6 year service, 111 and warranty renewal

Angelus666

Afternoon all, last week I took the 981 BGTS to OPC Cambridge for it's 6 year service, 111 and warranty renewal. The guys there were as good as can be expected, got a nice 992 C2S cabriolet for a couple of days as a loaner, super fast, lovely daily, noise not as good as the GTS though. Normally I would only go inde, but it's only been to OPC and I wanted to added the warranty to it (had the Redline one before), so thought it was worth the extra dollar. They did the intermediate service, brake fluid, air filter, drive belt and rear wall flap removed and installed (have no idea what that is for £69...?) and a 111 check for £1154. How does that compare to what you guys have paid from different places? 

The car passed with no advisory other than the exhaust bolts, which they said weren't a warranty item anyway. They also passed it through with my Zunsport grills on the car. Warranty for two years is £1190, which isn't too bad in my opinion. 

Sounds like you got a good service and price and a 911 loaner into the deal, imagine the cost to hire a like 911 for a couple of days!!!  :)

Well currently you shouldn’t have to pay for the 111 point check if it is currently in warranty and you are extending.  I would query that as it will be a good chunk on the cost.   The rear wall removal is just so they can access the drive belt,  surprised it’s listed as a separate item!

good to get a 911, Ive had Macans, 718s and Panameras but no 911.

54 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Well currently you shouldn’t have to pay for the 111 point check if it is currently in warranty and you are extending. 

OP mentioned his original warranty is through Redline so presumably it would require the 111 point check to take out Porsche cover.

Just out of interest, can somebody explain more about the OPC warranty terms and conditions, or point me towards a link that gives more details in simple layman's terms. I'm looking at a 981 Cayman that has a few months warranty left, and I'd be interested to know how to extend the warranty when it runs out, plus the costs involved and what it covers/doesn't cover, and whether it is worth the money.

Cheers :thumbsup_anim:

Just now, Davey P said:

Just out of interest, can somebody explain more about the OPC warranty terms and conditions, or point me towards a link that gives more details in simple layman's terms. I'm looking at a 981 Cayman that has a few months warranty left, and I'd be interested to know how to extend the warranty when it runs out, plus the costs involved and what it covers/doesn't cover, and whether it is worth the money.

I don't have a link, but it's generally very good, and pretty similar to the new car warranty. It'll cover all the key mechanical parts, but nothing that is deemed normal wear and tear. If you currently have a Porsche warranty in place I believe you don't need to pay for the 111 and just renew over the phone. 

IMO it's a no brainer for £1190 for 2 years. You get to drive the car without the worry of stuff going bang and it will certainly add value come re-sale time. This also comes with Porsche Assist, so you save a £100 or so from not needing the AA/RAC. 

As above. It depends very much on how you run your cars. The warranty is good value (IMo) and comprehensive, however there are a few catches:

Car must be stock, I.e. Porsche battery, Porsche brake parts, full matching set of N rating tyres etc.  You can in Theory be serviced outside OPC but makes things a bit more of a challenge.

if your car is fully OPC serviced and currently within warranty and you aren’t inclined to mod and happy to use N rated tyres etc etc the. I would say it’s worth it.

The reason I asked is because the car I am very interested in states in the advert: "Covered by the balance of the comprehensive Porsche warranty plan, which runs until July 2021 and can be extended".  I thought it would be worth extending the warranty for two years if I ended up buying that car, just for some peace of mind.  However, I think it's unlikely it will still be on the market by the time I am able to move anyway, plus the Covid rules aren't helping matters.  For what it's worth, the car has got a full OPC service history, but I don't know about the tyres and battery.

Sorry for the thread hijack, I was just curious to find out more about the warranty, that's all.

5 hours ago, Davey P said:

It's all down to personal choice. I came with an aversion to paying excess taxes and the Porsche tax, for me is daylight robbery.

I had no choice originally, buying from West London OPC (AVOID THEM). After getting stung for their added "lack of value tax" after the first service,I went the way of a reputable, recommended independent.  Revolution Porsche in Brighouse, they use genuine OEM parts, a reasonable hourly rate AND owners, engineers that are trustworthy.

I had only one instance to use the cars original warranty and that didn't go well!

Like you Davey, I prefer a manual gear box, so there is no expensive pdk to replace. I've spent a small portion of the money I've saved on enhancements; X73 sports suspension, sports headers, mapping and other performance mods.

If you want to try out other cars in the Porsche range, hire them at the PEC. There you can really rag them in relative safety and you get an instructor.  I usually go a couple of times a year and at £280 ish, still cheaper than the porsche tax😃.

My car was eight years old last October and I'm still laughing all the way to the bank😃.

Only you can make that choice, it's worked out well for me and I am known to drive it like I stole it😂.

It's only my opinion, after all🧐.

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

The reason I asked is because the car I am very interested in states in the advert: "Covered by the balance of the comprehensive Porsche warranty plan, which runs until July 2021 and can be extended".  I thought it would be worth extending the warranty for two years if I ended up buying that car, just for some peace of mind.  However, I think it's unlikely it will still be on the market by the time I am able to move anyway, plus the Covid rules aren't helping matters.  For what it's worth, the car has got a full OPC service history, but I don't know about the tyres and battery.

Sorry for the thread hijack, I was just curious to find out more about the warranty, that's all.

Think I sent some of this to you on a PM but a recap of what I was quoted re my 987.2 as a guide.

Car has to be have been last serviced by an OPC

For onboarding a car onto the warranty 111 pt check - normally £216 (that is negotiable)

£1270 quoted to me for 2 years warranty. 1 year is also an option.

Porsche Assistance is extra (useful in Europe, stories of people have 911's as courtesy cars until their car has been rescued and fixed)

The warranty is an insurance policy, which basically says "play by our rules" re parts and maintenance.

On 2/9/2021 at 3:40 PM, Angelus666 said:

Afternoon all, last week I took the 981 BGTS to OPC Cambridge for it's 6 year service, 111 and warranty renewal. The guys there were as good as can be expected, got a nice 992 C2S cabriolet for a couple of days as a loaner, super fast, lovely daily, noise not as good as the GTS though. Normally I would only go inde, but it's only been to OPC and I wanted to added the warranty to it (had the Redline one before), so thought it was worth the extra dollar. They did the intermediate service, brake fluid, air filter, drive belt and rear wall flap removed and installed (have no idea what that is for £69...?) and a 111 check for £1154. How does that compare to what you guys have paid from different places? 

The car passed with no advisory other than the exhaust bolts, which they said weren't a warranty item anyway. They also passed it through with my Zunsport grills on the car. Warranty for two years is £1190, which isn't too bad in my opinion. 

Cambridge are also my "goto" OPC, generally good experiences so far and nice courtesy cars, like you said.

Archived