FLAT BATTERY = key in ignition, wont charge through the footwell - help please!

BERGS2

Guys - 

hopeing someone can help out here.

Left the car in the garage for a few nights and had accidentally left the key in the ignition.

roof is down and is unlocked, so i can get in to access - 

I have before had it where the battery is flat, and you have to trickle it from the footwell fuse point to the get the bonnet openb etc etc.

HOWEVER - this time, with the key in the ignition - it doesn't appear to want to trickle charge off my charge pack

i just have the airbag light on the dash - nother else....

Any ideas? lovely siunny day to have the car stick in the garage! :-(

cheesr guys,

BERGS

The emergency opening system (fuse box pull out connector and door jam  isn’t a charging circuit as such.  It just livens up the bonnet release circuit.  

so connect up a battery for preferable to the pull out and the door latch and operate the frunk release button on the key fob. (You can try the door cill button as well ). 

key can be removed by using the little metal hook / rod in the lid of the fuse box. There’s a little flap at about 1 o’clock on the ignition barrel.  Open it with the hook and poke the rod end in the hole.  

some start packs won’t open the frunk because they don’t wake up their heavy current delivery until they see a big request (like starting the engine) so you may need to get a battery to do the emergency frunk open.  

good luck.  

41 minutes ago, DaveEFI said:

When you say charge pack, do you mean a battery charger? Most won't connect to a totally flat battery.

Yeah - a trickle charger.

so, i need a 12v source battery?

might try to rig up some extended jump leads...

(though not to jump through the footwell, obvs, 😬)

Car won’t jump from the footwell emergency connection .  You can just get the bonnet open.  Then jump or charge direct to battery.  

Doing the from a battery rather than charge pack or trickle chargers get more consistent results.  

I did exactly the same thing a few weeks and it's so annoying and totally preventable.

I got Mrs Greyanglia's Audi Alllroad as close as I could and followed the instructions from the manual and a decent set of jump leads.

Much to my surprise the the frunk clicked to unlock and I slapped the CTEK on overnight and job done.

Hope you managed to sort it a out.

Archived