Coolant Leak - likely suspects?

zcacogp

Chaps, 

My 987.1 2.7 has started to use coolant. I put around 250ml in after a 150 mile drive a week or so ago and it took another 200ml or so after 100 miles last weekend. No white smoke, no sign of HG problems. 

I've not had it up in the air yet but have had both engine covers off for a look-see and it is clear looking down through the manifolds that the back of the engine is quite wet, which I presume is the missing coolant. 

Before I dig out the jack and axle stands then can anyone tell me of popular spots for coolant to come out? 

Ta!

Don't think so; it failed about 9 months ago and I changed it then. I had a look at it last night and all was dry around it (satisfyingly so) so I am assuming it's coming from elsewhere. Good idea tho' - thanks! 😀

Air lock...?  When I had my 987 the coolant was changed at an indy after all the hoses and pipes were replaced, and on the drive home a low coolant warning light came on.  I had to top it up a couple of times, with maybe 1 litre in total.  It was fine after that, and never lost a drop over the next year.  Don't forget, there is something like 20-ish litres of coolant in there (I can't be bothered to look up the exact amount) so your half a litre is not a massive amount of the total.

I will finish with my standard get out clause: "...but then again, I've got a Cayman, so what do I know...?" :lol:

Davey, 

Thanks. Nope, not an air lock; after I changed the water pump I had to top it up a few times as you described, but it was fine after that. It's only recently that the level has started dropping, and I can see the damp around the lower rear of the engine. 

The only difference between Caymans and Boxsters is that one has a soft top and the other a hard top. Oh, and the owners of one are immensely much better looking and sexier than the owners of the other. Apart from that they are identical! 

Amazon do a fluorescent coolant dye and UV torch kit that's quite cheap, never used one but the idea is sound - add to coolant and one dark night use the torch to confirm where the leak is  🙂

Thanks. That's an interesting idea and sounds similar to the method of tracing air con fluid leaks. 

However given the quantity that the old girl is getting through then I'm hoping I'll be able to see it by eye. 

2 hours ago, zcacogp said:

The only difference between Caymans and Boxsters is that one has a soft top and the other a hard top. Oh, and the owners of one are immensely much better looking and sexier than the owners of the other. Apart from that they are identical! 

Don't put yourself and all the other Boxster owners on here down mate, I'm sure you have all got other qualities to make up for your lack of good looks and sexiness.......... 

2 hours ago, zcacogp said:

Davey, 

Thanks. Nope, not an air lock; after I changed the water pump I had to top it up a few times as you described, but it was fine after that. It's only recently that the level has started dropping, and I can see the damp around the lower rear of the engine. 

There is a revised 'in the boot' blue filler cap available. Might be overflowing under pressure into the little plastic thingy/funnel and dripping down into the back of the engine bay.To test, put a bit of kitchen paper in the funnel thingy (sure there is a better name, but I'm sure you will understand) and see if it gets wet.

Filler cap is a cheap partr from OPC. Good luck!

Edited by andygo

15 minutes ago, 987RG said:

Have you checked the coolant pipes at the front, these are the cross over pipes I think.  Where they meet the metal and aluminium corrode and leak.

But unlikley to provide moisture at the back of the engine I'm afraid.

13 minutes ago, 987RG said:

Have you checked the coolant pipes at the front, these are the cross over pipes I think.  Where they meet the metal and aluminium corrode and leak.

Sorry, just re-read the original post and the leak is at the back, so ignore me!

Andy, thanks - that's a great tip. I'll go out and put some kitchen paper in the service port area immediately. I did almost wonder if there was a trace of redness in there when I last opened it. 

987RG - thanks also, but I did the crossover pipes about 18 months ago, and the evidence of wetness doesn't look like it's blown back from the front of the car. 

56 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Don't put yourself and all the other Boxster owners on here down mate, I'm sure you have all got other qualities to make up for your lack of good looks and sexiness.......... 

>PoliteCough< I'm a fellow Cayman owner. Go a little easy with those words .... 😁

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, andygo said:

There is a revised 'in the boot' blue filler cap available. Might be overflowing under pressure into the little plastic thingy/funnel and dripping down into the back of the engine bay.To test, put a bit of kitchen paper in the funnel thingy (sure there is a better name, but I'm sure you will understand) and see if it gets wet.

Filler cap is a cheap partr from OPC. Good luck!

Andygo, 

I've quoted your post as it's a good'un - thanks. I had a look in the 'funnel thingy' last night and it does look quite suspiciously like there has been coolant leaking in there, and a close inspection of the back of the blue cap suggests that there may be coolant outside of the ring seal as well. Annoyingly the seal isn't a regular O-ring, rather a rectangular cross-section thing (I have no idea why) so it's not easy to replace. I therefore carefully cut a ring out of card to put in the cap behind it to bring it forward a little and smeared some silicone grease on it as well, both of which should help it seal. 

The car isn't due to be driven for a few days yet but I'll update this thread with any progress. 

Thanks again for your help. 

3 hours ago, zcacogp said:

Andygo, 

I've quoted your post as it's a good'un - thanks. I had a look in the 'funnel thingy' last night and it does look quite suspiciously like there has been coolant leaking in there, and a close inspection of the back of the blue cap suggests that there may be coolant outside of the ring seal as well. Annoyingly the seal isn't a regular O-ring, rather a rectangular cross-section thing (I have no idea why) so it's not easy to replace. I therefore carefully cut a ring out of card to put in the cap behind it to bring it forward a little and smeared some silicone grease on it as well, both of which should help it seal. 

The car isn't due to be driven for a few days yet but I'll update this thread with any progress. 

Thanks again for your help. 

Check the part no on the filler cap. If you have one ending 01 it's worth getting the updated 04. Mine dumped quite a  large amount of coolant and update cap solved the issue. It's a well known problem.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Check the part no on the filler cap. If you have one ending 01 it's worth getting the updated 04. Mine dumped quite a  large amount of coolant and update cap solved the issue. It's a well known problem.

I've just had that same problem and it all points to the cap. I'm collecting a new one tomorrow from the OPC. Fingers crossed 🤞

Last three digits of the cap P/ N seem to be 044. Not sure whether that makes it an 01 or an 04.

Water pump was a Meyle from recollection and was from PorscheShop. Not a cheapo, and I've checked it and around it and all seems dry there. 

Totally off topic but did you used to be on clubgti and have a MK1 or MK2 Golf?

56 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Design911 and Type911 show latest as 99610644704

Interesting - that's a 996 part number. 

Just checked mine and it's 987 106 044 00. 

e5czZ2cHbOKKp-y_cvCXIi-LjyfUH_6Y2YGGqBXd