2013 981 PCM3.1 Hard Drive Failure?

BrianJ

^using the cloning dock I have i have i never even bothered formatting  the new SSD or looking at it in disk manager - it wasn’t even connected to a computer - i simply put it in and pressed clone - it must of cloned the formatting over to the unformatted SSD 

2 hours ago, moonshine said:

^using the cloning dock I have i have i never even bothered formatting  the new SSD or looking at it in disk manager - it wasn’t even connected to a computer - i simply put it in and pressed clone - it must of cloned the formatting over to the unformatted SSD 

I now have two SSD clones of the original disk, and one of them in the car with the jukebox being loaded with tunes, (blimey, it takes ages).

I didn't realise that the clone would retain all my maps and settings, but not copy my jukebox.

The original disk is 120GB, which I wasn't expecting, and thank heavens that I bought 2x 128GB SSDs, as the offline cloner will only (obviously) clone to a bigger disk than the original.

I'd assumed that my original disk was 40GB as I'd read somewhere. 

Thanks for the offer of help by the way, much appreciated.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 5/25/2021 at 2:40 PM, spook said:

It therefore appears that only the later PCM 3.1 units with the 100GB HDD can be replaced with SSD, so those contemplating what is a very sensible preventative maintenance upgrade first need to check whether their PCM 3.1 has Jukebox. If it hasn't, it simply can't be done.

I don't think mine has Jukebox. Because I've never found it. But there is a chance I've just missed it. How do you find / use / access the Jukebox?

1 hour ago, ATM said:

I don't think mine has Jukebox. Because I've never found it. But there is a chance I've just missed it. How do you find / use / access the Jukebox?

It appears as a “source”, similar to FM or DAB when you press that button.  AFAIK it became standard on later cars perhaps 2015 onwards.

I've jukebox on my 2013 981 BS, but I don't have DAB.

I Can't recall, but it might only show but once you copy music took it?

Edited by moonshine

It is a PCM 3.1 unit on V4.73 software but no nav, phone, or jukebox. It does have sim slot but I presume it does nothing.

I was pulling it apart anyway to install an Isudar AA/Carplay board in it, but was surprised about it not having the hard drive.

14 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

It is a PCM 3.1 unit on V4.73 software but no nav, phone, or jukebox. It does have sim slot but I presume it does nothing.

Amazingly, considering what the C stands for :lol:, telephone capability wasn't automatically part of PCM on 981's - you had to spec one of two different options (either 'Preparation for mobile phone' 619, or 'Telephone module' 666) to get it. It's possible that the SIM slot was always present though even without one of these options, for simplicity of parts/manufacture. (BTW Digital radio 691 was also an option and not standard @moonshine, unless you had CDR Plus which included it)

But the rest sounds a bit weird to me, if it is really a PCM rather than CDR or CDR Plus. Right from the 2011 brochure, PCM is always described as having a navigation module built-in. The jukebox facility wasn't always there though (and without nav or jukebox, there would be no need for a hard disk) - that depends on the hardware version; even within PCM3.1s, there are different versions as described in Richard Hamilton's 2020 post in another thread:

Richard states that from MY2013, PCM became hardware version 4 (note this is different to software version numbers), and included the Jukebox. But he also says that it's only this hardware version 4 that can be updated to software version V4.xx. So that would seem to suggest that if your software is V4.73, then your hardware should be Version 4 and should include the hard disk and jukebox. That would fit anyway with yours being a GTS - so I think it must be MY2014 or later?

I have a vague feeling that I've read on here before that someone had a car that sounded different to what all the literature suggests should be the case though - but I can't remember if that was you Tony or someone else! Even if your PCM had ever been replaced for any reason I would expect it to conform to one of the standard types. Out of interest, do you have a USB socket that you can play music from? (I think you should, on a post-MY2013 PCM)

52 minutes ago, Jakeb said:

Was there a hard drive connector in there - it might have been the drive failed and if you disconnect the drive it stops the rebooting loop

If there is I can send you a  clone of my HDD and you can see if it works.

@Jon61 Yes the car is Dec '14 GTS and it does have the Aux/USB in the glovebox & DAB

When I removed the panel for the hard drive I seem to remember (2021 I did this) there is no facility to add one if I got a cloned unit.

Edited by Tony Daniel
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

@Jon61 Yes the car is Dec '14 GTS and it does have the Aux/USB in the glovebox & DAB

This got me really intrigued - and then I found your old 2021 thread ('981 PCM 3.1 Nav and Phone not available') which I missed at the time. Having done a bit of digging, I've come up with an idea that might explain how you (and others) have got a setup that doesn't seem to be described in the brochures. For the benefit of anyone else in future searching for a similar 'PCM but no Navi' query, I've put my thoughts in the other thread rather than here, but here's a link to it: (https://www.BoXa.net/topic/93363-981-pcm-31-nav-and-phone-not-available/?do=findComment&comment=1408341

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more relevant to this thread, 

What would happen you put a copy of  SSD made from one pcm into a different pcm to replace a corrupted  / failed PCM HDD?

Would it work? Or would the fact the SSD was made from a HDD tied to another VIN mean it would not work?

1 hour ago, moonshine said:

What would happen you put a copy of  SSD made from one pcm into a different pcm to replace a corrupted  / failed PCM HDD?

Would it work? Or would the fact the SSD was made from a HDD tied to another VIN mean it would not work?

I've not read the whole Rennlist thread but it seems swapping hard drives can cause problems. Post #8 is interesting though, he ran the update disc and his cloned drive worked.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 2:52 PM, moonshine said:

I installed a clone of my 2013 Boxster base PCM 3.1 drive into a 2014 Cayman S to fix a failed drive with no issues.

• Like 4