Headlight washer MOT Requirment?

alank

Hi, I Have Bi-Zenon Headlights with PDLS, am i correct in thinking these are neither HID or LED. The reason i ask is i have an MOT coming up and probably never checked if the washers even work.          If not required for MOT , will forget about it, Ha Ha.   ( They are required for HUD/LED). Cheers alan

1 minute ago, alank said:

Hi, I Have Bi-Zenon Headlights with PDLS, am i correct in thinking these are neither HID or LED. The reason i ask is i have an MOT coming up and probably never checked if the washers even work.          If not required for MOT , will forget about it, Ha Ha.   ( They are required for HUD/LED). Cheers alan

Hi Alan,

Can't comment on the MOT requirement but you could always check if they work and if they do, forget about it then?

I believe they are required for your xenon/HIDs. 

Had my washers for 10 years and not even sure how to activate them!

just check the manual / another helpful owner here, and perhaps check there is still water going to them and they aren't gummed up through lack of use. Not sure of any other reason why they wouldn't work. 

40 minutes ago, Carmine said:

Xenon = HID = MOT fail if they don’t work on a car registered after 1 Sept 2009.

I don't think that's true. 

Standard 981S headlights are Xenon/HID (whatever) but don't have headlight washers as they are only 25W.  The optional lights have washers installed as it's a legal requirement due to the wattage (35W bulbs fitted).

55 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

I don't think that's true. 

Standard 981S headlights are Xenon/HID (whatever) but don't have headlight washers as they are only 25W.  The optional lights have washers installed as it's a legal requirement due to the wattage (35W bulbs fitted).

And I don't think that's true. 🙂

Standard lights are 55W H7 halogens - no headlamp washers required. See part number 4 in the attached PET extract.

MOT regs do not look at bulb ratings - they simply say that if LED or HID (xenon) lights are fitted and the car was registered after 1 Sept 2009 then the headlamp washers must work.

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 11.11.41.png

The construction law says that lights putting out more than 2000 lumens need to have washers.  MoT law says washers must work where fitted. There are various arguments about what happens to aftermarket HID etc.

OP has PDLS, washers will be fitted, he should check they work before going to MoT.

Indeed - MOT regs test what's there. The irony is that if they were removed and the holes filled in with no obvious signs of what had been done then the car couldn't fail on that point.

I have an old 911 with a vacuum operated headlamp level adjustment controlled by a thumb wheel next to the switch. It failed because the thumbwheel was present but the system no longer worked. Removed the thumbwheel and fitted a blanking plate and it passed!

The UK MOT system largely checks what's present - it doesn't have time to check for what *should* be present.

1 hour ago, Carmine said:

And I don't think that's true. 🙂

Standard lights are 55W H7 halogens - no headlamp washers required. See part number 4 in the attached PET extract.

MOT regs do not look at bulb ratings - they simply say that if LED or HID (xenon) lights are fitted and the car was registered after 1 Sept 2009 then the headlamp washers must work.

Not wishing to drag this on but I did say 981S, only the base 981 with standard lights has halogens.

Good point - you are absolutely correct. From a brochure "Clear glass halogen headlights are fitted as standard on the Boxster. The Boxster S is equipped, as standard, with Bi-Xenon headlights while the Boxster GTS has Bi-Xenon headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS).'

That said are there any 981Ss without headlamp washers? I think there might be in the US as their headlamp regs are different but I would be well surprised if there are any in Europe.

I've had two Boxsters - both with the original pathetic halogen dips. The first one I fitted with an HID conversion. So no self levelling or washers. Past two MOTs at different garages. This one is now fitted with LEDs as they have improved a lot in recent times. Again, it passed the MOT with no comment.

Easy to test the headlight washers are working on PDLS cars. Turn the headlights on then press the small button located underneath the wiper stalk. You should then get 2 sprays of washer fluid onto the headlights. If it is working you can't miss it as some spray will end up on the bonnet & windscreen....

3 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

Mine has standard 25W Xenon's and don't have headlamp washers. 

Upgraded headlights weren't on my wishlist, I don't use the car in Winter and very rarely drive this at night.

Never realised these existed - HIDs that don't require headlamp washers - every day is a school day.

7 minutes ago, Madlil said:

Easy to test the headlight washers are working on PDLS cars. Turn the headlights on then press the small button located underneath the wiper stalk. You should then get 2 sprays of washer fluid onto the headlights. If it is working you can't miss it as some spray will end up on the bonnet & windscreen....

Everyday is a school day, had no idea that button existed, assumed lights were washed same time as windscreen. 😳

10 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Everyday is a school day, had no idea that button existed, assumed lights were washed same time as windscreen. 😳

Same!  I've just popped into the garage and found the button underneath the stalk 😬

8 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I didn't test mine as it's under cover in the garage (which I crawled into to have a look 😀 )

Well it is a day for discoveries mate, apparently I have a kitchen, who knew?

Just read an auto express test on replacements for H7 bulbs. 

Philips Ultinon Pro9000 HL led is by far the best replacement but because of outdated legislation illegal; current law states that bulbs must contain a filament. Technology way ahead of legislation.

Legal bulb results were

Tewnty20 plus 150

Philips racing vision gt 200

Osram night breaker laser.

My 981S came with the lower power 25w xenon's which I upgraded to 35w and added the night breakers, a world of difference!😃

The system will squirt water from the headlight washers after 10 times (IIRC) of the windscreen washers used whilst the headlights are on. Read that in the manual dont you know..... and yes you can also press the button on the stalk........if like me your a bit of a polisher as well as a summer driver they make a friggin mess of the front of the car....i have to clean the front after every MOT. boo

Just pressed the button, wife now changing. So I think mine works. The water level was brimming, so I don't think I've used the washers since last March service, they must have topped it up, I haven't even checked it!!!

Archived