Michelin PS5 tyres.

el 3.2S

Just wondered if anyone has experience of Michelin PS5 tyres fitted to a 986? I have just ordered a full set 225 & 265 width for 18" rims. This fitting place is not now listing the PS4 rear tyre for the Boxster. Price was for all 4 was E732 fitted, balanced, nitrogen filled and with a guarantee. I will get them fitted to the spare set of Carrera lightweight alloys I have had sitting in my garage for about 3 years. Hoping the new tyres will be an improvement over my 10 year old front Hancooks and my 8 year old rear Sunny tyres!🤣

You still didn't change them 🤣🤣

Let's just hope they are more comparable to PS2 and PS4 rather than the PS3 which was short-lived and apparently deservedly so.

Anyway finally I beat you, got my Classics on last year nyah nyah nyah, but they'd been in my garage since 2015... :blush:

And I royally kerbed one a couple of weeks ago 😭

1 hour ago, el 3.2S said:

Just wondered if anyone has experience of Michelin PS5 tyres fitted to a 986? I have just ordered a full set 225 & 265 width for 18" rims. This fitting place is not now listing the PS4 rear tyre for the Boxster. Price was for all 4 was E732 fitted, balanced, nitrogen filled and with a guarantee. I will get them fitted to the spare set of Carrera lightweight alloys I have had sitting in my garage for about 3 years. Hoping the new tyres will be an improvement over my 10 year old front Hancooks and my 8 year old rear Sunny tyres!🤣

I'm guessing that it will handle like a different car going from old mid to low brands vs the top premium brand's brand new tyre design!  Enjoy.

Haha, yes things do move a bit glacially at times on the car front - at least the rims were only sitting about 3 years in my garage 😉.

Thanks for the review, not sure the PS5 looks a giant step forward from the PS4? Not many have reviewed the newer one yet though. Alarmingly I see it has excellent wear characteristics🤣 - this is something I most definitely do not care about, along with wet weather performance. My 8 & 10 year old tyres on the car now all look like new tread wise!

Will give them a try anyway.

Edited by el 3.2S

Yes I think we're 1-1 on the procrastination scoring :D 

When I got mine the PS4 were available (or was it PS4S? Difference is important but I've forgotten by now) but I learned from the last set that I didn't need to pay for Michelin's fantastic durability, as I do so few miles per year. My PS2s were 10 years old and still had 3-4mm on them, clearly I drive like a grandad. So I saved 200 quid and bought Goodyears. Immediate difference is that I could no longer provoke it around certain corners, and much less Ackermann judder - I got the latter heavily every time turning hard right out of my drive, now it's barely there.

PS2s were awesome, PS4S were awesome, I wouldn't worry if these are not a giant step forward.

Isn't your suspension 20 years old anyway ;) 

It would be nice to be able to push the car a bit further round corners. Do you already know where you can provoke it, to test if the new ones are different, do you have a "baseline"?

38 minutes ago, el 3.2S said:

Haha, yes things do move a bit glacially at times on the car front - at least the rims were only sitting about 3 years in my garage 😉.

Thanks for the review, not sure the PS5 looks a giant step forward from the PS4? Not many have reviewed the newer one yet though. Alarmingly I see it has excellent wear characteristics🤣 - this is something I most definitely do not care about, along with wet weather performance. My 8 & 10 year old tyres on the car now all look like new tread wise!

Will give them a try anyway.

Reading between the lines I wonder if you’d be better off with a trackday type tyre 🤔

39 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Yes I think we're 1-1 on the procrastination scoring :D 

When I got mine the PS4 were available (or was it PS4S? Difference is important but I've forgotten by now) but I learned from the last set that I didn't need to pay for Michelin's fantastic durability, as I do so few miles per year. My PS2s were 10 years old and still had 3-4mm on them, clearly I drive like a grandad. So I saved 200 quid and bought Goodyears. Immediate difference is that I could no longer provoke it around certain corners, and much less Ackermann judder - I got the latter heavily every time turning hard right out of my drive, now it's barely there.

PS2s were awesome, PS4S were awesome, I wouldn't worry if these are not a giant step forward.

Isn't your suspension 20 years old anyway ;) 

It would be nice to be able to push the car a bit further round corners. Do you already know where you can provoke it, to test if the new ones are different, do you have a "baseline"?

