Wet carpet

mortzz

That old chestnut again,  passenger side carpet wet, cant work out were its coming from , is it blocked drain ways, happened last year same side, if I remove the cabin filter and put my hand right inside theres water down there so dryed that out , any help guys 

21 minutes ago, Boxsum said:

If l leave mine outside for a while I always turn my heating fan off so the flap is always closed under the pollen filter. 
Was the pollen filter itself wet?Depending how you park, slope wise, water can still find its way in as the plastic cover isn’t great.

The pollen filter wasn't wet but there was s fair bit of water in there,  I will ensure I turn the fan off never thought of that before 

27 minutes ago, mortzz said:

The pollen filter wasn't wet but there was s fair bit of water in there,  I will ensure I turn the fan off never thought of that before 

Do you have water in the trough below the battery?

Pollen filter is drivers side if I recall, it should not be wet, there is a drain hole fairly close on the off side (drivers UK) but a fair bit lower down, make sure it's not blocked. How are the window seals around there? Many leaves visible when you open the frunk?

Not sure why passenger side carpet is damp when you see water on the pollen filter.

41 minutes ago, GmanB said:

Pollen filter is drivers side if I recall, it should not be wet, there is a drain hole fairly close on the off side (drivers UK) but a fair bit lower down, make sure it's not blocked. How are the window seals around there? Many leaves visible when you open the frunk?

Not sure why passenger side carpet is damp when you see water on the pollen filter.

The pollen filter is on the passenger side.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mortzz said:

Yes 

That, I think, is the problem. The trough fills up with water and finds it way through the filter housing to the interior of the car.  This happens if the trough gets very full or when the car is driven around corners and the water sloshes from side to side. Think of a bath with an overflow.

There is a drain under or near the battery which is blocked. It needs to be unblocked.

• 1 month later...

Well, we recently moved and even though I kept the rear drains mostly clear of debris, I now have water under the driver's seat. It's been pouring non-stop since last week, and the garage was full of boxes and other move related cr*p so I couldn't get the Boxster into it. Checked yesterday and it was slightly wet under the driver's seat. Opened the roof to service position and checked for water.... had about an inch and a half sitting there. Stuck a wire coat hanger down the drain and wiggled it about until I heard water pour down on the ground just in front of the rear wheel. All good, or so I thought. I put a dehumidifier bag down and checked this morning. Absolutely soaked. And if I push down on the carpet behind the seat I can hear a squelching noise. Not good. I put some towels in there whilst I got some cat litter. Put cat litter in a silk stocking and am leaving it overnight.  It's in the garage now so no more water ingress and I'll just keep putting cat litter down until it comes out dry.

Just now, RedBarediver said:

Well, we recently moved and even though I kept the rear drains mostly clear of debris, I now have water under the driver's seat. It's been pouring non-stop since last week, and the garage was full of boxes and other move related cr*p so I couldn't get the Boxster into it. Checked yesterday and it was slightly wet under the driver's seat. Opened the roof to service position and checked for water.... had about an inch and a half sitting there. Stuck a wire coat hanger down the drain and wiggled it about until I heard water pour down on the ground just in front of the rear wheel. All good, or so I thought. I put a dehumidifier bag down and checked this morning. Absolutely soaked. And if I push down on the carpet behind the seat I can hear a squelching noise. Not good. I put some towels in there whilst I got some cat litter. Put cat litter in a silk stocking and am leaving it overnight.  It's in the garage now so no more water ingress and I'll just keep putting cat litter down until it comes out dry.

If you have power in the garage then getting a dehumidifier into the car will help speed things up, as will getting the seats out and pulling up the rear of the carpet (with something to catch the water going forward).

17 minutes ago, iborguk said:

If you have power in the garage then getting a dehumidifier into the car will help speed things up, as will getting the seats out and pulling up the rear of the carpet (with something to catch the water going forward).

I do have power in the garage but the dehumidfier that I wanted to use was unserviceable. I'll keep going with the cat litter in a stocking for now, but if needed I'll take out the seats and remove the carpet. It's in the garage now for the rest of the winter so lots of time to do little fixes etc. Gotta get the front bumper cover off to clean between the radiators and condensers too.

21 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

There's no way your drying that out unless you completely remove the carpet. We have three at work now that have been drying in front of the workshop heaters. It's really not that bad a job to remove it if you have room.

