Extended Warranty Advice

Rooose

My car came with 6 months warranty from Warrantywise when I bought it in Dec 2020 which I extended to 26 months for about £1000. Repairs (up to £5000) can be carried out at an independent or an OPC. I agreed a labour rate of up to£100. If I want to go to an OPC I'll just pay the extra. The car had a major full blown service at an OPC in July 2020 and I may go back to an OPC in July 2022 for the next service. We'll see, I've always been happy with Northway in the past but it would be nice to continue the full OPC history but that may be a waste of money......

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've, just started my Motoreasy Cover  this month. I got 18 months cover for £790.  This includes - £200 +vat /hr labour rate, Individual claim limit value of car, up to value of car.- No excess on claims. - Had Betterment clause taken out. -100% Parts and Labour paid, - MOT Failure covered, - European Cover.   Plus no need to have servicing done at an OPC.  Gives me a little peace of mind, who knows!!

I’ve had warranty since new but have just made the decision not to renew. It was getting silly with any claim being rejected and classified as wear and tear.  (Seals allowing excess wind noise in at 32,000 miles, rejected.  Snapped front spring due to corrosion at 47,000 miles, rejected.  On one incident I was quoted £2350 by OPC for a repair that turned out to be a £2.36 bolt that had come loose.  I went all the way to Porsche GB and eventually the OPC made a generous gesture to rectify.  

1 hour ago, mightymetro said:

I’ve had warranty since new but have just made the decision not to renew. It was getting silly with any claim being rejected and classified as wear and tear.  (Seals allowing excess wind noise in at 32,000 miles, rejected.  Snapped front spring due to corrosion at 47,000 miles, rejected.  On one incident I was quoted £2350 by OPC for a repair that turned out to be a £2.36 bolt that had come loose.  I went all the way to Porsche GB and eventually the OPC made a generous gesture to rectify.  

Wow. Don’t leave us in suspense 😂😂 What sort of gesture? Obviously understand reasons behind not naming the OPC but I’m sure you could share the gesture 👍

12 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Wow. Don’t leave us in suspense 😂😂 What sort of gesture? Obviously understand reasons behind not naming the OPC but I’m sure you could share the gesture 👍

Paying for the bolt I expect! 

All my claims (so far) have been payed and rectified with no quibbles. However I expect if I had had your experience I would also be binning the warranty.   Obviously your car gets to a certain mileage where the ‘wear and tear’ argument becomes more and more likely/reasonable.  There is, however, an ‘exhaustive’ list in the warranty document that defines what wear and tear items might include; however I don’t think coil springs is in this list so unless they could actually show corrosion had significantly weakened the spring it seems a dubious rejection to me (of course all coil springs will have some surface corrosion after just a few thousand miles).

2 hours ago, mightymetro said:

This is really interesting. I know most would fully endorse having the warranty, and I can see why.

When I was initially enquiring about the extended warranty, I pushed quite hard to get some proper definition around wear and tear but the answers were always ambiguous at best. As stated in a previous post, Audi for instance explicitly state wear and tear cover upto 100,000 miles - it's a shame Porsche can't be a little more specific. It seems in some cases its down to luck of the draw or how kind your OPC want to be......

• 2 weeks later...

Warranty was invaluable on my 2012 Boxster, think I might have been one of the first to suffer the dreaded blocked drain holes/cracked 'funnel having had an indoor swimming pool....twice!  (they fixed one side and not the other).

That was about 1200-1500 a time, include fried Bose amps (a delicacy in France I hear).

Peace of mind, but the 'wear and tear' theme is a bit of a concern.  Maybe depends on the OPCs interpretation? 

13 minutes ago, Simo_UK said:

Warranty was invaluable on my 2012 Boxster, think I might have been one of the first to suffer the dreaded blocked drain holes/cracked 'funnel having had an indoor swimming pool....twice!  (they fixed one side and not the other).

That was about 1200-1500 a time, include fried Bose amps (a delicacy in France I hear).

Peace of mind, but the 'wear and tear' theme is a bit of a concern.  Maybe depends on the OPCs interpretation? 

Very much 'which way the wind blows' in my experience

You take insurance to give you peace of mind, if the organisation controlling it fail to give you this then IMO it makes the argument for having it slightly less compelling

On 3/12/2021 at 11:40 AM, Ringmaster999 said:

I got a minor and a major service as a goodwill gesture. !!!!!!

I would have been happy to explain from the  begining to the end in the dirty tricks and terrible service and even lies that were spouted but the dealer principle in my eyes dealt with it in a professional manner once proded from Porsche UK so I don’t want to undermine the fact he did deal with the issues and problems and then air it all in fine detail etc 

hope you understand 

On the flip side, I was happy to have the warranty for the first 5 years as it is much harder to argue the wear and tear side and it’s good to know you are covered for the major stuff 

1 hour ago, mightymetro said:

I got a minor and a major service as a goodwill gesture. !!!!!!

I would have been happy to explain from the  begining to the end in the dirty tricks and terrible service and even lies that were spouted but the dealer principle in my eyes dealt with it in a professional manner once proded from Porsche UK so I don’t want to undermine the fact he did deal with the issues and problems and then air it all in fine detail etc 

hope you understand 

On the flip side, I was happy to have the warranty for the first 5 years as it is much harder to argue the wear and tear side and it’s good to know you are covered for the major stuff 

That sounds like an acceptable outcome and sounds like your happy with that. So win win 👍

I did have the wear and tear excuse when mine was in for a major service and warranty inspection,  Had to stand firm with them.  Once they started the wear and Tear excuse,  all corresponding was by email and alot more formal

Apparently Porsche are happy to warranty cars up to 15 years old now and if you have an existing warranty running, you can renew it anytime before expiry without requiring an inspection. Renewals are for one, two or three years.

On 3/12/2021 at 10:32 AM, mightymetro said:

On one incident I was quoted £2350 by OPC for a repair that turned out to be a £2.36 bolt that had come loose.  I went all the way to Porsche GB and eventually the OPC made a generous gesture to rectify.  

Wasn't the PDK bleeder screw?

Archived