Spyder v GTS

MH82

I know some of you on here have had both, so can you give me a brief overview of the plus/minus points for each versus each other.

I’m definitely going to be getting one of these two cars in the coming weeks and my head says GTS and heart is with the Spyder…..

Also any thoughts on must have elements of spec?

thanks in advance, looking forward to being back in a Boxster 

The best person to answer this is yourself. The Spyder probably suits better if it's a special occasion type car, the engine, manual box. I personally find the gearing a bit long on them but the looks more than make up for it. The 3.8l is similar to the 3.4l just with a little more grunt. 

If you want PDK and an easier life with the roof get the GTS. Handling wise you won't notice much difference in my experience.

If you are spending £70k anyway I'd be inclined to push you towards the 718 4.0l.

To throw a spanner in the works with that budget I personally would go for a 991.2 manual.

• Like 1

Having had the 3.4 in the 987.2S and the 3.8 in the 991.1S I think there is a bit of a difference though the 3.8 in the Spyder is detuned.

the looks of the Spyder are fantastic but the roof could be a bore, certainly for my wife, as would the manual gearbox. 

the 4.0 does appeal but to get one spec’d as I’d like I’ll be £80k+ and the residuals aren’t great so I’ll be paying for more of the depreciation curve

having jacked in my ‘hand in the air’ order for a 718 Spyder I do wonder if the 981 would make me think what if, whereas the GTS is the car I really wanted back when I had the 987.

I think I know where I’m going to end up, but we all welcome different opinions and a bit of discussion.

I really thought the 718 4.0l GTS would be something really special when it was first announced, a GTS with a real unique selling point and its own engine. I would still have one but unfortunately I don't think the character and drama you get from the 3.4l has been achieved.

Probably one of the reasons I want to keep mine.

Edited by daz05
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My personal opinion: GTS has a better roof and is more affordable, the Spyder looks better although personally I am not keen on the rear humps and is more exclusive.

The engine wise the Spyder's 3.8 is not leaps and bounds over the GTS 3.4 engine, the Spyder suspension is the same as the GTS set up as in its not got the GT4 set up.

For me the 981 Spyder isn't a big enough jump to justify the extra money.

Where as the 718 Spyder is pretty much a Boxster GT4 as it shares pretty much everything with it (engine, suspension etc).

I have the Porsche Silverstone experience day in June and I have opted for the 718 Spyder to see what it is like compared to my GTS.

• Thanks 1

I have had two 981 GTS's and currently have a 718 Spyder.

As you posted in the 981 section, I assume you are considering a 981 GTS vs 981 Spyder. This means you are looking at a price range of £50k to £75k.

I would go for neither, but get a 718 GTS 4.0 instead, even if you order from New and have to wait. There a few used ones on Autotrader for £71k, still better value than a 6 year old 981 Spyder. The 981 GTS is not worth £10k more than a 981S.

My reasoning for a 718 GTS is mainly for the 4.0 litre engine, newer car and PDK gearbox option, it's a big step-up from a 981 GTS, yet available for 981 Spyder money. Both the 981 models seem to be over priced at the moment, the youngest cars will be nearly 6 year old cars, yet they are selling for virtually their original list price when new. The market is bonkers!

The ultimate model of course is the 718 Spyder, but values are sky high and availability scarce. 

The 718 Spyder is the best looking car Porsche makes in my opinion and good value if you can find one, the roof is a bit of a faff if you are using it as a daily driver. However, used as a weekend and sunny weather car, it is very special indeed and the roof stays down anyway!

Happy hunting!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MH82 said:

Personal opinions are what I’m after, particularly from anyone that’s driven or owned both.

Didn't think i’d want to go back to Boxster after the 911, but really missed the open top and the handling.

I expressed my personal opinions already on your 981 question, I too sold my 981 Boxster GTS and bought a new 992 series 911 coupe.

But like you, I missed the open top experience and handling of a mid engined car, I was fortunate to be offered the chance to swap it for a new 718 Spyder - so I grabbed it with both hands, awesome car!

2021-10-17_06-53-21

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MH82 said:

Personal opinions are what I’m after, particularly from anyone that’s driven or owned both.

