Losing rear grip easily.

earley231186

Hello all, 

I've noticed the Boxster is losing rear grip quite quickly. 

I've had mainly rear driven cars and previous Caymans (718) 

How ever I've found that the box is stepping out fairly easily at around 30 mph. I've noticed this a few times now.

This I find unusual as I've never experienced it before. 

What would the culprit be? My first thoughts is tyres, plenty of tread but not sure on the age. 

The tracking has been done recent rear trailing arms changed and new sway bar bushings. 

It's an 05 car with 110k on. 

Any advice?

Aged tyres .The compound hardening and leaching out the sticky enabling chemicals .

They will have date codes on them .

Its a how longs a piece of string Q “ at what age do you bin them “ ?

Depends on a lot of factors .But if they don’t work ie grip sufficiently for intended use = there’s you answer .

Assuming correct pressure as per door sticker/ hand book etc .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Boxer boy said:

Aged tyres .The compound hardening and leaching out the sticky enabling chemicals .

They will have date codes on them .

Its a how longs a piece of string Q “ at what age do you bin them “ ?

Depends on a lot of factors .But if they don’t work ie grip sufficiently for intended use = there’s you answer .

Assuming correct pressure as per door sticker/ hand book etc .

+ 1

41 minutes ago, earley231186 said:

The tracking has been done recent rear trailing arms changed and new sway bar bushings. 

Assuming you have correct tyre pressures and tyres are not ancient, has it only recently started doing it or done it for a while? Did it start doing it after the rear arms were changed? If so, was any rear geo done after they were changed?

You say tracking was done, did that only adjust the front geometry? Maybe this having been changed has made the rear stability worse and more noticeable? Full 4 wheel alignment at someone with a hunter setup and experience of the Boxster might be a good idea

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CMA said:

Assuming you have correct tyre pressures and tyres are not ancient, has it only recently started doing it or done it for a while? Did it start doing it after the rear arms were changed? If so, was any rear geo done after they were changed?

You say tracking was done, did that only adjust the front geometry? Maybe this having been changed has made the rear stability worse and more noticeable? Full 4 wheel alignment at someone with a hunter setup and experience of the Boxster might be a good idea

Sorry, it was a full 4 wheel alignment that I had done. 

• Like 1

Couple of things ……you can put your fingers across two tread blocks and squeeze them together trying to squish / close the gap .You won’t completely but ideally they should feel flexible bit like squeezing a school pencil rubber .If they don’t budge they are are rock hard + useless .

Second the the hardness transfers into a more rock hard ride , less compliant = feel  bumps that previously you didn’t.I know this is subjective but on fresh flexible rubber you will notice a better ride in the thing .You see it’s not just the grip surface that changes , goes hard it’s the whole sidewalls .

I think with Sunday / high day / 2nd or 3 rd cars you never really rub off the tread down to 1.6 mm or what ever .Your MOT guy just follows the motions he ‘s not interested in the ride / grip etc .So ticks a box .It’s passed ok but that from a sports car pov grip means diddly squat .

Rubber , or throwing old rubber ( albeit with decent tread left ) is just part and parcel of sports car ownership.

Edited by Boxer boy
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BBB said:

It does seem suspicious that it’s just started after having the rear arms done.

I used these people @earley231186 and they were excellent. Just in Bootle.

https://wheelalignment-in-liverpool.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

They where the guys who did mine. They did a good job. 

• Like 1

If the tyres are less than 3 years old then perhaps it's the alignment (I agree, if you say it only started after the alignment, that's interesting)

If the tyres are more than 6 years old, it's probably the tyres.

In between - you choose!

Anyone here know how well Falken tyres age?

Never got more than two years out of a, set of falkens so can't say how well they age but have used them for some years on different cars. They seem quite soft to me and wear relatively quickly more so that goodyears but not as quick as hankook... 

Just replaced a set of 2015 Pirelli p-zero that were on the car when I bought it, that were clearly hard, with lots of small cracking around the edges. New pilot sport 4 fitted all around. The difference is substantial. The rubber is clearly softer and the grip limits improved massively, but also as mentioned earlier, the ride is way better, absorbing a lot of the smaller bumps.

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I suggest the tyres as well, I’ve got Goodyear Eagles on my 981 and I had them on my 986. They are a good all round tyre and won’t break the bank. Money no object go for ditch finders

CFA😀