Spoiler warning

Chuckie66

On our trip to Yorkshire, cutting through the A43 from M40 to M1, the Cayman was singing in tune until we hit the M1 restricted speed. A warning message popped up saying “Spoiler failure” and to stay below 70mph... Thinking the worst pulled into Watford Gap services. Releaved to see spoiler still there... the manual button was working and I raised and lowered it just fine, cycled it through a few times and then went for a coffee to google the error.

Continued our journey and returned today and all fine, no more spoiler errors, and could see the spoiler go up at 75mph and down at 50.

What could cause this error? worth investigating? have a month left on the warranty.

Google suggested checking carpet for wetness under the passenger seat  - dry as a bone. 
any thing else to check? 

15 hours ago, Chuckie66 said:

On our trip to Yorkshire, cutting through the A43 from M40 to M1, the Cayman was singing in tune until we hit the M1 restricted speed. A warning message popped up saying “Spoiler failure” and to stay below 70mph... Thinking the worst pulled into Watford Gap services. Releaved to see spoiler still there... the manual button was working and I raised and lowered it just fine, cycled it through a few times and then went for a coffee to google the error.

Continued our journey and returned today and all fine, no more spoiler errors, and could see the spoiler go up at 75mph and down at 50.

What could cause this error? worth investigating? have a month left on the warranty.

Google suggested checking carpet for wetness under the passenger seat  - dry as a bone. 
any thing else to check? 

Not sure but got to be worth checking your drains Chuckie just to be sure, check out my maintenance videos and check the water is flushing through.

Is the battery ok?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Not sure but got to be worth checking your drains Chuckie just to be sure, check out my maintenance videos and check the water is flushing through.

Is the battery ok?

I read somewhere that the rear spoiler has its own drains? as opposed to the roof rear drains on the boxster? mine's a Cayman so thought I wouldn't need to worry about rear  drains... 

Is the spoiler sensor/motor/controller sensitive to low battery?

The spoiler error occurred 90 mins into our trip, wouldn't the battery be in a better state rather than after a cold start? As it happens... the Battery Monitor II, BM2 arrived today. Straight away it says the battery is low power/12.4v (all in red). It's the original battery and 6 yrs old. Although would have thought a good 3 hr drive yesterday would have re-charged the battery?   

Useful links on changing the battery yourself? don't want to face having everything re-programmed...

8 minutes ago, 718as said:

As the spoiler goes up at 75mph, I wonder if that's evidence for the plod to give you a speeding ticket.😁

No as your speedometer is set to over read by between 5% - 10% from manufacturer. Also there are certain points to prove to be able to prosecute for speeding being the speed itself, the location of the speed and the time and date etc... none of which would be proved.

10 minutes ago, 718as said:

As the spoiler goes up at 75mph, I wonder if that's evidence for the plod to give you a speeding ticket.😁

Now that would be a spoiler - dah dah!

Or require the police intelligence division!

56 minutes ago, 718as said:

I would suggest staying within the speed limit if plod are close enough to be able to see the spoiler up lol 

No you just happened to press the button at 70mph. 

Someone once told me you can change a battery with the engine running, no idea if that's a good idea or not but I've always just changed my batteries in my BMW's with the engine off and never had any issues with reprogramming. It's only disconnected 15 seconds or so.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 718as said:

Always thought it went up at 65mph to help avoid that problem.

12 hours ago, daz05 said:

No you just happened to press the button at 70mph. 

Someone once told me you can change a battery with the engine running, no idea if that's a good idea or not but I've always just changed my batteries in my BMW's with the engine off and never had any issues with reprogramming. It's only disconnected 15 seconds or so.

How would the spark plugs get their juice?

18 hours ago, Chuckie66 said:

Useful links on changing the battery yourself? don't want to face having everything re-programmed...

I followed something like this: https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=770011

The 2 steps I did after changing are below, never had any issues or warnings after doing mine:

• After the battery is connected:
    With the DME, it is necessary to carry out a learning and adaptation routine as described below:
  • Switch ignition on for 30 seconds without starting the engine.
  • Do not actuate accelerator pedal.
    This completes the adaptation of the throttle valve adjusting unit.

• Power windows
    The end positions of the power windows are deleted from the control unit when the battery is disconnected and connected.
    Perform the following procedure for all power windows:
  • Actuate rocker switch and fully close window once.
  • Actuate rocker switch once more to close.
    The upper end position of the window is stored.
  • Actuate rocker switch and fully open window once.
  • Actuate rocker switch once more to open.
    The lower end position of the window is stored.

7 hours ago, 718as said:

no 75 mph as per book.

Thanks for the correction, everyday is a school day🙂. It was the retracting again around 50 mph I was getting confused with. I will remember to hit the raise button quickly if i should get pulled over😱.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

As a followup I put a bluetooth battery monitor (BM2) on, they are pretty useful and battery was fine. WD40 on the hinge and no more spoiler warnings 😇  well just had the 1 warning

Edited by Chuckie66