986 3.2 S Manual (Y26 SJW) questions....

verboten-motorsport

Afternoon All,

For a while now the 3.2 S 986 has been getting under my skin. I have taken the plunge and put a deposit down on a cheap one....so it all could go horribly wrong !

The car is a Silver 2001 986 3.2 S manual with 130,000 mile on it......so again what could possibly go wrong.

I have not owned a Boxster before but have a little experience with Porsche cars and what is most likely to cause me pain in ownership.

Depending on what paperwork trail/history comes with the car will depend on the jobs required. If there is no history of  IMS change I think I will drop the gearbox and change it and probably do a clutch change as well.

First question is does anyone know the car its reg is Y26SJW

Second question is what ODB reader should I invest in (up to around £100) That will allow me to read and reset codes.

I have a well equiped double garage and have other vehicles so do not need to drive the Boxster as a daily..but would if I could !!

Based in Northamptonshire .

Thanks

Sam

Edited by verboten-motorsport

Good afternoon Verb. It sounds like you've gone in with your eyes open. If it runs nicely, it'll probably go on doing that for a long time yet. These cars seem pretty robust.

I hope it brings you lasting pleasure, as mine does for me.

My car is on 131k, so here's my two cents: Budget around 2k a year for repairs and upgrades. Think of the car as a rolling restoration and in about 5 years time it will probably be in very good shape indeed. There will be expensive bills along the way, some of them for stuff that you can't even see and does not affect the driving experience. If the car has a good service history and the oil has been changed regularly, and you use it often and keep on top of servicing, you don't need to worry about the IMS until it's time to change the clutch, at which time you will also probably swap out the dual mass flywheel and get the rms replaced too. Other stuff that will be tired at this mileage include the air-con lines and condensers, the water pump, the AOS, the brake lines, the coolant expansion tank and the suspension. If your car rattles and clonks over bumps on the road, the rubber bushes in your coffin arms/tuning forks/ARBs will probably have perished. Top mounts delaminate, bump stops disintegrate to nothing, the rear ARB can rust, springs creep and break, dampers weep. The engine mount will also perish eventually. And halogen headlights melt on the inside, at which point they cannot be repaired, you'd have to replace them. Did I forget anything? Oh, the exhaust brackets will rust like the railings on the wreck of the Titanic, O2 sensors will be seized in place, your shifter will be worn out and feel loose by now and you will have oil leaks from the spark plug tubes, cam cover and the aforementioned RMS. MAF sensors may or may not live long, depending on the state of your air filter and where you drive the car (you should be OK as it's a second car. You won't be worried about roof leaks or plastic rear window degradation if the car is garaged either).  Maybe all of this has already been addressed, in which case you're good for a few years and a couple dozen k miles. Maybe not...

29 minutes ago, verboten-motorsport said:

Thanks O/S for the comprehensive list. Most of which I had identified but some I had not... What odb reader do you guys use to identify issues ?

I'm in Kettering if you'd like to borrow my iCarsoft PORv1.0 to see if it meets you needs, costs i about £100 so on your budget.  Send me a message to set this up.  You are also welcome to check over my 2000 3.2 S and I can talk you through the work I've done over the last 3 years to get it to a fair condition and some of the modest upgrades I've done too.

The for model year you are looking at it is the switch over from the earlier more robust dual row IMS bearing to the more problematic single row.  However if the engine ahs got to 130k miles it is received wisdom that if it was going to fail prematurely it would have by now.  If you can get the engine number off the V5 I can let you know whether you are on the right side of the issue or not. 

4 hours ago, verboten-motorsport said:

First question is does anyone know the car its reg is Y26SJW

I'd suggest you ask @Arafto change the thread title to "Does anyone know Y26 SJW", you might get a faster answer.

If it's the one that was bought and quickly sold in the thread "just a dad doing dad things" then you might want to be prepared!

1 hour ago, verboten-motorsport said:

1/2cwt. That is a very kind offer thanks. I have not actually completed the purchase yet, I am hoping to inspect it next Thursday. Is yours the dual row bearing or single ? Have you changed it ?

Nice that you are so near as well !

Mine is the earlier dual rom. Not been changed.

You are welcome to take a look before you see your potential purchase to get the heads up on what to look for in advance, rather than find a long list with a large price tag having done a deal.

• Araf changed the title to 986 3.2 S Manual (Y26 SJW) questions....

The mot history is certainly chequered.   I note it failed on excessively corroded brake pipe, then passed a week later then failed again a year after that for the same thing. Bit fishy.  Sounds like a project.... Good luck. 

12 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Mine is the earlier dual rom. Not been changed.

You are welcome to take a look before you see your potential purchase to get the heads up on what to look for in advance, rather than find a long list with a large price tag having done a deal.

Thanks 1/2cwt I am away on business for a couple of days but back sometime on Wed.. Could I possibly take an hour of your time on Wednesday evening if convenient ?

8 minutes ago, verboten-motorsport said:

Thanks 1/2cwt I am away on business for a couple of days but back sometime on Wed.. Could I possibly take an hour of your time on Wednesday evening if convenient ?

I've sent you a message.

37 minutes ago, verboten-motorsport said:

Thanks Mike yes it is a strange one I agree.

Did you not carry out the MOT history check prior to committing to buy? 

With regard the works etc, if you have a decent garage and tools, the gearbox for example is a very simple box to remove and no doubt you'll do that in a couple of hours. 

If you get stuck on any specific job, shout and I will assist where I can 

58 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Did you not carry out the MOT history check prior to committing to buy? 

With regard the works etc, if you have a decent garage and tools, the gearbox for example is a very simple box to remove and no doubt you'll do that in a couple of hours. 

If you get stuck on any specific job, shout and I will assist where I can 

Yes Trooper I did and I took it into account with my offer to the seller. I have placed a refundable deposit which will be refunded if the inspection of the car throws up some issues. I am hoping the work on the car as I am a engineer by trade and have repaired complex pieces of plant and machinery in the past !

thanks very much for your offer of tech knowledge. It is appreciated 

thanks

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Did you buy?

If so, first job would be to change the oil, and drop the sump pan to check for any debris.  At that mileage you may have chain guides breaking up.  Depends how its been looked after.

In terms of IMS, as others have said, wait for gearbox off and check then (unless metal in your oil filter!), you may be lucky and be one of the last dual row, although change over was 2000 MY

5 hours ago, Boxstclever said:

Did you buy?

If so, first job would be to change the oil, and drop the sump pan to check for any debris.  At that mileage you may have chain guides breaking up.  Depends how its been looked after.

In terms of IMS, as others have said, wait for gearbox off and check then (unless metal in your oil filter!), you may be lucky and be one of the last dual row, although change over was 2000 MY

Change over was in 2001MY at engine number M 671 11237 being the last dual row, M 671 11238 being the first single row for the 3.2, 2.7 last dual row was M 651 12852 for those that want to know.

BTW @verboten-motorsport we never got to talk...?