I think my head gasket has gone :-(

M9G UK

AOS replaced, phew!!!!! OMG what a job that is, bloody thing. That bottom pipe ggrrrrrrrr. Used Mole grips to keep the clip open and then dropped the AOS down into place with the mole grips still attached, reached up from underneath got pipe on then just unclipped the mole grips but my god that is tight all up around there.

Will take it for a good drive at the weekend and see how it goes, fingers crossed all is good

I'll let you know the result

Cheers for your help, much appreciated

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, M9G UK said:

AOS replaced, phew!!!!! OMG what a job that is, bloody thing. That bottom pipe ggrrrrrrrr. Used Mole grips to keep the clip open and then dropped the AOS down into place with the mole grips still attached, reached up from underneath got pipe on then just unclipped the mole grips but my god that is tight all up around there.

Will take it for a good drive at the weekend and see how it goes, fingers crossed all is good

Well done on getting It done.

A couple tips for anyone doing this job:

- Do not use a spring clip to attach the new bellow but a jubilee clip, far easier to install and remove in the future

- If you are installing a new AOS, just cut the rubber bellow with a blade and then you will easily be able to remove the old clip once the separator is out.

14 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Well done on getting It done.

A couple tips for anyone doing this job:

- Do not use a spring clip to attach the new bellow but a jubilee clip, far easier to install and remove in the future

- If you are installing a new AOS, just cut the rubber bellow with a blade and then you will easily be able to remove the old clip once the separator is out.

Thankyou

agree with you on cutting the bellows at the bottom as this does make life easier removing old one but the use of a jubilee clip im not so sure, i had considered using one as was struggling to use the original spring clips but getting in through that tiny gap and trying to do a screw up with a screw driver or even a ratchet would be so difficult. Once I had realised clamping the spring clip with mole grips before installing the AOS was a good choice as it did go a lot smoother doing it this way. I suppose its down to personal preference and what works for you. At least there is a couple of options for others to choose from.

Cheers

23 minutes ago, M9G UK said:

Thankyou

agree with you on cutting the bellows at the bottom as this does make life easier removing old one but the use of a jubilee clip im not so sure, i had considered using one as was struggling to use the original spring clips but getting in through that tiny gap and trying to do a screw up with a screw driver or even a ratchet would be so difficult. Once I had realised clamping the spring clip with mole grips before installing the AOS was a good choice as it did go a lot smoother doing it this way. I suppose its down to personal preference and what works for you. At least there is a couple of options for others to choose from.

Cheers

It is all just experience.

I have done 2 separators this week and they are less than a 10 min job :)

2 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

10mins job!!! Not for the earlier style with the bottom bellows surely 😯

Yep

Unclip top and side pipe, 2 10mm's with the electric ratchet and either cut the bellow or pull the whole AOS up firmly and you usually find that the whole things comes out in one go.

If not just slice through the rubber as per above 👍

4 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Lol ok fair enough. Took me ages...though the whole area around it was coated in a thick layer of oily disgusting cr*p where the bellows had split, so at least two hours was spent cleaning the engine block off.

haha

You see, if you did it again it would take you less than half that etc :)

1 hour ago, jonogt6 said:

Lol ok fair enough. Took me ages...though the whole area around it was coated in a thick layer of oily disgusting cr*p where the bellows had split, so at least two hours was spent cleaning the engine block off.

that oily disgusting cr*p is stopping it from rusting 🙂

Now ive done one i know i could do it a lot quicker but not so sure about ten minutes, would take me that just to get up of the floor after putting the axle stands under

On 3/17/2021 at 5:44 PM, M9G UK said:

Result - glad it worked out.

I had the AOS start to go on mine which caused some interesting PDK codes and it didn't show the billowy smoke.

I guess in my case I caught it earlier due to different symptoms.

Just now, iborguk said:

Result - glad it worked out.

I had the AOS start to go on mine which caused some interesting PDK codes and it didn't show the billowy smoke.

I guess in my case I caught it earlier due to different symptoms.

How dose the AOS affect the PDK or was it oil contamination on the electrical/sensor bits on the 'box?

8 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

How dose the AOS affect the PDK or was it oil contamination on the electrical/sensor bits on the 'box?

ECU kept throwing PDK into " transmission emergency run" mode intermittently due to the MAF getting contaminated with oil and fuel mixture arguments between MAF and ECU. 

ECU threw "Where's my mum ?"

IMG_4335

5 hours ago, M9G UK said:

that oily disgusting cr*p is stopping it from rusting 🙂

Now ive done one i know i could do it a lot quicker but not so sure about ten minutes, would take me that just to get up of the floor after putting the axle stands under

Not if you had a ramp 😉

I am not some master technician, I only know 986's :) 

All self taught; just done an IMS EPS bearing, clutch, RMS etc

It is only nuts and bolts :) 

2 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Not if you had a ramp 😉

I am not some master technician, I only know 986's :) 

All self taught; just done an IMS EPS bearing, clutch, RMS etc

It is only nuts and bolts :) 

Wow, good man!  If I had a ramp I'd certainly be prepared to tackle more, though I'm not doing badly for only having a flat driveway.

They are only nuts and bolts.

Archived