being interfered with. It will repeat sounding until it no longer can.

You could pull the electric plug from the alarm siren which will silence it but then its independent battery won't recharge.

If it sounds when its been discharged why did it sound continuesly when the car was powered back up ?

13 minutes ago, dunks said:

If it sounds when its been discharged why did it sound continuesly when the car was powered back up ?

Only a guess: the system continued to think its being tampered with.  Or maybe it just got out of 'sync.' and needed a reset?  

Interestingly I've just found this response to someone else's question on pelican parts

Followup from the Pelican Staff: Unlock driver door twice to deactivate alarm

Every time my Boxster's battery stats to flatten the horn and siren start as soon as I unlock the driver's door. I get in quickly and get the key into the ignition and try to start it. IF I a very lucky, it will start, but all too often there is that 'ticking' noise meaning that even the bonnet switch won't work. Pull off the fuse box cover, pull out the red fuse holder, attach my charger to it and earth to the door latch. Open bonnet, replace fuse cover - attach charger direct to the battery - wait over night - all cured. (I did try to start the car once with the battery charger still working - the fuse !'fused' another lesson learnt). Boxsters seem to be one of the most 'hungry' consumption of battery charge when just sitting ding nothing much! 

Turn the key in the ignition to position 2 then jump start. If you don't the anti theft thinks someone is trying to nick the car.

My blipper doesn't work so i have to insert the key in the ignition within 10 seconds (i think I'll time it next time!) and turn it on once i've opened the door. I tend to turn it on and straight off leaving the key in place to allow getting my fat-dad bod into position and close the door etc.

Are you unlocking with the key in the lock or with the remote? 

If with the key only the alarm is not deactivated when you unlock which is why it triggers whilst you are trying to start it.  Also if it has gone to 'sleep' to reduce consumption (5 days or longer standing on 986, 7 days or longer on 987) and doesn't respond to the remote turn the key anticlockwise in the door lock, then use the remote, only then if the central locking doesn't unlock use the key to unlock by turning in the normal direction.

I do have to agree though that my Boxster uses more power doing nothing than any other car I've come across, hence Porsche sell battery conditioners as an accessory. After 3 weeks mine struggles to start even with a fairly fresh battery (less than 2 years) and definitely needs a jump start if left for longer.  Good excuse to go for a regular spin though even in winter.

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Are you unlocking with the key in the lock or with the remote? 

If with the key only the alarm is not deactivated when you unlock which is why it triggers whilst you are trying to start it.  Also if it has gone to 'sleep' to reduce consumption (5 days or longer standing on 986, 7 days or longer on 987) and doesn't respond to the remote turn the key anticlockwise in the door lock, then use the remote, only then if the central locking doesn't unlock use the key to unlock by turning in the normal direction.

I do have to agree though that my Boxster uses more power doing nothing than any other car I've come across, hence Porsche sell battery conditioners as an accessory. After 3 weeks mine struggles to start even with a fairly fresh battery (less than 2 years) and definitely needs a jump start if left for longer.  Good excuse to go for a regular spin though even in winter.

I put key in drivers door 1st as the car had been sat for a while , then tried the ignition, no lights on at all , so connected booster pack and got burst eardrums !!!!

I had the same issue, not driving car, goto start and alarm going off. You can disconnect the two horns, one for the alarm and other for the tilt alarm, theres one either side of the battery, left(drivers side) looks like a round normal horn and the one on the right(passengers) is a black box with a red round bit in the middle. This one undo the top bolt and move out way and disconnect the connector on it. I did this as a temporary fix as didnt want to try and use the car at 6.30 in the morning to goto work and the alarm goes off to wake all the neighbours up.. I now have a solar panelled trickle charger from the AA which plugs into the OBD port and just keeps it topped up and was only 30 quid

I literally just had an alarm issue / time of year? 

After random alarm triggers, potentially corroded connectors to tiltshift sensor and/or more probable.. the siren backup battery is on its way out/dead.. and that triggers the alarm. I finally decided to disconnect the siren (to right of battery) and hooter (to left of battery) - looking forward to never hearing that alarm again. 

Will look at getting the car to someone that’s got a Porsche computer and get the last triggers read, as well as get the siren/tiltshift and amber flashes (when alarm gets triggered) coded out. 

just disconnect the siren..!

Archived