2013 981 PCM3.1 Hard Drive Failure?

BrianJ

Just installed the first clone, haven't driven anywhere but plotted some routes, Nav is working fine, Bluetooth connected to my phone and music played from USB.

My spare copy just finished successfully although I foolishly out it all back together so I haven't tested that copy. Oh well, maybe another day....

Thanks for all the great contributions in this post.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I dont suppose anyone has an original hard drive they want to part with. I took mine out to clone and i think the board has gone bad on the back of it. dead, dead, dead - no spinny, no clicky - nothing. It was working before i removed it! I have cloned loads of drives in the past and this is absolutely sods law so suspect the sata connectors probably need resoldering......... I just need to swap the board to be able to clone the stupid thing.

Mine is 

MK1060GSC
HDD2632 L ZK01 T
15th Dec 2012

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Crisis averted. 

I bought a used HDD on ebay with a very similar part number and had the same board for £12. Fitted it to the drive and it now spun up but didn't sound right. So took it to a nice man in Ipswich (Electronics Repair Ipswich) who swapped the bios chip from the old board to the new board for £35. Drive now full operational again. He said the fuse on the old board had blown and he tried changing it but it blew again.

Now cloned to a nice new industrial SSD and then upgraded to the latest version.AJFCJaUz1yCCAy9MLKAdkQsy5OfxuNyu-jqkX_2o

AJFCJaUHwsvqeRk6jDtspsidYxLRlGsQP_bsXqxP

Edited by Jakeb

PCM3.1 HDD (100GB) cloning to a 250Gb SSD completed. 👍

Took 30 min to complete the clone using the WEME offline drive cloner. SSD Refitted into the carriage and put back into the PCM. Fuse back in and all works as before 👍

HDD labelled and put safely away in safe as a backup 

I used the excellent instructions here by the user Santrix https://www.macanforum.com/threads/diy-diayor-pcm-3-1-hard-drive-hdd-to-ssd-replacement-and-backup.180790/

Really simple to do. Cloning with the WEMA machine was as simple as putting the source drive in Slot A, the new blank unformatted drive in Slot B.

Turn on, press clone button for 3 sec until 100% light flashes, then press clone once and off it goes 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, moonshine said:

Took 30 min to complete the clone using the WEME offline drive cloner

Looks a good piece of kit. Didnt realise it's a hdd dock too. Could do with that for all the old disks I have, save settings up an old pc!

• Like 1

Its a standard Kingston SSD at the moment - i am looking at whether to get an industrial one - 

the original HDD is a Toshiba  MK1060GSC Automotive Grade Hard Disk - this one - http://www.scsi4me.com/toshiba-mk1060gsc-hdd2g32-100gb-4200rpm-2-5-4-200-rpm-sata-hard-drive.html that has an extended temperature tolerance of -30C and +85C

The Standard Kingston SSD has a published storage temperature between -40C and +85C, with an operating temperature of 0C and +70C

This industrial SSD https://videobits.co.uk/product/adata-industrial-2-5-sata-mlc-ssd-128gb-extended-temp-range/ has an industrial operating temperature of -40C to +90C - but it is £130 - I’ll probably get it  

2 minutes ago, Simo_UK said:

Looks a good piece of kit. Didnt realise it's a hdd dock too. Could do with that for all the old disks I have, save settings up an old pc!

Yeah - i ordered it from Amazon in the states and it came in about a week - (need to use a US to UK adapter - but it will clone HDD connected to a PC (Online mode) or standalone, not connected to a PC - like i did) in an offline mode

There is probably something similar from UK https://a.co/d/hLBptto

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Its a standard Kingston SSD at the moment - i am looking at whether to get an industrial one - 

the original HDD is a Toshiba  MK1060GSC Automotive Grade Hard Disk - this one - http://www.scsi4me.com/toshiba-mk1060gsc-hdd2g32-100gb-4200rpm-2-5-4-200-rpm-sata-hard-drive.html that has an extended temperature tolerance of -30C and +85C

The Standard Kingston SSD has a published storage temperature between -40C and +85C, with an operating temperature of 0C and +70C

This industrial SSD https://videobits.co.uk/product/adata-industrial-2-5-sata-mlc-ssd-128gb-extended-temp-range/ has an industrial operating temperature of -40C to +90C - but it is £130 - I’ll probably get it  

Although at about £12 for the Kingston, you could always have a few spares ready to go! The advantech one is something like -40 to +85 operating and 20G of shock. I think it was about £140 when i bought it.

I am not sure why the startech cloner is so much more expensive than the weme. I have two but we bought them years ago but still available. They do a cheaper one so whether it does something clever in the cloning i dont know.

Edited by Jakeb

I ordered an industrial one and I'll prep it. 

I can maybe see an issue with the low temperature working in winter (if the car was too be used in cold conditions. Perhaps the commercial  SSD would be slow / not perform until warmed up? Perhaps the industrial one is sealed in a "dry" atmosphere, to prevent condensation forming on the cold surfaces? 

I bought the SSD and disk cloner and got as far as removing the trim and getting the PCM far enough out to access the HD before realising I didn't have a T8 screwdriver 😂. Will now wait until I do the carplay mod as I can't be arsed taking the trim off another couple times.

