Front bonnet badge

Shippers01

My bonnet badge has decided to come off, though sort if knew it had been bodged in past as slightly at an angel. After recent hot spell it has now come off. Appears someone has used some sort of black mastic stuff to put it back on. Would using something like tiger seal be o.k. to use?? Or has anybody used something else. Also behind badge is like a plastic thing which is flat one side and slight ridge on other, take it it goes flat side down on bonnet??? Then badge sits on the ridge slightly raised bit??

Thanks

Jason

5 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I thought they usually bolt through the bonnet with nuts on the inside? Yours doesn’t sound right. No bolt holes?

Mine has bolt holes and you can see the bolts through from underneath the bonnet. The badge has obviously broken at some point hence somone using mastic to stick the badge back on!! Was looking for a quick fix rather than paying opc for a new one!!! Though not sure how much new one will be.

I replaced a bonnet badge in the past.  Plastic/rubber shaped buffer to frame the badge and protect the paintwork, badge sits on top of this with the two bolts going through and fixed from the other side with single use fixings filled with a sealing compound from memory.  Cost of the badge was not outrageous - maybe £70 or so from memory.

13 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I replaced a bonnet badge in the past.  Plastic/rubber shaped buffer to frame the badge and protect the paintwork, badge sits on top of this with the two bolts going through and fixed from the other side with single use fixings filled with a sealing compound from memory.  Cost of the badge was not outrageous - maybe £70 or so from memory.

Thanks. Will call opc in morning and see how much they are now. Perhaps my black mastic stuff was original sealing compound and my badge has broken due to old age!!! Might try and see if i can stick mine back on for day or so with some mastic just till i get new one.

35 minutes ago, rowbos said:

What he said, sounds like you might have an aftermarket badge if it doesn’t have two locating pins on the back

26 minutes ago, Shippers01 said:

Thanks. Will call opc in morning and see how much they are now. Perhaps my black mastic stuff was original sealing compound and my badge has broken due to old age!!! Might try and see if i can stick mine back on for day or so with some mastic just till i get new one.

Make sure to get a new rubber gasket/plinth that the badge sits on and the two nuts as well badge as they work together to create the seal to prevent water leaking inside.  IIRC the cost is a touch more than @rowbos has indicated.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

Just now, rowbos said:

In fairness you are probably right.  With my usual approach I probably told my wife it cost £15 😇

Man maths and then the audit rules that apply to information passing to SWMBO, nuf said. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, the baron said:

What he said, sounds like you might have an aftermarket badge if it doesn’t have two locating pins on the back

Mine has those, they have just snapped off flush with the badge. You can see the pins from underneath the bonnet!!! Was trying to work out if someone bodged it back on or if it was original mastic or compound.

Porsche didn’t use anything to hold the badge in place like mastic etc. It’s just the two locating pins with the nuts on the reverse along with the rubber backing plate to stop water build up and protect the paintwork.

if those have snapped off I’d look at buying a replacement badge

Edited by the baron
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, the baron said:

Porsche didn’t use anything to hold the badge place like mastic etc. It’s just the two locating pins with the nuts on he reverse along with the rubber backing plate to stop water build up and protect the paintwork

Guess badge broke and a previous owner just used some black mastic stuff to put the badge back on. It was bit sticky on bonnet with the masyic residue when it came off. Will give it another clean before putting on new badge!!

£59 for the badge, £4 for the rubber pad and £3 for a pair of tapping nuts should be the rough price of the parts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shippers01 said:

Hi araf, is that opc price??

De Roure which are genuine parts and slightly below OPC.  If you speak with your OPC parts dept and mention the prices, they will usually match.  I'd give you the part numbers but I only have 987 numbers and I'm not sure if there were any changes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Araf said:

De Roure which are genuine parts and slightly below OPC.  If you speak with your OPC parts dept and mention the prices, they will usually match.  I'd give you the part numbers but I only have 987 numbers and I'm not sure if there were any changes.

Thanks araf.

1 hour ago, Araf said:

£59 for the badge, £4 for the rubber pad and £3 for a pair of tapping nuts should be the rough price of the parts.

There we go, that is the useful post!!!! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

996 559 211 01  Porsche crest   £84.92
7L5 853 611 B Underlay  £5.91
WHT 004 974 Nut £0.63
Todays OPC prices, All plus VAT
Anything out there thats cheaper by more than 10 % max wont be Genuine
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, T911UK said:
996 559 211 01  Porsche crest   £84.92
7L5 853 611 B Underlay  £5.91
WHT 004 974 Nut £0.63
Todays OPC prices, All plus VAT
Anything out there thats cheaper by more than 10 % max wont be Genuine

That's more than I remember paying (from an OPC) but that will be my rose tinted glasses...

10% PCGB discount...

55 minutes ago, T911UK said:

10% if you are super lucky, the OPC doesnt have to give a fixed, if any discount!

I have deliberately built a relationship with the parts manager at my local OPC and they have never failed to give 10% or in a couple of cases more. That is without any club affiliations.

Be nice, make it look like you know what you are about and show you are an enthusiastic Classic owner seems to be the basis to work on.

Edited by ½cwt