Techart paddle conversion

Jago

Morning All, 

Has anyone had the techart paddle conversion from button gear shifting to paddles ?  

I've enquired about it this morning with a price return of 515 Euros which includes the paddles and shipping... once fitted i'd assume I'll have to get this mapped to the ECU to change the operation of the shifting to incorporate - Right Paddle Pull = Shift up & Left Paddle Pull = shift down....

Capture.GIF.c802672b66329ebde983d0b7c0ebceda.GIFimage.png.a8d97439f772fd8f9072f3594899edfd.png

Thanks ! 

A few people have done DIY with Merc or other paddles for ?150 for Tiptronic. Haven't seen anyone (yet) do PDK. Must be possible though. Guess you have to have confidence to butcher the steering wheel.

2 minutes ago, iborguk said:

No experience of conversion, this looks like the product the OP mentions

https://tagmotorsports.com/techart-paddle-shift-retrofit-multifunction-991-macan-panamera-kit

thats the one. I enquired direct through Techart. 

what is the comparison for the sports design wheel just out of interest ? 

1 minute ago, Jago said:

thats the one. I enquired direct through Techart. 

what is the comparison for the sports design wheel just out of interest ? 

So I have a 987.2 with the Sports wheel + Porsche PDK paddles , this is what mine looks like if that's what you mean ?

Is there such a thing as "multi function" (so phone/pcm control) ) and "paddle" on anything before the 718 ?

The one linked to above says multifunction - but I don't see any buttons on it - and I don't think I have ever seen a porsche steering wheel with that combination paddle/multi func combo until you get the the 718 with the rotary dial for sports etc. and the "hyperspace" button

Just now, Paul P said:

Is there such a thing as "multi function" (so phone/pcm control) ) and "paddle" on anything before the 718 ?

The one linked to above says multifunction - but I don't see any buttons on it - and I don't think I have ever seen a porsche steering wheel with that combination paddle/multi func combo until you get the the 718 with the rotary dial for sports etc. and the "hyperspace" button

Yeah that's not multifunction, sports only like mine.

The install instructions for the Techart kit are here: https://www.techart.de/fileadmin/mediapoint/cb105bd3ac547d7376180ebc36822d.pdf

There is a fair amount of pulling apart of the wheel to be done, and then there is some swapping of wires around in plugs etc - I assume to to make the left down/right up setup work. 

Just now, iborguk said:

All looks doable but not something I'd personally spend that amount of money on, but not my wallet 🙃

I get the appeal of multi-function and flappy's mind.

agree on the cost/vs want thing - as we have discussed a few times. for me, paddles would be nice but not that nice - so it's not something I would particularly want to do.

That said, as an aside, I have a standard black PDK wheel from a 987.2 ( non MF ) in good condition in the garage - so if anyone wanted it to do the conversion that I would happily move it on for not much more than it costs to ship it 

All valid comments above. seams a lot of money for a lot of faff.... quite a large proportion of cost towards a replacement wheel.

any way to map the standard buttons for left down and right up as theoretically it's the same thing... just that there is a paddle there now too... 

47 minutes ago, Jago said:

All valid comments above. seams a lot of money for a lot of faff.... quite a large proportion of cost towards a replacement wheel.

any way to map the standard buttons for left down and right up as theoretically it's the same thing... just that there is a paddle there now too... 

looks to me like the right up/left down mapping accomplished via moving some wires in plug connectors - and by the joining of others rather than by software - guess you would have to have a close look at the wiring diagrams to figure out whats the underlying connections are and it looks like a fair amount of disassembly to get to the connections

id agree,  swap out the wheel, i did this and i think it cost me £1000 for wheel and airbag and have multi function pdk wheel.   might have a picture in my members thread as i can never remember how to post them here.  Also need an adapter for another £250 or close to make all the buttons work.   

But definately change the wheel out, look so much better and feels better, just lifts the inside

9 hours ago, iborguk said:

SPORTDESIGN STEERING WHEEL. PORSCHE 991 (911) / 981 BOXSTER / 981 CAYMAN

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod129341/SportDesign-steering-wheel-Porsche-991--911----981-Boxster---981-Cayman_2/

but only £146 to upgrade on my manual 981 when I bought it!

it was literally the cheapest option I spec'd

12 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Wow !

yeah and so much nicer than the standard wheel which would have been a hole lotta red!.

normal wheel showing on the output of a spec sheet

4gqV8Eg.jpg

my actual wheel

AQQQXFf.jpg

I know it's marmite but I love my red 🥰

Archived