Anyone installed Aero Wipers to a 986?

Rav

I want to install the cleaner lined Aero wipers to my 986s. Do i need to change the arms? Mine are a little dog eared, so i would welcome having to change these, but wondered if, like in the old days, these are cheaply available via a Mk2 golf or similar and an easy swap.

Yes got the Bosch retrofit now but had other versions before. Arms stay the same. 

I have the aero wipers and the passenger side does miss a small amount of the swept area in the bottom left of the screen and in parked position you can see the end 50mm is not quite touching the screen, but IIRC the original curved one was missing a bit there too but less before I changed.  They fit on the standard arms.  When I change mine again I may go back to the original style but I like the less cluttered look of the aero blade when parked.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, fizz said:

I need to get my wipers replaced and have also been reading the factory blades are curved unlike other options. 

Looks like that's the way I'll be going. 

I will be going back to the factory original blades.  The end for an aero blade misses the bottom corner on the passenger side as it sits off the screen for the last 100 mm or so. Bosch Spoiler SP21JS and SP22S are the correct blades.  They also come in a two blade kit from Bosch, 582S.  Halfords regularly seem to be cheapest, and most convenient.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Alan36 said:

Do you have a link to them ad I can't find them for a 986?

Look up the Bosch codes, SP21JS and SP22S or 582 for the kit of 2 blades, they are not exclusive to the 986.

I bought some Areoblades and immediately took them off again. Where the wiper arm slots into the blade, there is a fairly big plastic housing that is very visible from inside the car. They were always in the corner of my eye and just bothered me too much...

Swapped my aero blades for the Bosch blades listed above and noticed that the last 20-30mm of the curved passenger side blade still does not quite touch the screen at the outside tip when parked.  Better than the aero blade but still not perfect.  Also the driver's side blade seems very bulky in your eye line when in use compared to the aero blade; there was a lot of rain yesterday on my 230 mile round trip to Kent to verify this...  Seems to be a compromise of some sort either way.  Now, on to Rain-X?

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Swapped my aero blades for the Bosch blades listed above and noticed that the last 20-30mm of the curved passenger side blade still does not quite touch the screen at the outside tip when parked.  Better than the aero blade but still not perfect.  Also the driver's side blade seems very bulky in your eye line when in use compared to the aero blade; there was a lot of rain yesterday on my 230 mile round trip to Kent to verify this...  Seems to be a compromise of some sort either way.  Now, on to Rain-X?

You reminded me that I'd bought some and they needed fitting so popped outside and got them on.

First thing I noticed was the wind deflector was facing the wrong way and wondered if these were made the wrong way round only to discover that you can pop out the bracket it sits on and swap it round! 

Next thing, the passenger side cruved wiper did you fit it so it curves up or down? I tried it both ways and agree that it still misses a inch or so but worked better curved downwards towards the scuttle. 

1 hour ago, fizz said:

You reminded me that I'd bought some and they needed fitting so popped outside and got them on.

First thing I noticed was the wind deflector was facing the wrong way and wondered if these were made the wrong way round only to discover that you can pop out the bracket it sits on and swap it round! 

Next thing, the passenger side cruved wiper did you fit it so it curves up or down? I tried it both ways and agree that it still misses a inch or so but worked better curved downwards towards the scuttle. 

I tried both and with the curve down it was sitting over the scuttle so figured it would get damaged over time.  I'm pretty sure the curve up is correct but stand to be corrected. 

1 hour ago, fizz said:

Next thing, the passenger side cruved wiper did you fit it so it curves up or down?

Smiley face.

Like the driver's side, the plastic bit pops out and the blade can be flipped 180.

Out of the box they are set up for LHD.

1 hour ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Smiley face.

Like the driver's side, the plastic bit pops out and the blade can be flipped 180.

Out of the box they are set up for LHD.

Yup I noticed that and quickly worked out you can pop out the clip and swap it over.