Cooling system micro leak - engine end

sjqprod

Hey guys 

I have a 2005 987 3.2 boxster S. Recently had the front coolant pipes, crossover pipes replaced now I seem to have a very slow drip under the engine onto the tray. Started when the weather warmed up. 

Is it ok to use this type of product -

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod127195/WURTH-RADIATOR-SEAL-HP-150ml/?source=doofinder

thanks, Sean 

I'd avoid using these. Have the system pressure tested and the leak should be more apparent and easier to confirm the source. At that end the tank, cap and pump are all suspect and in close proximity. 

10 hours ago, sjqprod said:

Hey guys 

I have a 2005 987 3.2 boxster S. Recently had the front coolant pipes, crossover pipes replaced now I seem to have a very slow drip under the engine onto the tray. Started when the weather warmed up. 

Is it ok to use this type of product -

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod127195/WURTH-RADIATOR-SEAL-HP-150ml/?source=doofinder

thanks, Sean 

Have you checked the water pump? They have a weep hole and will start to weep before they die.

Cheapest first try solution is the filler cap. You want the one that ends 04.  For some reason that I can't explain replacing mine cured a tiny drip at the front. Actually I've read somewher that the vent on the earlier part numbers is suspect. After you turn the engine off it can get hotter which increases pressure in the system. If it doesn't vent like it should the pressure finds another way out. Worked for me.

14 hours ago, edc said:

I'd avoid using these. Have the system pressure tested and the leak should be more apparent and easier to confirm the source. At that end the tank, cap and pump are all suspect and in close proximity. 

Hey - thanks for this. I thought the seal would be OK as it's approved for cross-flow cooling systems. It was only a temp thing as I don't have time to get this to a mechanic ATM, but still driving the car locally.

4 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Have you checked the water pump? They have a weep hole and will start to weep before they die.

I wouldn't be surprised, as this was next on my list of things to replace. I have no facility to get under the car properly, so will visit a mechanic, get the try off and have a proper look.

Edited by sjqprod

3 hours ago, JonSta said:

Cheapest first try solution is the filler cap. You want the one that ends 04.  For some reason that I can't explain replacing mine cured a tiny drip at the front. Actually I've read somewher that the vent on the earlier part numbers is suspect. After you turn the engine off it can get hotter which increases pressure in the system. If it doesn't vent like it should the pressure finds another way out. Worked for me.

I have a spare original cap in my car (came with the car) with the same ID number, but ends in .01 not (04). Theres a different cap on the car though, with NO product ID.

When i take the cap off after letting. the car cool, quite a bit of pressure and air comes out. Obviously current cap not letting the system breath.

cap.jpg

2 hours ago, sjqprod said:

Hey - thanks for this. I thought the seal would be OK as it's approved for cross-flow cooling systems. It was only a temp thing as I don't have time to get this to a mechanic ATM, but still driving the car locally.

Approved by the people who make the sealant.

Personally I don’t like the idea of putting stuff that is by design supposed to clog up into a cooling system.  I know these products are only supposed to set on contact with air but having had a v12 jag where they (Jaguar) recommended you put that kind of stuff on the cooling system only to find 5 years down the line it needed a new radiator and heater matrix because it had all settled in the system (yes.  They all do that Sir) I vowed never to do it again.  

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, sjqprod said:

I have a spare original cap in my car (came with the car) with the same ID number, but ends in .01 not (04). Theres a different cap on the car though, with NO product ID.

When i take the cap off after letting. the car cool, quite a bit of pressure and air comes out. Obviously current cap not letting the system breath.

cap.jpg

Yeah that looks like the one I threw away. It was dated 2017 so wasn't that old. 

Hey,

For anyone following this, or that finds it in the future.

I replaced the bottle cap (as advised above) and this seems to have stopped the micro leak (after a big drive).
It appears that the previous cap was not allowing pressure to escape the cooling system.

Thanks all.

Sean