Spyder v GTS

MH82

At the moment I’m considering a very well spec’d Black pdk GTS (couple of things on it I wouldn’t have gone for - non sport design wheel and the alloys) and a not quite as well spec’d but manageable white manual Spyder. Both are the same mileage and same age.

The Spyder does have the folding buckets as well, but white wouldn’t be my first choice, but then after two black Porsches neither would black be.

I think we all agree both a more great cars, so I think it may come down to the comparative numbers. 

just don’t want to go in on the gts and keep lusting a Spyder. Though the Spyder I’d really like would be the 718 Pdk.

decisions decisions 

Just now, MH82 said:

Not in a Porsche no, but in other cars, getting over the bolster can be tricky

My wife & I both use the car & this is why I didn't change it for a GT4 12 months into ownership as that also had buckets, manual and was just more raw - I loved it, but it was very focused & the GTS does it all although I have now canned any track action as it's limits are easily reached,

The buckets are fine if you use the car rarely and with the roof down a lot.  Just getting in & out with the standard seats can be a challenge especially with the roof up and limited door opening.  Just a note on practicality really, but that's what contributes to the GTS being such a great all round car!

I always lift my ar5e over the bolster with a key/phone/wallet drop on the hood beforehand - one day I'm going to walk off and leave them there I'm sure of it!

I’m happy for my wife to be a more occasional user than she was in the 911 (she always took that car for short trips which infuriated me a little as it would never get the chance to come up to temp). She refused to drive the 987 as she thought the steering was too heavy! Obviously EPS in the 981 (similar to the 991) so I doubt she’ll have that issue. Being a manual will put her off a little bit too.

14 minutes ago, MH82 said:

I’m happy for my wife to be a more occasional user than she was in the 911 (she always took that car for short trips which infuriated me a little as it would never get the chance to come up to temp). She refused to drive the 987 as she thought the steering was too heavy! Obviously EPS in the 981 (similar to the 991) so I doubt she’ll have that issue. Being a manual will put her off a little bit too.

GTS with PDK for you then by the sounds of it!

19 hours ago, Robin_GTS said:

I am interested to hear about the difference in handling between the Boxster and the 911. 

For me my next step would be a 911 but I have read a few people going back to a Boxster from a 911. 

Which 911 do you want to know about, I've driven a few but they are a bit different depending on generation. The main difference is how they rotate, the 981 feels like it rotates nicely around the centre, a 911 tends to feel even lighter at the front, it rotates from the rear and pushes you around corners. You notice is more on the models that pre date the 991.

The 991.1 (3.8 c4s) just feels like a bigger less sporty 981. I didn't rate the last one I drove, the steering felt odd to me and it didn't feel as agile. I actually tried to make one of my videos about the experience and decided not to as it wasn't very positive.

The 991.2 I tried felt quite good the steering is leagues ahead of the .1 and I think the extra torque and punch is more appropriate for the chassis.

I'm due a turn in my friends 991.1 turbo soon and this is an absolute animal, unless on narrow tight stuff where the Boxster is better trying to keep up with it is extremely challenging. I can match it at turn in but he can capapult it mid corner and it just leaps away.

There is less drama though and he claims that he has to drive too fast for any real excitement.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

Man maths right there!!

And then the head kicks in and says is the Spyder worth the extra £17k, and I think the answer is no. Not if it’s going to stretch me too much financially that I start worrying about it. GTS for me I think - but those wheels will likely get changed at some point, probably when I need new tyres.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MH82 said:

And then the head kicks in and says is the Spyder worth the extra £17k, and I think the answer is no. Not if it’s going to stretch me too much financially that I start worrying about it. GTS for me I think - but those wheels will likely get changed at some point, probably when I need new tyres.

I'd also say no.  What specific car are you looking at?

59 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

So was Jimi Hendrix - he could play a tune or two..  I think he just played a right handed setup, but upside down?

..talented or what!

He was left handed but played right handed guitars flipped over and re-strung the correct way. So no real difference, he wasn't playing it upside-down or back to front in terms of the strings and notes on the fret board. Although obviously he was super talented!

Only reason he did this is because left handed guitars were scarcer and more expensive to buy back then.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 11:54 AM, MH82 said:

I may have missed it, but I assume you’ve seen my GTS is for sale 

15 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

He was left handed but played right handed guitars flipped over and re-strung the correct way. So no real difference, he wasn't playing it upside-down or back to front in terms of the strings and notes on the fret board. Although obviously he was super talented!

Only reason he did this is because left handed guitars were scarcer and more expensive to buy back then.

You know much more than me about it all..  I can bang out a few Oasis tracks, but that's my lot!