Car cover

Kev62

Hi all

After a privileged life of being garaged  my 981 is going to have to spend some time outside. Can anyone recommend a good car cover that will not scratch the paintwork when windy.

Many thanks

kev

Good luck finding one that doesn’t.I used to use one and think it does as much harm as good tbh.Might be tempting getting one that just covered the rooftop but haven’t tried any so far..You can have mine if you like?got stitched in mirror covers etc.FOC.

• Thanks 1

My 981 lives in the garage since selling a couple of my motorcycles. But my 987 used to live out side and I used a cover from Custom covers that fitted perfectly with mirror pockets and straps underneath. But i also use to put a Porsche indoor cover underneath to prevent scratches as it’s really soft 👍

• Thanks 1

I think I've mentioned it in another post but I can't recommend this Half Cover enough. It's proved it's fully waterproof over the last few months, and so easy to fit in a minute. I've added a couple of loops so I can tie it in the middle( small rope running under car and picking up loop on other side) after folding in the mirrors. With this done it is very stable in strong wind and does not flap about due to the corners being fixed by elastic straps down to wheel spokes. 

It is a SUMEX Premium Semi Cover,. SMALL size. Was about £20 last time I looked on AMAZON.

Attempt to uploadSUMEX Cover, Small ttps://imgur.com/gallery/sMbkbWah a photo

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, alank said:

I think I've mentioned it in another post but I can't recommend this Half Cover enough. It's proved it's fully waterproof over the last few months, and so easy to fit in a minute. I've added a couple of loops so I can tie it in the middle( small rope running under car and picking up loop on other side) after folding in the mirrors. With this done it is very stable in strong wind and does not flap about due to the corners being fixed by elastic straps down to wheel spokes. 

It is a SUMEX Premium Semi Cover,. SMALL size. Was about £20 last time I looked on AMAZON.

1zc1iPR.jpeg

I use a Cabrio Shield Premium on my 986 that lives outside all year round, excellent product, no signs of paint damage after regular use (more in winter than summer) over nearly 3 years.  They doo seem to be a bit dearer than 3 years ago though but a small 3 figure investment for protect even a 4 let alone a 5 figure car like yours.

• Thanks 1

I use a Halfords All Season Car Cover on my Mini. It has a soft lining and the car has a gloss black roof which would show any scratches. All good so far. I find it quite satisfying to wipe the bird mess off the cover and not ingrained into the car's paintwork!

Edited by bbob1
  • Thanks 1

I have one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/WeatherPRO-Porsche-Boxster-2012-2016-Cover/dp/B01MS40OUI/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=981+car+cover&pid=S7yAEwV&qid=1624009016&sr=1-2&vehicle=92-11487-10119-15979-1-1&vehicleName=Porsche+Boxster+Convertible+S+3.4

And when we finally move i will have a nice large garage and will no longer need it, so will be going up for sale potentially mid July

On 6/16/2021 at 7:44 PM, alank said:

Thank you very much I will look at this one 👍👍

12 hours ago, mrbikerdood said:

I have one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/WeatherPRO-Porsche-Boxster-2012-2016-Cover/dp/B01MS40OUI/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=981+car+cover&pid=S7yAEwV&qid=1624009016&sr=1-2&vehicle=92-11487-10119-15979-1-1&vehicleName=Porsche+Boxster+Convertible+S+3.4

And when we finally move i will have a nice large garage and will no longer need it, so will be going up for sale potentially mid July

Looks like a good cover give me a shout if you decide to sell it. 👍👍

Had my 'cheap' Sumex cover for 16 months now, still 100 %water proof, and not worn my paint down to its undercoat. One thing I do do is before fitting I quickly wipe the paint  contact area with a microfibre cloth to remove any gritty stuff. Still fitted in under a minute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 6:03 PM, Liberty said:

Good luck finding one that doesn’t.I used to use one and think it does as much harm as good tbh.Might be tempting getting one that just covered the rooftop but haven’t tried any so far..You can have mine if you like?got stitched in mirror covers etc.FOC.

I don't understand this sort of reply to covers. Had my 987.2 under a cover for 3 and a bit years with no issues. 

cover ONLY after a wash/dry

do not over tighten the straps

remove in high winds

keep the car polished and waxed. 

it's great! 

Edited by Pinewood
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Pinewood said:

I don't understand this sort of reply to covers. Had my 987.2 under a cover for 3 and a bit years with no issues. 

cover ONLY after a wash/dry

do not over tighten the straps

remove in high winds

keep the car polished and waxed. 

it's great! 

For me it’s a bit like waterproof breathable coats..BS.(ok a waxed Barbour maybe)With you on the polish and waxing.

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2021 at 10:37 AM, bbob1 said:

I use a Halfords All Season Car Cover on my Mini. It has a soft lining and the car has a gloss black roof which would show any scratches. All good so far. I find it quite satisfying to wipe the bird mess off the cover and not ingrained into the car's paintwork!

Hi 

I also have the same cover for my Boxter do you wash the car before putting the cover on ??

thanks for any feedback 

2 hours ago, Kev62 said:

Hi 

I also have the same cover for my Boxter do you wash the car before putting the cover on ??

thanks for any feedback 

always always always wash and dry a car before covering. Also a good idea to remove the cover when the winds pick up

2 hours ago, Kev62 said:

Hi 

thanks for any feedback 

Yes I only ever use it if the car is clean or I don't bother until I next clean it. Having had no issues with it I can only assume that those who slate outdoor covers are using a poor one and/or on a dirty/dusty car.

Edited by bbob1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kev62 said:

Hi 

thanks for any feedback 

Yep, definitely clean before putting it on, otherwise don’t use it. Not worth the risk of damaging the paint

1 hour ago, Virglas said:

I had a genuine Porsche one and still ended up with plenty of marks at touch points across the car….would rather leave it to the elements than go down that route again. 

did you wash the car before covering EACH AND EVERY TIME? 

48 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

did you wash the car before covering EACH AND EVERY TIME? 

If it was a nice day and just took the car for a spin around the block probably not. Your right though….you probably need to wash the car every time regardless of how far you have been or what the weather was like. I also suspect that you need to launder the car cover as well to get rid of any dirt/dust that may have accumulated on the inside….

Blimey, this all seems a bit of a pain to me.  Think I'll stick to leaving my car outside in the open air, and just wash the bird poo off with water and a soft sponge as soon as I see it... :lol:  But, each to their own, obviously :thumbsup_anim:

2 hours ago, Virglas said:

If it was a nice day and just took the car for a spin around the block probably not. Your right though….you probably need to wash the car every time regardless of how far you have been or what the weather was like. I also suspect that you need to launder the car cover as well to get rid of any dirt/dust that may have accumulated on the inside….

I hose the inside of the cover, once a year, just with plain water. 

it's always rolled up and put in the provided bag. 

lot's of faff - wish I could hire a local garage as my one is now a study/office/guest room way before I ever thought about a convertible

Edited by Pinewood