Do you use your 987 as your daily driver ?

Patrick1964

I bought my 987 2 1/2 years ago as a weekend/ road trip car and have not done many miles in it due to the summer of 2020 being so wet and miserable and then the lockdowns last year.
My commute was 200 miles per week pre COVID, so I’ve been using my trusty Leaf for these journeys, but for the last year I’ve only been in the office two days a week so my mileage is low enough that I could sell that and use the Boxster as my daily without racking up huge mileage.

I’m well aware the car could cope, although I’d have to get used to it not being clean all the time 🙂 

just wondering if anyone else bought their car as a “toy” and then ended up using it as their main vehicle ?

Edited by Patrick1964

Mine is and will remain a weekend fun car - 2 kids and 3 dogs make it an impossibility to get rid of the big 4x4 😃 but space constraints aside I'd have all faith in a Boxster as a daily driver.

I've decided that my Boxster will be my daily driver. We also own an Astra GTC (2.0L) which my wife drives & I use that if the weather is inclement & she's not using it. But the Boxster will be used year round. It seems a very capable car & I like driving it.

No. 

Edit - well if I think about it, maybe. Normally I take the train, on very quiet days I'll take the car. Since the pandemic started, as people stay away from the offices and I get nervous on the train, yes-ish - though we've been banned from the office for the last 3 months and only just started again...

Edited by Menoporsche

Daily driver unless it snows.

10-15 mile commute each way, enjoy the country roads in it. 

great after a cr*p day at work. 

car on 140k and might as well just enjoy it. 

• Like 3

8 year majority daily for me such a hoot to drive, why not.

Id say a 70-80% of 65k ive put on it, was doing  motorway trips you would associate with the job of a 320d.  With 3.2l with business mileage claims, was  breakeven on fuel and maintenance for a few years id say if not in profit.

As well as the continuing daily duties..  has a squirt round the Gower peninsula twistys for pure driving pleasure every few  days and that is a very well spent tenner on fuel without getting out of third gear. The b4520 and black mountain road is my 3-4 times a year outing and feel lucky to have that as a 3hr round trip, up and down. Thats when I know what a sensational car I own. (did I mention the b4520? :) shh)

Bought with 29k on clock for 14 large April 2013 now 94k on the clock. 2006s, lots of rs60 spec equip from stock  so think ive done ok if sold today.  meme 2-5k depreciation if that.

They really do love to be driven and they reward you for it. Put the stone chips in the bumper, scrape the paintwork on bushes, park it in Tesco who cares,  Always 6000rpm on every trip once engine is warm, roof down if sun is out, If its cold, wear a scarf. 

I bought mine to use as a daily and loved every minute of it until recently when the B roads I used had more potholes than I could remember.

I bought it to use and glad I did, I would say don’t hesitate.

The current one, no. But previous ones, yes. In my 986 I did about 10k a year I think, and did similar in my 987 Cayman.

They are perfectly fine for using as a daily, providing you find them comfortable enough.

I don't use my current one as a daily, but that's because I no longer have a commute. Advantage being it makes all of the journeys in it really fun 😎

nope, my 986 S is definitely a weekend car. my daily commute (when it starts happening again) is a simple 20-25 minute jaunt down the motorway, perfect diesel automatic territory. plus, the dronemaster special i've just put on would be horrible during a motorway commute.

id think all the things i like about the 986 (loud, sporty, revs, manual gearbox) would lose their appeal if i used it as a daily. No, i prefer to keep it for special occasions, and make every journey in it an event. Plus it'll keep the value high if i keep the miles off it.

Yes, daily driver here. 6.5k miles since purchase (end September last year). 15 miles each way commute, lovely with the roof down in this weather. Daily MPG is not great, but so what! However, a trip to Wales last weekend returned an average 31mpg, so not too bad on a longer run..