Macan oil leak

Toddie

Car was in Leeds OPC for 4 year service and they send me a video showing an oil leak @ both sides of the front of the engine. So they clean car down & I ran it for 450 miles, then the  car inspected again @ Leeds OPC who confirm that it is the dreaded timing chain cover that is leaking oil, but could also be the cam cover bolts as well. So the car returns to Leeds 1st May for engine out fix. I spoke to the technician and looked @ the leak with the car on the ramp. I asked how many of these does he do & he answered most of them! I then asked how many are done twice, & he said that he had never done a car twice. So just hope that this a permanent fix. I must confess that I am concerned having a car that has had engine out @ 17k miles. Only time will tell. Just thank my lucky stars it is still in warranty.

Yeah it's a fairly common problem with a very expensive fix. Well worth the warranty. I got them to check my 2017 GTS for any leaks before I agreed the sale last month and nothing showing as yet but I have the warranty as backup. Same with the common transfer box issue, no sign of that yet for me.

I've read it's mainly the 3.0 V6 up to the 2019 facelift, not sure it it carries on after that point as they swapped to a different engine a 2.9 V6 I think. Not 100% sure as i've not read up on the later models.

• Like 1

Had the PDK box changed as it had an ‘oil misting’ thank god for warranty’s. Mines a 2015 dirty diesel if that matters, on 36k now and yet to have the transfer box issue...... :flush:

@Tony Daniel as I understand it the problem Is on the Porsche 3 Ltr V6 engine, so far it has not occurred on the 2.9 Audi engine.  Mine is a Nov 2017 car, I believe that during a certain build period, the aluminium hex headed bolts that secure the timing chain cover & cam covers were over tightened when on production line. During the heat cycles of the engine the heads snap off the bolts allowing oil to leak out of the covers. The OPC now use a different torque setting from what was previously recommended. If you look @ Macan Forums uk there is a fair bit of info on there about inc links to info about this in the USA. 

• Like 2

@dpg123if you Google “ timing chain oil leak on Porsche Macan Turbo” afraid to say that comes up with videos on You Tube, so yes I guess it could occur on your engine. As you say thankfully with warranty!

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2022 at 4:02 PM, Toddie said:

@dpg123if you Google “ timing chain oil leak on Porsche Macan Turbo” afraid to say that comes up with videos on You Tube, so yes I guess it could occur on your engine. As you say thankfully with warranty!

So, the car was in for a major service today. 2 major issues identified.

Qte

1) aux belt has leaked damping fluid and the tensioner needs replaced 2) oil leak down front of engine, believe this is to be due to front casing leaking from failed front cover bolts

Unqte

So it seems my car has this common, but hugely expensive fault. Thank god for the warranty! Need to book it back in to have both of these issues addressed…

Dpg123, if you look @ my earlier post on this thread you will see that is now sorted by 5bevOPC without them taking the engines out. Good luck.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2023 at 12:12 AM, Toddie said:

Dpg123, if you look @ my earlier post on this thread you will see that is now sorted by 5bevOPC without them taking the engines out. Good luck.

Update: So the car went in to Brooklands Porsche last Tuesday for the engine repairs as well as brakes and a couple of other minor items. I was loaned a VW ID4 (electric and actually very relaxing) and collected my car again on Thursday after work. Apart from the car not being washed (they'd "just finished" working on it) and having to ask for the front bumper to be realigned correctly (assume it had been removed for the timing chain cover work), everything seems fine. Car doesn't sound or seem any different to before. 

I assume that, having had this expensive and worrisome issue permanently sorted, the value of my car has now skyrocketed, like having a new IMS on a Boxster -vs- one that hasn't?! 😁

• Like 1