I think my head gasket has gone :-(

M9G UK

Have you by any chance been driving in a spirited manner in say 3rd gear at highish revs and gone round a long or tight left hand bend. 
I have in the past had clouds of smoke which cleared and on starting up the following day again had loads of smoke. Didn’t make any difference to the way the car ran. 
Had AOS replaced and can still replicate symptoms.

Check if the oil filler cap is hard to remove with the engine running.ie usual AOS check symptom for failure 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, M9G UK said:

Driving yesterday was fine and suddenly great clouds of smoke out the exhaust for a few seconds then it stopped and car drove lovely for another 15 minutes home. Fired up this morning and again clouds of white smoke bellowing out the back, doesnt smell of fuel or oil and the water bottle is empty. Doesnt sounds like its missing, and ticks over lovely.

😪😪😪😪😪😪

Hope you get this sorted and when you do and fancy a blat out,drop me a line - plenty here in Somerset that likes a good blast :)

Si

6 minutes ago, Pordave said:

Have you by any chance been driving in a spirited manner in say 3rd gear at highish revs and gone round a long or tight left hand bend. 
I have in the past had clouds of smoke which cleared and on starting up the following day again had loads of smoke. Didn’t make any difference to the way the car ran. 

Check if the oil filler cap is hard to remove with the engine running.ie usual AOS check symptom for failure 

Did you ever find out what the cure for this was?-Was you running with a low level of oil?

7 minutes ago, Pordave said:

That wouldn’t account for the loss of water though 🤔

Ok so i disconnected the pipe from the AOS and the intake and blocked the hole in the intake, ran the car for a good quarter of an hour, there is smoke coming out of the pipe from the AOS (not alot compared to the amount coming out of the exhaust) andthe exhaust was clear. I will say though it cleared yesterday after i had the big puff of smoke and was fine.

Car sounds absolutely fine, I would think it would be rough if the head gasket had gone between water way and cylinder.

Im going to order a new AOS and keep my fingers crossed. 

Those of you that have replaced their AOS is there any other parts you realized you needed to order or did you just order the AOS?

Thanks

53 minutes ago, Pordave said:

Well i wouldnt say spirited but you cant pull away slow from a junction in a 986 🙂

Filler cap didnt seem that difficult although there was some definite vacuum pressure. Problem is i have never removed it so dont know whats its like normally

Replying to the low reservoir. I had been out for a run got home and blipped the throttle before switching off the ignition, I heard a pop and water was pouring out near the rear wheel. I couldn’t find any burst pipes or split tank. I topped system back up and thought I had solved the problem. Two days later water level was down. I could only assume thermostat blocked as temp marginally higher than normal. Bled system by the book and have never had trouble since. 
My final conclusion was an airlock 

Other thing that has been discussed before is that the oil scavenge pump (and there one on each side) can’t clear the oil away fast enough going round long or sharp corners. 
So the surplus oil has to go somewhere usually into the inlet manifold and it gets burnt off

3 minutes ago, Pordave said:

Other thing that has been discussed before is that the oil scavenge pump (and there one on each side) can’t clear the oil away fast enough going round long or sharp corners. 
So the surplus oil has to go somewhere usually into the inlet manifold and it gets burnt off

ok thanks

26 minutes ago, Pordave said:

is that the oil scavenge pump (and there one on each side)

Is that right?

Only ask because the X51 kit for the 996 install included a second oil scavenge pump to pull pooling oil out of the heads. 

Maybe I’m getting confused because the engines are mounted the other way round in the 996 compared to the Boxster. 

29 minutes ago, Pordave said:

Thanks - went looking for further explanation and realise I am getting confused with the additional scavenge pump used in the X51. 

Appreciate the clarification. 

4 hours ago, M9G UK said:

Well i wouldnt say spirited but you cant pull away slow from a junction in a 986 🙂

Filler cap didnt seem that difficult although there was some definite vacuum pressure. Problem is i have never removed it so dont know whats its like normally

It is notoriously tight in most cases, and it makes it worse as you can’t get a really good grip on it.

9 minutes ago, the baron said:

It is notoriously tight in most cases, and it makes it worse as you can’t get a really good grip on it.

Wear a rigger or gardening glove if you have one to get more purchase. 

I started wearing TIG welding gloves a few years ago when working on cars, good feel and good grip as well as good knuckle and fore arm protection.

Rare for one of these to do HG. Take the cover off underneath the car and look for signs of coolant loss. I'm with others that there is some sort of AOS issue.

If a head gasket goes the car will run lumpy as a lumpy thing as it either heats up or water gets in the combustion chamber.

Do the basics before you declare Armageddon and be wary of people just suggesting stuff, due diligence is required.

If the AOS has gone and has been going for some time then a lot of the intake will be covered in oil so you will show these symptoms for a long time until you clean it up. 

16 hours ago, Shazbot said:

Rare for one of these to do HG. Take the cover off underneath the car and look for signs of coolant loss. I'm with others that there is some sort of AOS issue.

If a head gasket goes the car will run lumpy as a lumpy thing as it either heats up or water gets in the combustion chamber.

Do the basics before you declare Armageddon and be wary of people just suggesting stuff, due diligence is required.

yeah when i got home and thought about it I too thought if it was coolant in the combustion chamber then it would run rough. I have ordered a new AOS so fingers crossed thats the fault

Cheers

16 hours ago, edc said:

If the AOS has gone and has been going for some time then a lot of the intake will be covered in oil so you will show these symptoms for a long time until you clean it up. 

Ok thanks, first sign of it was on saturday with a few second blast of smoke, New AOS on order

Cheers

For the AOS, order a new  hose clamp with a plastic clip which keeps it open untill placed. Sorry if the description is not clear but I cant remember the correct name. The bolts on mine where corroded so took ages to remove.  Fiddly job but not inpossible. 

19 hours ago, beicmynydd said:

For the AOS, order a new  hose clamp with a plastic clip which keeps it open untill placed. Sorry if the description is not clear but I cant remember the correct name. The bolts on mine where corroded so took ages to remove.  Fiddly job but not inpossible. 

now you tell me lol

Archived