DIY Mesh Grill (looking for ideas!)

beaks

Hi all,

To give the condensers half a chance I want to fit my own mesh to the front bumper.

I want to fix it behind the slats so a more subtle look than the Zunsports etc...

Has anyone does this before? Any ideas?

Also thinking of mesh type - probably the 'diamonds' should be a good size to allow decent airflow through the condenser and radiators...

Anyway, I'm here to be enlightened !

Thanks,

Ian B

15 minutes ago, MickH said:

I looked into this. Its unfortunately a bumper off job. So went for the black zunsports for ease

fair one - although I've had my bumper off (ironically, to replace knackered condensers!) and it was a royal piece of...

I've plenty of pdf's if you ever fancy a try bud 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, beaks said:

Hi all,

To give the condensers half a chance I want to fit my own mesh to the front bumper.

I want to fix it behind the slats so a more subtle look than the Zunsports etc...

Has anyone does this before? Any ideas?

Also thinking of mesh type - probably the 'diamonds' should be a good size to allow decent airflow through the condenser and radiators...

Anyway, I'm here to be enlightened !

Thanks,

Ian B

I want to do this too. Daz's video advises plastic coated Aluminium mesh. That's what I'm looking for. I going to pay a mechanic to change the condensers and the horn (low tone has given up the ghost). I'll cut the mesh myself & fit it while he's doing the real work.

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Used the same myself, attached it to the uprights in the black plastic frame using small black zip ties - invisible unless you know they're there.

You need to cut the mesh (which is hard work) pretty close to the required size otherwise it'll stop the bumper fitting back on again.

48213659902_877690b7f1_k_d.jpg

• Like 2

Very easy on a 986. So can't imagine much difference on a 987? Good thing is you have plenty of room behind to make sure they're secure without worrying if its too neat.
Bit of hot glue which can be removed in the future if needed without leaving marks, cable ties to hold in place whilst it dries. Once they've been cut off you can't see anything 😄

qJI8ltn.jpg  aXaN7l5.jpg 

Or, you can purchase from these guys in the States who I used, think a couple of other guys on here have used them too, they just slot in behind the blades and cable tie in position out of sight. Disliked the fact that Zunsports sit in front of the blades.......All the best, Mark.. 

https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/boxster-and-cayman-987-2

On my 986, I bought some wire mesh from B&Q (I think). Galvanised, so wont rust.

I cut it to size, bent it (slightly ) in half and inserted it between the grills. Then with long nose pliers, pulled it back into position.

Then secured with lockwire.

Not the neatest job in the world, but stops stuff getting to the rads (I don't have AC).

On the 987 Cayman I was going to do the same except the fog lamps get in the way !

So used the Zunsport items.

29 minutes ago, MAC99V said:

Or, you can purchase from these guys in the States who I used, think a couple of other guys on here have used them too, they just slot in behind the blades and cable tie in position out of sight. Disliked the fact that Zunsports sit in front of the blades.......All the best, Mark.. 

https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/boxster-and-cayman-987-2

From the photos on the website, it just looks like mesh. Is it even cut to size & shape? There doesn't appear to be a surrounding edge. I assume the price is for a pair, but that isn't clear. With shipping costs they become quite expensive. It seems surprising that no enterprising Brit can make or sell these.

@Christopher2110suggests hot glue to fix the mesh in place, dispensing with cable ties once its set. That seems like a neat suggestion, as long as it holds.

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

From the photos on the website, it just looks like mesh. Is it even cut to size & shape? There doesn't appear to be a surrounding edge. I assume the price is for a pair, but that isn't clear. With shipping costs they become quite expensive. It seems surprising that no enterprising Brit can make or sell these.

@Christopher2110suggests hot glue to fix the mesh in place, dispensing with cable ties once its set. That seems like a neat suggestion, as long as it holds.

Yes, does come pre cut to exact size and edged. I know a member in the passed few weeks spoke direct to the company and had shipping costs reduced...worth while though unless your handy and can knock up yourself....cheers, M

Taking the bumper off a 987.2 was a doddle. When I decided to do it I was a bit apprehensive, but 30mins later it was sitting  on the lawn and I was wondering what all the fuss was about.

Replacing was much the same. The other half helped to guide it on straight and level for the clips to go back on after that it was an easy job. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAC99V said:

Yes, does come pre cut to exact size and edged. I know a member in the passed few weeks spoke direct to the company and had shipping costs reduced...worth while though unless your handy and can knock up yourself....cheers, M

And just to clarify. When you order 1, you receive a pair?

@beaks, I've made some for mine and an happy to send you the template if that would help? Although biased I think they look really good. I'm in Huntingdon so if you want to swing by and have a look you are more than welcome.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:06 PM, McDonald said:

And just to clarify. When you order 1, you receive a pair?

correct, 1 pair......

• Like 1

Purchased some plastic grill in Halfords cheap as chips, took the front bumper off with help from a forum member here, made a template from a cornflakes box in true Blue Peter, style cut the grill with a hacksaw and held in place with black cable ties. Light weight, cost effective, looks good and does the job. Ferdinand P.  would proud 😁

6 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Purchased some plastic grill in Halfords cheap as chips, took the front bumper off with help from a forum member here, made a template from a cornflakes box in true Blue Peter, style cut the grill with a hacksaw and held in place with black cable ties. Light weight, cost effective, looks good and does the job. Ferdinand P.  would proud 😁

Should have used Bran Flakes box Bob, more fibre ;)

• Haha 1

I'm going to do this - I know how to get the bumper off on my Cayman 987.1 - but I found the fog light wiring harness would not budge (or I was doing it wrong). I have posted in the How To section, but that's a mistake as I was asking for help, not giving advice as a sticky! This:

lX7zKfT.png

There is a 1:1  template for the Cayman but not useul for the Boxter unfortunately

Was the 3.5mm x 5mm size the 'right' size/shape of hole do you think? Or any better size? There seems to be lots available..... 

Edited by GreenBhoy

On 3/23/2021 at 7:43 PM, AdyG said:

@beaks, I've made some for mine and an happy to send you the template if that would help? Although biased I think they look really good. I'm in Huntingdon so if you want to swing by and have a look you are more than welcome.

thanks mate.

I'll give it a try myself and when I (most likely) screw it up I may well take you up on your kind offer!

• 4 weeks later...