Flat battery - what I did!

paulchamby

So, I finally suffered the dreaded flat battery and was unable to open the frunk, every owners worst fear!

My car normally spends most of it's time sat in the garage on a c-tek charger (probably for the last 5.5 years since buying it 6 years ago!). I've never had a problem with it. The battery was on the car when I bought it so I'd guess it must be 7-8 years old now. Probably at the back of my mind it was due for replacement...

However, two weeks ago I parked the car on my parents driveway whilst I was moving house. I was only intended to be for a week but due to other constraints it ended up being two! Fast forward to yesterday, I drive over to pick the car up, try to open the door and nothing, lift the drivers handle and try the key fob again and still nothing! Key in the door to unlock manually, I put the key into the ignition turn it an still nothing, not even a dim glow of any lights on the dashboard... can't open the frunk to get to the battery so look at the divers foot well to try to connect the jump loads to the post in the fuse box and the door catch as per the helpful directions given in the handbook. Still nothing!... 

I try to remove the key from the ignition but can't that is now firmly held in the ignition barrel! (nice one Porsche!)

Considering my options...

1. Call AA out (probably a long wait since non-emergency)

2. Try to find the emergency release (but the locking wheel nut is in the frunk...) 

3. Drive home collect c-tek to try charging through cigarette lighter (usual method)

2hrs later, back at my parents I connect the c-tek to the cigarette lighter. Alarm sounds, dash lights up, key now comes out of the ignition barrel. Quickly pop the bonnet, remove c-tek, connect jump leads and she fires up straight away! 

Drive home (the scenic route) without any issue feeling very relieved.

I thought that the c-tek trick might help others if they can't open the frunk with a flat battery.

Considering the age of the old battery I have just ordered another identical Vatra F18 silver dynamic with 5yr warranty for less than £90 delivered.

Overall a happy outcome.

Paul

• paulchamby changed the title to Flat battery - what I did!

You're lucky there was still some charge left in the battery. Most CTEK won't connect to a totally flat battery. However, if the fag lighter is always live, you could connect another battery via that to get the trunk open.

What did you connect to the fusebox tab and grounding point? I've had to do this a couple of times (once with a battery, once with a battery booster on 'full power') and both times I semi panic but then realise you still need to use the usual frunk release button.

1 minute ago, paulchamby said:

@ricof I tried my dad’s conventional battery charger first and a set of jump leads. Neither worked.

Interesting, did you definitely remember to use the frunk release button?

Just now, JonSta said:

What did I miss here? Locking wheel nut?

Remove wheel to get to default location of emergency frunk release cable. Can't get wheel off as the locking wheel nut is in the Frunk, which can't be opened.

Chicken. Egg.

55 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Ah. I thought the em release was in the door shut somewhere. But then if it were there wouldn't be all this fuss about it. Inside the car somewhere would've been ein bisschen besser.

There’s an emergency release for the fuel filler flap in the top of the drivers door shut.  At the top above the hinge.  

Is this a Gen 2 issue or does it apply to Gen 1 too?

Yesterday I stupidly left the key in the ignition for a few hours while I attended to the hood and other bits of tlc.

Flat battery and couldn't open the frunk to stick the CTEK on. I followed the advice in the manual and removed the fuse box cover but no plastic release tool. I used some long nose pliers to pull out the red tab and stuck the + jump lead on it and the other on the door catch which immediately opened the frunk. All well this morning and battery now fully charged.

Weird stuff though and sounds like there's more from this thread.

Just now, Greyanglia said:

Is this a Gen 2 issue or does it apply to Gen 1 too?

Yesterday I stupidly left the key in the ignition for a few hours while I attended to the hood and other bits of tlc.

Flat battery and couldn't open the frunk to stick the CTEK on. I followed the advice in the manual and removed the fuse box cover but no plastic release tool. I used some long nose pliers to pull out the red tab and stuck the + jump lead on it and the other on the door catch which immediately opened the frunk. All well this morning and battery now fully charged.

Weird stuff though and sounds like there's more from this thread.

Btw, mine is a 2008 Gen 1

Thanks, that's a good shout as it's often difficult manoeuvring another car close enough to jump start.

A serious pair of jump leads are also well worth having. I bought some years ago when I had a temperamental VW Bay Camper.

14 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Love the halfords advert in the linky. battery booster, frequently purchased with....5l Screenwash. Obviously.

Archived