Need Advice Before Purchasing

JimiMac

Hey everybody,

So unfortunately I am going to have to get rid of my beloved MK1 Mazda MX-5 in October as I live in London and they're going to be increasing the low emissions charge to my area and my car is old and apparently doesn't fit their profile.

Any way, after doing some research on what to get next a Boxster 986 looks like it could be the right fit and hella lot of fun, even if its only for a few years. Before I make a purchase I want to make sure I have all the right information. First off im not the richest person in the world and I'm well aware that repairs on a Porsche can send you back quite a bit.

So my question is, how much really does it cost to run and maintain a 986, what are some of the more regular and more common repairs that people have found when owning one and how much does it usually cost? How easy is it to do repairs yourself, is it impossible on this kind of vehicle. 

and finally is there a list of parts that usually break or ware down that will need to be replaced on a regular basis, want to do some research to see how much parts cost.

I really like the idea of owning a 986 and i think it would be a total blast, not to mention looking cool. Just want to make sure that im not going to have to constantly break the bank.

cheers,

Jay

Not to dampen your excitement to own a 986 but most experienced  guys/girls on this forum suggest a £2k first year budget should you have any issues/faults.

Remember these cars aren't generally fragile but replacement and/or repairs can rack up quickly.

As Bradders59 expressed many do their own spanner work so limiting the drain on your finances. 

The more research you do and thus the more you buy wisely, the cheaper it will be to run.

Cars are 18-25 years old and many parts can be worn, corroded, fused together. Suspension components often need replacing - ideally look for a model being sold where it's already been done.  This is often why we recommend up to 2k spent in the first year. Coil packs, tyres, gear linkages, window regulators etc. Frequently it's a case of what must I do now vs what should I do at some point.

Very very little body rot seen here - perhaps in one of the rear side vents IIRC.

Very many people here work on them themselves without much special equipment (of course a lift helps).

See the Buying Advice forum and the threads pinned at the top for what to check on a potential purchase.

1 hour ago, JimiMac said:

Hey everybody,

So unfortunately I am going to have to get rid of my beloved MK1 Mazda MX-5 in October as I live in London and they're going to be increasing the low emissions charge to my area and my car is old and apparently doesn't fit their profile.

Any way, after doing some research on what to get next a Boxster 986 looks like it could be the right fit and hella lot of fun, even if its only for a few years. Before I make a purchase I want to make sure I have all the right information. First off im not the richest person in the world and I'm well aware that repairs on a Porsche can send you back quite a bit.

So my question is, how much really does it cost to run and maintain a 986, what are some of the more regular and more common repairs that people have found when owning one and how much does it usually cost? How easy is it to do repairs yourself, is it impossible on this kind of vehicle. 

and finally is there a list of parts that usually break or ware down that will need to be replaced on a regular basis, want to do some research to see how much parts cost.

I really like the idea of owning a 986 and i think it would be a total blast, not to mention looking cool. Just want to make sure that im not going to have to constantly break the bank.

cheers,

Jay

good luck Jay - on the plus side, the 986 doesn't rust as quickly as the Mk1 MX5, as i'm finding our myself :(

As others have said, look for well maintained examples over low mileage, with receipts for the big ticket items recently done. There are usually some good cars for sale on here owned by enthusiasts that are well maintained, but any car at that age will have an element of risk

I came from a MX5 NB which I had for 10 years, needed coil packs and some welding.  Apart from brakes and servicing that was all the money I needed to spend, I did spend a load more on things that made it mine.

I changed to a 2001 986 which had a full service history and have spent a fortune on all the usual 986 issues...suspension (rear coffin arms and tuning forks), radiators, condensers, water pump and an alternator.  Also had air con pipes and a new remote key.  Have replaced all the brake pads and discs myself which was easy ( I am not a confident spanner man!).  I have enjoyed all the time with the Boxster but it is way more expensive to run, the normal rule of £1500-2000 to get is sorted seems to apply.  

That said...flat 6, mid engine makes it all worth while.

I ran a Mk1 S-Spec Jap import MX5 for about 5 years before I got a 986, when has since been replaced by a 987.

You have to be really committed to getting into a Boxster, as even the simplest things can cost considerably more than the equivalent MX5 repair / maintenance.

MX5’s can be run on a shoestring, plus most of the spannering can be done fairly easily on a DIY basis. Not saying that you can’t do this on a Boxster but they are more complex & access can be an issue if you don’t have a ramp etc.

But, Boxster’s are excellent cars & feel more of an event when you drive them. However the limits are much higher, so I guess you have more fun in a MX5 at lower speeds.

My 986 was written off after I got hit by a flatbed transit van, luckily the 986 had a strong shell. If I had been in my MX5, I wouldn’t have been so fortunate...

As mentioned above, general consensus is to budget £2k pa to keep them in fine fettle, but if you buy right to start with then you can lower running costs considerably.

DIY spannering isn't too bad on a 986 even without a ramp as long as you ahve somewhere flat to do the work.  You just spend longer on you back looking up or bending lower than on most cars as they are mid engined and low.  They aren't really hugely complex it is all just nuts and bolts after all, even if seized steel bolts into alloy, but things like suspension are really quite sensitive to set up and make a huge difference.

Three is a general rule of thumb that any 986 new owner is likely to ahve to spend £1-1.5k to sort issues on a car when they buy it.  The easiest way to keep this figure low is to dot eh work yourself.  If I exclude the upgrades on my car like 18" wheels, adding cruise control and a new hifi and speakers over 2½ years I've spent about £2.5-3k on parts only to do air con condensers (with desiccator, seals and re-gas), major suspension refresh, window regulator, two tyres, all 4 CV boots, reversing light switch, headlamp washers, coolant hose and coolant to fix a minor leak and a new vinyl rear screen.  It came with fairly fresh brakes and a clutch so haven't even gone near those expensive bits yet.  Average of £1k per annum to do fixes before a service, tax, insurance, MOT etc, but once sorted good for several years.  Tehy are not a money pit but don't get into one for cheap motoring, make sure you ahve a budget to run one on.

Archived