987 interior room VS 986 - just the seats?

TV8

There seems to be slightly less room in the earlier car but I am not sure if this is due to the seats or more than just the seats? I used the 987 daily but I find the 996 just a bit to snug for that and as I keep browsing the classifieds for another convertible, the 986 appeals if a change of seats to 987 versions gets a bit of leg room back. 
thanks in advance

4 hours ago, Quinten said:

My son had a 2000 986 S and now has a 2005 987 S and the interior is more generous in the 987.  The advantage the 986 had was that you could do the "GT3 delete" which creates more space for your left leg.

I have taken centre console out of my 996 and to be honest I haven’t noticed any difference in leg room but I do like the look though..

glwOpov.jpg

As @Quintenmentioned, 

My 986 had more leg room after removing the centre console. I still fit in a 987, however the centre console does restrict my ability to place my foot on the clutch straight, but apart from that it's not too bad in both. 987 definitely feels "wider" and not as compressed. 

If you raise the seat slightly, you can get it back a tiny bit further which makes gives you a bit more legroom, if you have the ability to sacrifice a little headroom of course. I think also in the 987, the fully automatic seats give you a tiny bit more room too, but could be wrong on that front

Gentlemen

I've fitted 9x7 seats to both my 986 and 996.

The easiest way to explain the difference between 9x6 and 9x7 seat is for me to explain using my 996.  I used to have the 996 seat all the way back and all the way down.  Now I am suing the 997 seat I have it 3 clicks forward and every time I drive it I think the seat is too low.

So yes the seat alone makes a massive difference.

20210916-192633.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 987 and never been in a 986. I am 6' 3". I have the seat fully back and lowered. The steering wheel is adjusted slightly higher than I would like. In this position driving is fine except for when turning and changing gear (manual) and then I can easily get my knee 'trapped' under the wheel and my hand. I would be happier with more legroom....

15 hours ago, ATM said:

Gentlemen

I've fitted 9x7 seats to both my 986 and 996.

The easiest way to explain the difference between 9x6 and 9x7 seat is for me to explain using my 996.  I used to have the 996 seat all the way back and all the way down.  Now I am suing the 997 seat I have it 3 clicks forward and every time I drive it I think the seat is too low.

So yes the seat alone makes a massive difference.

20210916-192633.jpg

Thank you for the explanation. Are the seat runners the same please? I have removed the stop on the 996 seats and that forget s a few more mm but that option is not there with the Boxster as the engine cover doesn’t move!

Edited by TV8

16 hours ago, entdgc said:

I have a 987 and never been in a 986. I am 6' 3". I have the seat fully back and lowered. The steering wheel is adjusted slightly higher than I would like. In this position driving is fine except for when turning and changing gear (manual) and then I can easily get my knee 'trapped' under the wheel and my hand. I would be happier with more legroom....

That's why I changed to an aftermarket wheel with a spacer, makes a world of difference.

8 hours ago, TV8 said:

Do the 987 seats go into the existing 986 runners or is it a complete change? 

Yes

Undo 4 bolts and remove old seat. New seat mates up to floor exactly same way. Put 4 bolts back in. Done 

The above ignores wiring.

I chose to remove seat belt buckle from 986 seat and transfer over to 987 seat on driver side to allow me to the plug seat belt warning plug into car's wiring harness more easily. There isn't one on passenger.

Currently I have no power connected to rake adjustment so seat angle stuck in same position. 

20210916-190002.jpg

17 hours ago, MickH said:

That's why I changed to an aftermarket wheel with a spacer, makes a world of difference.

This is next on my to do list. I might try the wheel from my 996 on the 986 to see if I like it. 996 came with this wheel fitted already. What wheel did you go for, what adapter kit, horn button and how did you fool the airbag light?

Horn on my 996 has stopped working intermittently. 

2 hours ago, ATM said:

This is next on my to do list. I might try the wheel from my 996 on the 986 to see if I like it. 996 came with this wheel fitted already. What wheel did you go for, what adapter kit, horn button and how did you fool the airbag light?

Horn on my 996 has stopped working intermittently. 

Have a look at my thread.  I have a 320mm Mountney which I'm changing to a Momo 350mm, just as a trial.

A Momo boss, OMP spacer and some resistors from eBay for the airbag.  One thing to note, you need 2 resistors and if you don't have a code reader make sure you connect them before reconnecting the battery, otherwise you will get the airbag light.

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2021 at 8:56 AM, MickH said:

Have a look at my thread.  I have a 320mm Mountney which I'm changing to a Momo 350mm, just as a trial.

A Momo boss, OMP spacer and some resistors from eBay for the airbag.  One thing to note, you need 2 resistors and if you don't have a code reader make sure you connect them before reconnecting the battery, otherwise you will get the airbag light.

Where is this thread?