Perhaps I should have done similar as the Michelin is likely more than I need based on my usage etc. Would likely have been better off with Goodyear or something similar. With 8 year old Sunny tyres at the rear, it did not take much, even on dry roads, to provoke the rear. Any new tyre will be a vast improvement there.. Will just have to use the car a bit more to get my money's worth out of the Michelins! But you are correct, the suspension is ancient - it is actually 22 years old!

38 minutes ago, map said:

Reading between the lines I wonder if you’d be better off with a trackday type tyre 🤔

Yes I think you could be right there based on my very low usage. Maybe a Toyo or something similar would have been a better choice?

Mine worked according to Goodyear and Michelin quotes at the time. Since then I know someone else, and when I asked for my family Toyota the Michelins were maybe 50 quid more than Goodyears for all four, so I went for them. And I'm not sure if the Goodyear 5 available now is as loved as the Goodyear 3. Anyway - you've ordered now. Hope it all works out :) 

13 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Mine worked according to Goodyear and Michelin quotes at the time. Since then I know someone else, and when I asked for my family Toyota the Michelins were maybe 50 quid more than Goodyears for all four, so I went for them. And I'm not sure if the Goodyear 5 available now is as loved as the Goodyear 3. Anyway - you've ordered now. Hope it all works out :) 

Thanks, will be nice to have a matching set of new quality tyres for first time in my 8 years of ownership.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I loaded my Carrera Classics into the ML a couple of days ago and had them shod with the new PS5 tyres. I fitted them onto the car this afternoon. Firstly, very happy with the look of the new alloys, and a brief test drive this evening indicated vastly improved grip and braking (no more locking up on dry smooth tarmac) and much improved ride due to softer rubber. The old tyres were like 4 blocks of concrete, with similar grip lol.

Since I had the used tyres on the turbo twist alloys and new tyres on the classics, the nerd in me decided to do some weight checks, as I had heard the classics referred to as “lightweight”. 

Front / Rear turbo twist & old tyre = 21,5kg / 25,0kg

Front / Rear classic & new tyre = 18,4kg / 21,7kg

So the front classics are 3,1kg lighter than the twists and the rears are 3,3kg lighter. So 12,8 kg lighter overall.

ABDEA671-3A7B-43C9-8B7A-ADC2F971CAEA2D153249-931F-4618-AF08-084F7221FBB4

And how it was:

A63CECF8-27EF-4AE0-A2C2-FE5C08169DB8

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, el 3.2S said:

Since I had the used tyres on the turbo twist alloys and new tyres on the classics, the nerd in me decided to do some weight checks, as I had heard the classics referred to as “lightweight”. 

51989047588_631b2b8c87_b.jpg

These are the lightest OE 18" wheel for the 986.

3.1kg and 3.3kg is static weight - the reduced weight in terms of rotating weight is greater.  For me it's most noticeable through the steering (more responsive, less effort needed) and then improved ride comfort (springs and dampers having less work to do controlling unsprung mass). 

1 hour ago, map said:

51989047588_631b2b8c87_b.jpg

These are the lightest OE 18" wheel for the 986.

3.1kg and 3.3kg is static weight - the reduced weight in terms of rotating weight is greater.  For me it's most noticeable through the steering (more responsive, less effort needed) and then improved ride comfort (springs and dampers having less work to do controlling unsprung mass). 

Good to know thanks. I look forward to a fuller assessment of them in the coming days.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:07 PM, el 3.2S said:

Well I loaded my Carrera Classics into the ML a couple of days ago and had them shod with the new PS5 tyres. I fitted them onto the car this afternoon. Firstly, very happy with the look of the new alloys, and a brief test drive this evening indicated vastly improved grip and braking (no more locking up on dry smooth tarmac) and much improved ride due to softer rubber. The old tyres were like 4 blocks of concrete, with similar grip lol.

Front / Rear turbo twist & old tyre = 21,5kg / 25,0kg

Front / Rear classic & new tyre = 18,4kg / 21,7kg

So the front classics are 3,1kg lighter than the twists and the rears are 3,3kg lighter. So 12,8 kg lighter overall.

ABDEA671-3A7B-43C9-8B7A-ADC2F971CAEA2D153249-931F-4618-AF08-084F7221FBB4

And how it was:

A63CECF8-27EF-4AE0-A2C2-FE5C08169DB8

Finally fitted them! Looks great! 

• Like 1