Edited by mypropaganda

The regular HDD in the PCM is an automotive spec HDD, with wide temp range (-30C - + 85C)

commercial SSD (and HDD) have a operating temp range of 0C - 70C - and are resistant to less G.

a commercial 256GB SSD is £14.  Might be OK, might not. 

The Question is does the interior of the car get <0C (certainly) or >70C - possibly (think closed windows - sun shining through glass in parked car in 35C ambient temp)

the Industrial spec HDD  / SSD are certified as being able to operate in extreme environments - so teh 128GB SSD, whilst expensive, matched the operating spec of the factory automotive HDD - I presume Porsche spec’d an automotive spec HDD (Toshiba P/N MK1060GSC -  )for a valid reason. 

the MKxx60GSC series drives represent a significant innovation in commercial automotive-grade hard disk drive technology. Technical benefits include improvement in internal transfer rates over prior generation models, a faster seek time of 12-milliseconds, and an extremely quiet ‘silent seek’ operation of 23dB. All Toshiba automotive-grade hard disk drive models are suitable for use in industrial applications where an extended temperature tolerance of -30° to 85°C_

Edited by moonshine

39 minutes ago, moonshine said:

The regular HDD in the PCM is an automotive spec HDD, with wide temp range (-30C - + 85C)

commercial SSD (and HDD) have a operating temp range of 0C - 70C - and are resistant to less G.

a commercial 256GB SSD is £14.  Might be OK, might not. 

The Question is does the interior of the car get <0C (certainly) or >70C - possibly (think closed windows - sun shining through glass in parked car in 35C ambient temp)

the Industrial spec HDD  / SSD are certified as being able to operate in extreme environments - so teh 128GB SSD, whilst expensive, matched the operating spec of the factory automotive HDD - I presume Porsche spec’d an automotive spec HDD (Toshiba P/N MK1060GSC -  )for a valid reason. 

the MKxx60GSC series drives represent a significant innovation in commercial automotive-grade hard disk drive technology. Technical benefits include improvement in internal transfer rates over prior generation models, a faster seek time of 12-milliseconds, and an extremely quiet ‘silent seek’ operation of 23dB. All Toshiba automotive-grade hard disk drive models are suitable for use in industrial applications where an extended temperature tolerance of -30° to 85°C_

every day is a school day...........I'd not thought about minus temp, although ROW would need to be a more extreme spec for temps than the UK would...I had a water bottle freeze in my cup holder this winter but it was -10deg o/s and doesnt get there that often :) 

Looking at the Kingston 'plain jane SSD' KC600, the data sheet says

Operating temperature 0°C~70°C
Storage temperature -40°C~85°C
Viberation operating 2.17G peak (7-800Hz)
Viberation non-operating 20G peak (10-2000Hz)

You hardly need to worry about 'G's for an SSD compared to a normal spinning platter HDD

£31.99 for 240gb as well

Do you not think this would be safe to use?

^ive no idea whether a regular “commercial” SSD would be OK - i initially got a regular 256 GB Kingston SSD and cloned to it - and it works - but I chickened out . and went to an industrial spec one to match / exceed the OEM HDD spec and have taken the cheap commercial SSD out and I’ve kept that as a backup along with the original HDD.

There is an reasonable argument that a commercial SSD will generally be OK in UK - but perhaps not so much in other European / NA climates, e.g .Alps / rockies  or where cars are tested e.g Sweden etc for cold performance - 

I don’t know the effect of extreme cold on a SSD - (data loss / condensation / failure and whether i would even use the car in that temp) however - it wasn’t a great deal extra for the reassurance.

you could always buy a stack of commercial SSD and in the worst (unlikely) case, if they were erased when the ambient temp in the car dropped to <0C - then you could swap them for a back up - albeit a PITA!

4 hours ago, moonshine said:

^ive no idea whether a regular “commercial” SSD would be OK - i initially got a regular 256 GB Kingston SSD and cloned to it - and it works - but I chickened out . and went to an industrial spec one to match / exceed the OEM HDD spec and have taken the cheap commercial SSD out and I’ve kept that as a backup along with the original HDD.

There is an reasonable argument that a commercial SSD will generally be OK in UK - but perhaps not so much in other European / NA climates, e.g .Alps / rockies  or where cars are tested e.g Sweden etc for cold performance - 

I don’t know the effect of extreme cold on a SSD - (data loss / condensation / failure and whether i would even use the car in that temp) however - it wasn’t a great deal extra for the reassurance.

you could always buy a stack of commercial SSD and in the worst (unlikely) case, if they were erased when the ambient temp in the car dropped to <0C - then you could swap them for a back up - albeit a PITA!

I get your rationale 👍

• Like 1

Sorry if I've missed a post along the way, but, has anyone here tried a SATA/mSATA adapter and an mSATA drive in their 2013/14 model year jukebox PCM 3.1?

I'm tempted because of the easy availability/price of smaller mSATA drives.

The plan would be to clone the original before it fails, and keep two copies.

I'm also tempted to try to install the PCM firmware from scratch (just for fun / info) using the DVD I burned for the 4.76 update.

It would be very handy to know whether an already dead (failed HDD) unit could be brought back from the dead with a fresh install.

I have the original disk out of my PCM 3.1 attached to a SATA/USB cable.

Don't know if I've missed some reference here or rennslist but the disk partition formats are even 'unknown' to gparted in Linux. 

Disk cloning hardware and two 128GB disks arriving later today. 👍

Screenshot-20230505-145600.png