Leather Dash Swap

Sanky

37 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Wouldn't it be simpler just to fit the full leather dash from a Boxster....plenty of them had leather as an option. It may well have the 996 part number.

Think they are all same from what I can see on the net, apart from the cluster pod.  The 996 cluster pod looks better but not sure it will fit with the 986 instrument.

Just looking for something to do I think really.

Swapping out the whole dash is a bit of a nightmare so I’ve been told, never attempted myself as I already have the the full leather option, can see why you want to do it though especially if it can be swapped for the 996 with 911 cluster 

3 hours ago, Sanky said:

Think they are all same from what I can see on the net

Does your car have extended leather.? 

If it does, then this includes the dash, and it looks much nicer then the standard offering imo. 

24 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Does your car have extended leather.? 

If it does, then this includes the dash, and it looks much nicer then the standard offering imo. 

Mine has the basic interior, I have already fitted the leather door cards.  Hence why I’m looking at doing the dash.  I could probably look for a leather dash pod for the 986 cluster to go with the dash and call it a day at that.

Instruments-wise the 996 has oil pressure and battery charge dials as a second set of outer dials.  They will fit the 986 but you have to Dremmel out the plastic carefully to get the extra width in, and the make sure the dial pod you get is compatible with the DME and other electronics in your car and you have to wire in the battery gauge and put a pressure tapping in to get the OP gauge working.  And reprogramme your mileage etc into the new pod - you need someone with a PRS2 or PRS3 system and some decent knowledge (Richard Hamilton may be?) to do this I believe.  There are various guides including in the 101 Projects book or on the Pelican Parts website.

14 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Instruments-wise the 996 has oil pressure and battery charge dials as a second set of outer dials.  They will fit the 986 but you have to Dremmel out the plastic carefully to get the extra width in, and the make sure the dial pod you get is compatible with the DME and other electronics in your car and you have to wire in the battery gauge and put a pressure tapping in to get the OP gauge working.  And reprogramme your mileage etc into the new pod - you need someone with a PRS2 or PRS3 system and some decent knowledge (Richard Hamilton may be?) to do this I believe.  There are various guides including in the 101 Projects book or on the Pelican Parts website.

I not doing the instrument cluster swap, just  a leather dash swap from 996 or 986.  Unless I can find a cheapish 996 cluster 

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

It’s a bit more complicated on the facelift models if you’ve got the MOST fibre optic radio because the radio is also coded to the cluster. The 996 manual clusters are pretty rare and expensive from what I’ve seen.

Archived