Didn't think i’d want to go back to Boxster after the 911, but really missed the open top and the handling.

I am interested to hear about the difference in handling between the Boxster and the 911. 

For me my next step would be a 911 but I have read a few people going back to a Boxster from a 911. 

10 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I expressed my personal opinions already on your 981 question, I too sold my 981 Boxster GTS and bought a new 992 series 911 coupe.

But like you, I missed the open top experience and handling of a mid engined car, I was fortunate to be offered the chance to swap it for a new 718 Spyder - so I grabbed it with both hands, awesome car!

2021-10-17_06-53-21

Yeah, but my quandary here is if I went this route (and so new) then I’d want it to my own spec which isn’t going to happen - my speculative deposit I had in they basically told me I wouldn’t get one but they’d probably change my order onto a GTS.

Issues with the 4.0, not as good sound and price. Particularly for a pdk. Again spec being what I want as with an available car I’d likely have to go new order, and I’m impatient. I have a big trip planned for the summer and want the car for then.

10 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I have had two 981 GTS's and currently have a 718 Spyder.

As you posted in the 981 section, I assume you are considering a 981 GTS vs 981 Spyder. This means you are looking at a price range of £50k to £75k

Yes 981 Spyder v 981 GTS.

to be honest my budget probably tops out at 60, but the stretch (with residuals) to one of the cheaper Spyder’s on the market is being considered. I don’t think I rationalise it, particularly as options wise etc they’re not ticking my boxes. Whereas a well spec’d reasonable mileage GTS is about 52k. A similarly spec’d 4.0 new would be 81k and they’re currently going for over that on the used market

9 hours ago, Robin_GTS said:

I am interested to hear about the difference in handling between the Boxster and the 911. 

For me my next step would be a 911 but I have read a few people going back to a Boxster from a 911. 

The Boxster is just better balanced, always found you could throw it into a corner or thread it threw and it just felt ‘right’. The 911 was probably a touch heavier, wanted to push wide a little as you entered a corner and just felt a little more cumbersome. Great car though, my wife loved it, so maybe it was too ‘grown up’?

10 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:The 718 Spyder is the best looking car Porsche makes in my opinion and good value if you can find one, the roof is a bit of a faff if you are using it as a daily driver. However, used as a weekend and sunny weather car, it is very special indeed and the roof stays down anyway!

I agree the 718 Spyder is the best looking and actually the front end is more like the 981 GTS than the 981 Spyder (which from that angle I prefer the GTS), but those humps…..

12 hours ago, MH82 said:

Doesn’t help that the one I’m looking at has turbo 3s - probably my least favourite 

9Apart exchange wheels and may have a set of Spyder wheels if you enquire. We have the turbo 3 wheels on a Macan and the sports techno on the BGTS...the Boxster wheels are a breeze to clean.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154629945689?fits=Cars+Year%3A2020|Model%3ABoxster&hash=item2400a9b959:g:kdIAAOSwBu5hUyfW

I bought my 981 GTS last year after a lot of searching different cars, 991 Turbo coupe was a favourite for a long time nut wanted a cab so then back to a 718GTS (2.5), McLaren... for 2 mins, then nearly a 718 GTS 4.0. It had to be PDK so Spyders even though they are the most beautiful cars were unfortunately out.

If the 4.0 had a Spyder\GT4 front end I would be sat waiting delivery right now but even with the sports design kit on it looks like any 718. In the end very happy with the 981 GTS, it has the alcantara with red stitch interior which I love. Updated the PCM with Apple carplay/Android Auto and just added the Spyder ducktail, which was silly money but looks the dogs danglies now its on.

Good luck with your search

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

2021-10-17_06-53-21

Christ that is gorgeous!

I've had my 981 BGTS for nearly 5 years now and still enjoy every time I get in the car.  The fit and feel of the GTS cabin and details I really appreciate.

If I was to change I would only go to the 718 GTS 4.0 to keep the GTS factor, usability of the roof, PDK & the 4.0 motor knowing my wife would also continue to use the car as she does today.  Tried the newer 911's and it's just too big a car in my opinion.

The newer Spyder is absolutely gorgeous although a bit more focused & the roof would be a faff, so probably not as good a road car ultimately.