Thanks, I'll have a look on the weekend to see if I can get the seats out. The garage is full of assorted dive kit etc etc so not really room to do much else. If I want to take the seats out I shall need to take the car out of the garage to give me room to work. It fits rather snugly in the garage at the moment. For the present I shall persist with the cat litter in a stocking. It has absorbed most of the water that made it through onto the carpet already, but obviously the thick underlay is still wet - and will stay wet for some time unless I get the seats out to get the whole thing properly dried out. I'll also get a new dehumidifier as the garage is newly built and still drying out (as all newbuilds do for the first year or so).

Good tip.

It may seem crazy to put forward a canine product to squidge up water, but a Groomers aquasorb does a good job.

push seat right forward, lay the doubled aquasorb on the carpet near rear bulkhead and push down into between rear firewall and carpet and then stand on top, pull out, wring out and repeat. You get loads out.

• Like 1

I wedged old newspapers under my carpet, did a great but slow job of extracting water from the soundproofing- it isn’t the carpet that’s hard to dry out but the sponge beneath it. Easier on the passenger side if you can whip the seat out for a bit. Ever since I reseated the hood cover seal on top of the B post it has stayed dry thankfully.

Edited by Pacoryan
One mans deck lid is another’s clam shell or hood cover…

Why is a car as well built as a Boxster so flawed when it comes to water ingress so most of us have watercress or frogs in our footwells.

If it keeps raining like it has done in Derbyshire for the remaining part of the Christmas holiday period I’m tempted to do what Top Gear did to Oliver in Africa. Get a gun or in legal terms a drill and hole cutter to let the water out.

It is a problem with most cars that have folding roofs whether cloth or metal.  Look at the number of older convertibles that look fogged up in side at times. Took me ages to get the roof to fully seal on Mrs ½cwt's VW EOS a few years ago.  Her current Golf Mk6 cabrio has the occasional pool in the spare wheel well.  Water has a tendency to find the path of least resistance wither by gravity or capillary action and if these paths are blocked or damaged it will exploit its new freedom to the full.

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance, I'm afraid.

Edited by ½cwt

21 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance, I'm afraid.

^This^, the need the drains checked regularly , especially if the car lives outside.

Also the plastic drains need to be cleared with the appropriate approach e.g. a trombone cleaner or a gentle blast of air, not with a sharp pointy metal thing.

Edited by iborguk

7 hours ago, iborguk said:

not with a sharp pointy metal thing.

Too true. I guess I panicked when I saw all that water. Mine normally lives inside a nice warm and dry garage. Or at least used to. The current garage is very damp. I have had the dehumidifier going a few hours now and it is extracting water from the air but it is such a piddly little thing that I doubt it will make much difference in the long run. Especially once I can start diving again and the garage is full of wet dive kit after every weekend... 

I may invest in a more powerful dehumidifier. Oh, and a trombone cleaner too!

5 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Too true. I guess I panicked when I saw all that water. Mine normally lives inside a nice warm and dry garage. Or at least used to. The current garage is very damp. I have had the dehumidifier going a few hours now and it is extracting water from the air but it is such a piddly little thing that I doubt it will make much difference in the long run. Especially once I can start diving again and the garage is full of wet dive kit after every weekend... 

I may invest in a more powerful dehumidifier. Oh, and a trombone cleaner too!

If you've not got the seats out yet you may find that pushing the seats all the way forward and placing something like a small Tupperware box under the foam behind the seats on each side to raise it off the floor plan may help airflow when drying (just make sure any water can't roll forward towards anything under the seats). 

Edited by iborguk

Just now, iborguk said:

If you've not got the seats out yet you may find that pushing the seats all the way forward and placing something like a small Tupperware box under the foam on each side to raise the foam off the floor plan may help airflow when drying (just make sure any water can't roll forward towards anything under the seats). 

That's a great idea. I'll let the dehumidifier run overnight and get in there tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can get the car out of the garage (if the rain holds off long enough) and fiddle about in there. When I put it back in the garage I may just put the dehumidifier on an extension lead so I can place the whole unit inside the car rather than just have it stand in the garage.

5 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

That's a great idea. I'll let the dehumidifier run overnight and get in there tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can get the car out of the garage (if the rain holds off long enough) and fiddle about in there. When I put it back in the garage I may just put the dehumidifier on an extension lead so I can place the whole unit inside the car rather than just have it stand in the garage.

I'd suggest just make sure it's not too tall an item to lift it, you don't want to deform the foam, but I've seen the approach help even if it's lifted just a few cm off the floor plan. It will still take a few days to dry mind even with a dehumidifier in play.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1