OEM or not?

Boxsum

28 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

were the pads Textar?

I couldn't tell you.  They were in Porsche boxes and so would not only be from the original equipment manufacturer but would also be the correct specification pad material.

Too many people see a cheaper product from an OEM and buy it thinking it is the same - when the pad material could be completely different.  Manufacturers will often produce a variety of pad specifications but I never see that mentioned, when people ask for manufacturers names.

56 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Some believe that the Saint Gobain screen (supplier to Porsche factory) is the one to ahve but most UK insurers will take the more commonly available, and probably cheaper, Pilkington one in the UK.  There are claims of problems with the latter, but bear in mind Pilkington make factory fitment glass to many manufacturers so they are not mugs.  In the case of screens more than most parts it is down to the fitter not the product when there are problems regardless of who made the glass.

Also bear in mind there is a good supply of original parts from breakers if you want an OE part that is not so subject to age, so side glass, interior parts or even body panels without the need to buy new.

Thanks for that info. My windscreen has a crack from a stone chip on the passenger side. I think its got bigger recently, so replacement may be imminent. I will check my insurance to see what sort of excess is payable. I imagine they'll direct me to their favoured supplier. 

Just to throw another thought into the equation? 
Boxster 986/911’s 996 were built on a budget too from what I’ve read, so changing parts to non original could also be beneficial?

Also manufacturing technology has moved on too. 

1 hour ago, Boxsum said:

Just to throw another thought into the equation? 
Boxster 986/911’s 996 were built on a budget too from what I’ve read, so changing parts to non original could also be beneficial?

Also manufacturing technology has moved on too. 

Absolutely agree.

Even inside Porsche a lot of the interchangeable parts on the 986 and 996 are up issued to 987 and 997 parts.

5 hours ago, Araf said:

I recently replaced the brakes on my Boxster.  I paid £1300 for the parts from Porsche.

Yes, I could have got the whole lot for £600 from ebay but the genuine stuff on the car lasted around 5 years and 50k.

IMHO, for lots of consumables, buying cheap can be a false economy.

Perfect example here I guess, although the brakes are reasonably good on the 986s they could be better so you preferred to keep original than take the opportunity to upgrade for similar money like design tek? 

7 hours ago, Araf said:

I couldn't tell you.  They were in Porsche boxes and so would not only be from the original equipment manufacturer but would also be the correct specification pad material.

Too many people see a cheaper product from an OEM and buy it thinking it is the same - when the pad material could be completely different.  Manufacturers will often produce a variety of pad specifications but I never see that mentioned, when people ask for manufacturers names.

The Porsche pads are Textar. 

These are available on ECP and after the discounts, front and rear pads come to £89.08 for a 2.5 986. The price will be very similar, if not the same for other models. 

7 hours ago, Araf said:

I’m sure the pad manufacturers name will be printed on the pads but maybe you didn’t get to see it if you had them fitted.

Ref pad material,recently read here about the brembo pads from you know who aren’t so good,can’t blame you for splashing the cash on them knowing such info.

3 hours ago, Boxsum said:

Perfect example here I guess, although the brakes are reasonably good on the 986s they could be better so you preferred to keep original than take the opportunity to upgrade for similar money like design tek? 

I wouldn't get Designtek brakes but I get your point. More money for an upgrade is only money well spent if you are trying to achieve something and use whatever extra you get with say uprated brakes. Otherwise you are just wasting money. Most people won't get anywhere near the braking limits especially if it's mainly a daily commuter or weekend trip car with the Mrs. As much as I like a brake upgrade it's for certain situations where they come into their own. 

1 hour ago, TROOPER88 said:

The Porsche pads are Textar. 

These are available on ECP and after the discounts, front and rear pads come to £89.08 for a 2.5 986. The price will be very similar, if not the same for other models. 

Porsche maybe Textar.... BUT they ones from any motor factor are the lower quality aftermarket range

Araf is spot on about compounds and Textar pads. Many years ago 964 had a different compound for the front of C2 and C4, you could, with a little detective work, get the same compounds in Textar boxes...............................................10 years later Porsche superseded them to the same compound!:suicide_anim:

You might as well add N rated tyres to the list now. The N compound is customised to Porsche, not necessarily a 986, and will be different to the 'same' tyre from tyre outlets. 

Archived