DIY Mesh Grill (looking for ideas!)

beaks

I decided to do something a little different - 

IMG-1768.jpg

looks a little more subtle with the bumper on -

IMG-1772.jpg

if I did it again I may have used slightly less 'thicker' grill, but it doesn't seem to have any detrimental effect to cooling.

oh, and yes, the screws are rusty and look gash - new ones due soon!

cheers,

ian b

@beaks that looks like a great idea, solves any issues with getting the bumper to fit when there is too much overlap mesh behind the front intake (as the mesh pushes against the intake cowling).

I decided to go fully dark so that I could not see the plastic intake cowling at all from a glance.

vLCMqx0.png

Edited by GreenBhoy

Interestingly, mentioned grills to a local mobile aircon chap who will be regassing mine on Monday after I replace the condensers and drier this weekend - and his opinion / experience was stone damage was rare and it's actually road salt that kills the condensers.  Thinking about it and reading the threads, it seems a common issue in 8-10 year old cars, so maybe he's right...

Irrespective , I will be fitting home made grills behind the intakes as well.

Common opinion here is not road salt or stones, but autumn leaves sitting there wet and decomposing, which the mesh also helps stop.

Anyway, no-one can work out why Porsche didn't do it from factory, the "airflow" argument seems tenuous at best. The "costs" argument seems more likely.

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Common opinion here is not road salt or stones, but autumn leaves sitting there wet and decomposing, which the mesh also helps stop.

And the moisture in the leaves has the aggressive corrosive ions in it from the road salt just to make it rot faster. A bit of both and the mesh will top twigs and leaves getting in, as well as insects as I'm currently finding on my new grilles.

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2021 at 11:47 AM, GreenBhoy said:

@beaks that looks like a great idea, solves any issues with getting the bumper to fit when there is too much overlap mesh behind the front intake (as the mesh pushes against the intake cowling).

I decided to go fully dark so that I could not see the plastic intake cowling at all from a glance.

vLCMqx0.png

thanks man. sometimes it's nice to do something different.

yours suit the colour of your car

(no sh*t, but on lighter cars it doesn't look so good, hence why I did something different)

• 1 year later...
On 3/23/2021 at 7:43 PM, AdyG said:

@beaks, I've made some for mine and an happy to send you the template if that would help? Although biased I think they look really good. I'm in Huntingdon so if you want to swing by and have a look you are more than welcome.

Ady would you be willing to share the template? We’re you able to fit like the American product (not taking bumper off, have no desire, tOols or skills)? 
thanks 

stuart 

I've done this recently on my 987.1.... it is definitely a bumper off job... but reasonably easy.

SmKQLhy.jpg

I tried x2 different 'meshes' first one being a plastic honeycomb... after much swearing, cutting and scratching my head I gave up as I just couldn't get it to pull in properly at the bottom. There's a fair amount of curvature in both planes on a Boxster (I have a feeling Cayman vents are slightly easier). 

I then reverted to a black coated wire mesh which was easier to cut and bend.. .also painted my grille vents black gloss whilst the bumper was off.

I actually found a template which somebody had done.... I will send the link below.

I also have a sheet of plastic honeycomb mesh if anybody wants it for free.

On 7/19/2022 at 12:51 AM, Stujoed said:

Ady would you be willing to share the template? We’re you able to fit like the American product (not taking bumper off, have no desire, tOols or skills)? 
thanks 

stuart 

@Stujoed

Mine are similar to the ones that Laney456 has shared the link to the template. Mine was a bumper off job too, not sure how else fit them without. 

Cheers Ady 

Thanks for replies and help. I am not on Facebook so it won’t let me access the page with the pdf. Can anyone possibly share it another way? Thanks 

The American (no bumper removal) I referred to was this that was via an earlier message in this thread/topic. Happy with their cable tie attachment as I have black car with black vents. 
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/f13388_cacc3244e67043bf85dac08a4450170a.pdf

On 7/20/2022 at 10:24 PM, Stujoed said:

Thanks for replies and help. I am not on Facebook so it won’t let me access the page with the pdf. Can anyone possibly share it another way? Thanks 

The American (no bumper removal) I referred to was this that was via an earlier message in this thread/topic. Happy with their cable tie attachment as I have black car with black vents. 
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/f13388_cacc3244e67043bf85dac08a4450170a.pdf

They sell this at Design 911.  It's quite hard to tell exactly how you install it from that PDF though.
https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod151310/Front-bumper-side-grille-wire-mesh-kit-Porsche-987-Gen-1-Boxster-and-Boxster-S/

7 hours ago, ChrisW2 said:

They sell this at Design 911.  It's quite hard to tell exactly how you install it from that PDF though.
https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod151310/Front-bumper-side-grille-wire-mesh-kit-Porsche-987-Gen-1-Boxster-and-Boxster-S/

Same product and install guide as the American website/product referred to further above in this thread but cheaper I think. Thanks. Bought some mesh and am going to have a go with the templates kindly shared by others on here. If I fail this might be a fall back! 

1 hour ago, TROOPER88 said:

How straightforward is front bumper removal on a 987.2?

Same as a 986?

Do the headlights need to be removed?

Cheers 

Don’t know about 986, but 987.2 is fairly easy. A few Torx bolts and two sliding clips. Lots of vids on YouTube.

When you release the last few might be worth having a spare pair of hands to take off both sides at the same time and disconnect any fogs or HL washers.

I believe that you can do it with the HL fitted, but I took them off as it’s only a 2 minute job.

Best of luck 

Mike

3 minutes ago, Mike1960 said:

Don’t know about 986, but 987.2 is fairly easy. A few Torx bolts and two sliding clips. Lots of vids on YouTube.

When you release the last few might be worth having a spare pair of hands to take off both sides at the same time and disconnect any fogs or HL washers.

I believe that you can do it with the HL fitted, but I took them off as it’s only a 2 minute job.

Best of luck 

Mike

Thanks Mike, much appreciated. 

On 7/21/2022 at 7:29 AM, AdyG said:

@Stujoed, if you PM me your email address I can send you a pdf tonight if that would help.

Cheers Ady 

Thanks to Ady for the templates. Managed to fit without removing the bumper. Grainy pics to ensure file size small enough to be attached/uploaded. 

7A9852F2-AE3B-40C2-9A0D-4D697CE42717.jpeg

F0DE0086-67A9-4BDE-8CA4-A0E2B5900B66.jpeg