Zunsport grills

Lonewolfgjp

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the Zunsport grills on the 981?

Do they well and look the part or do they still look a bit awkward?

I ve never really got on with them on my previous Boxsters as I didn’t think they fitted very well but the 981 version do look better but I can’t really find any decent pictures.

Thanks in advance 👍

I did buy some Zunsports, fitted them and used them for a week or so but then removed them, sold them on and made my own.

My experience was that they looked a little odd and I wasn't 100% on the quality of the fitment, they all seem to protrude slightly differently between the slats. My 2 top grilles also touched the paint on the bumper at the top corners - I was convinced it would rub it down to primer pretty quickly!

I prefer the look of mesh behind the slats and have stuck with that.

Lots of people seem to love them though, so it's all personal choice I guess......

39 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the Zunsport grills on the 981?

They are brilliant mate.  I've got a Cayman 981, but I guess they must look the same on the Boxster (not sure if they are the same part number though, so you need to check that before ordering). 

Here's mine:

20210701_154146

And the side grilles:

20210701_154322

An excellent finishing touch, and I think we can all agree they look awesome :lol:

No need to remove the bumper, but they are a bit fiddly to fit, so I left that to a mate who happens to be a BMW Master Technician, and it took him about 20 mins.

Important note: There is a discount code available, so you don't need to pay full price.  I paid £286.94 in total for mine, which saved £71.73 with the discount code.  I think the codes change from time to time, so just do a search for the latest one and enter it at the checkout, making sure it works before proceeding with the payment.

I hope that helps anyway mate.

(p.s. Might as well add a gratuitous full view of the car):

20210701_154402

:thumbsup_anim:

31 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Expensive and not quite as good looking as the DIY alternative.

23 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Well... that told me... :lol:

I can only assume he is going to start a business to compete with Zunnsport??

I think yours look good @Davey P :)

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Expensive and not quite as good looking as the DIY alternative.

I have them on mine and wouldn't be without them or a DIY alternative seeing as the BGTS has x3 rads on the front of the 'basking shark' inlets.

Bit of ally mesh, some Silicone perhaps and a rattle can could well do the job just as well as they are properly over priced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

Well... that told me... :lol:

Ha ha to be fair yours do look good, but you have a Cayman and this is a Boxster forum which is where my comment was directed.

I would also add that Zunsports like to go missing but in their defence they always replace them foc. 

No business idea from me I've messed up by showing you all how to do it for about £15 on my YouTube channel !

• Haha 1

I just watched the fitting video on the Zunsport site, and I'd hope their grilles are better than their video technique.  They have a big floodlight to illuminate the work, but most of the time it's shining into the camera lens, so the activity you need to see is in darkness.

Front grilles work for me. I have made DIY grilles for the intakes at the back as I wasn't keen on the look of the ZS's.

I fitted them fairly early on in ownership and have done around 22k miles. There's ususally a discount code kicking about somewhere on line.

Now that I have had the front bumper off a few time I could have made a some DIY jobs but they were easy to remove when the car was in warranty (some OPC's don't like grilles)

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

you have a Cayman and this is a Boxster forum

Thanks for the warm welcome mate :lol:

(Edit: Discount code was PC092015 but check first to make sure it works at the checkout)

Edited by Davey P
discount code added

42 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Thanks for the warm welcome mate :lol:

(Edit: Discount code was PC092015 but check first to make sure it works at the checkout)

You are going to have to man up if you want to cut it with roofless crowd! Hairdresser pun intended!

Edited by daz05
  • Haha 1

They are the only thing I have done to mine since I bought her from Guv's - so easy to put on even I could do it - you just need a screwdriver and some masking tape - personally I think it really ads to the look.

Had them previously for 5 years in front of my 987 rads and the ones on my 981 are now 7+ years old. Look pretty good to me, very durable (no deterioration at all in that time, sold the 987 ones, still looked new). I admit that on the 981 if you are really picky the 3 pieces on each side aren't an absolutely perfect fit but when the car was under warranty it was a 5 min job to remove them all and another 5 mins to refit before/after OPC service. Even now I remove them occasionally to clean out the shredded flies behind - I couldn't be bothered to remove the front PU every time if I had fitted mesh behind the grilles instead. Summary - they work for me.

4 hours ago, daz05 said:

4 hours ago, daz05 said:

I would also add that Zunsports like to go missing but in their defence they always replace them foc. 

I have fitted the Zunsport Grills front and rear and had one go missing from the rear. But as Daz mentioned replacement sent free of charge 👍

IMHO they look good on my current 981 and previous 987

Hi Gareth,

I had the Zunsports supplied and fitted by them direct, they are local to me, dropped the car off and picked it up a couple of hours later, it doesn’t take them long just suited me to leave the car and go look at a job.

I guess I am biased but I think they are really good and look OEM

BTW I can’t post pics on here ( to much of a Luddite), but I can send some by WhatsApp or something, if it stops raining anytime soon 😄😄,

take care,

cheers

Carl

I have fitted the fronts DIY grills as per daz05 TDS and very happy with the result. Decided to buy Zunsport for rear valance as no real DIY available.They were very difficult to fit and scratched paint. Their reply to my email concerns were "have you watched the YouTube install video"............really!

I had to fit wire ties to secure the grills in case they fall out while driving which kind of defeats the reason why I bought them.

Customer service eventually gave up trying to solve the problem..................so did !

4 hours ago, perebrine said:

If you're making your own, what mesh do you use & from where?

Here you go, the links to the mesh is in the video description in YouTube.

They sit slightly behind the slats so you get a cleaner look and they don't fall out either.

IMG-20210708-WA0004

these are my own side vents, look so much better than the ZSs I had before. In two pieces held on with industrial super glue from screw fix.

Edited by mneil
predictive
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the comments and information.

I decided as I had got the air con guy coming out today I would try and make my own grills.

I made a cardboard template last night, so I had the option to either fit them with the bumper in place or if the air con guy needed to remove the bumper I could fit them front behind.

51298201277_a453f9a463_b.jpg

They don’t look great in cardboard 😂

51299723812_e0575952e8_b.jpg

But they look nice in black mesh 👍

51300466691_9de8fa1564_b.jpg

You could be forgiven for thinking I had saved a fortune diying them but in reality it has cost me over £600 to repair the air conditioning. But he did take the bumper off which meant fitting the grills was way easier 😂

Overall I’m very impressed, nice cold air conditioning and some smart new grills protecting my investment 😎

• Like 2