Broken headlamp - thoughts?

beaks

Hi folks, whilst fitting a main beam bulb to my 987, the whole housing that it goes into snapped clean away...

Looks like it's only held in with two screws... not sure if it's the cold making it brittle or me being ham fisted, but nevertheless it's broke.

Total ball ache but I've got it secured in place with a bodge even Ed China would be proud of... but it's not a full time fix.

After seeing how much second hand units are, I wondered if anyone here has opened a unit up?

You can't take 'the guts' out of the back where you fit the bulbs - looks like a right mission but hey, if anyone has come across this or has a N/S projector unit going cheap... give me a shout...!

Cheers,

Ian B

If it's broken and otherwise useless then I'd be trying to fix it on the basis that if you don't get anywhere you'd be buying a new one anyway. Do you have any photos of the damage? 

I know it's a very different assembly but the headlights on a 944 were the same as those on a Mk2 golf but with different lugs on the bowl at the back to mount them on the car. Golf ones were about £15, 944 ones were comfortably ten times that amount. However if you put them in the oven and warmed them up then the glue went soft and you could take the fronts off and swap them with the Golf ones. I wonder if you could do something similar to dismantle the 987 ones? 

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

thanks chap.

it's a tough shout as 'for now' it's ok but I worry about it falling apart again whilst out and about...

I'd kinda set aside some money to get my wheels refurbed and can't do both.

fun times...

On 1/25/2021 at 9:30 PM, beaks said:

thanks chap.

it's a tough shout as 'for now' it's ok but I worry about it falling apart again whilst out and about...

I'd kinda set aside some money to get my wheels refurbed and can't do both.

fun times...

The dilemma of Boxster ownership - bling or repairs.

On 1/24/2021 at 2:58 PM, zcacogp said:

know it's a very different assembly but the headlights on a 944 were the same as those on a Mk2 golf but with different lugs on the bowl at the back to mount them on the car. Golf ones were about £15, 944 ones were comfortably ten times that amount. However if you put them in the oven and warmed them up then the glue went soft and you could take the fronts off and swap them with the Golf ones. I wonder if you could do something similar to dismantle the 987 ones? 

986 could go in the oven, not heard of 987 being baked. 

27 minutes ago, iborguk said:

@beaksShows someone taking apart some 997 lights with pics , don't know if that gives some pointers.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tech-how/274857-diy-porsche-997-turbo-oem-koito-bi-xenon-clear-lens-swap.html

@iborgukthanks for that chap. thing is, my (bodge) repair seems to be working just fine, but I don't like the fact it's a bodge... so I won't rest until I make a proper repair or replace it - so you may have just saved me some cash!

17 hours ago, beaks said:

@iborgukthanks for that chap. thing is, my (bodge) repair seems to be working just fine, but I don't like the fact it's a bodge... so I won't rest until I make a proper repair or replace it - so you may have just saved me some cash!

I'm the same. If I know something isn't right then I will not be happy until its fixed properly.

Archived