Gear knob

letsmile

I like the original gear knob in my car, but as you can see, it shows signs of wear. Does anyone know if there's a way of restoring it to remove the wear e.g. maybe a coating or other applied product to bring it back to its former glory???? Much appreciate any input and ideas - thanks.52055434535_a12625934c_b.jpg

16 hours ago, Ken986 said:

Personally speaking, I would be pricing a new one from your Porsche Centre . Maybe  not as expensive as you might think.

Actually quite cheap, £86+

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2022 at 9:43 AM, T911UK said:

Actually quite cheap, £86+

Blimey, that's a lot lower than I was expecting, and a lot less hassle than trying to refurbish the old one :thumbsup_anim:

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

10 mins with some leather repair dye and it will look great.  

People are running these on very different budgets, that's a lot of money to some people.

Davey P is one of our most experienced Boxster repair spenders :) 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Davey P is one of our most experienced Boxster repair spenders :) 

Indeed, his charitable works have ensured many Porsche dealers have met, nay exceeded, their targets.

I believe they refer to him as "Father Davey" although he appears more than once a year.

• Haha 2

Well, after considering all the options, finally thought I’d be ‘environmentally conscious’ and ordered some leather dye/paint, so let’s see how it goes 😁 The alternative’s there if all else fails, but love the feeling that I’m trying to keep as much as possible of the original car, and not just build a new one.

• Like 2

It works well; re-dyed a lot of the trim on an old Lotus using a kit from Furniture Clinic.

The trick is to clean well and then dab the dye on with a small piece of sponge, don't be tempted to use a brush or you'll get marks.

Good luck with it. Very satisfying if I turns out well 👍

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, letsmile said:

Well, after considering all the options, finally thought I’d be ‘environmentally conscious’ and ordered some leather dye/paint, so let’s see how it goes 😁 The alternative’s there if all else fails, but love the feeling that I’m trying to keep as much as possible of the original car, and not just build a new one.

Good choice, this was my attempt, it was in slightly worse condition than yours but I can't find a before. I've now had it stiched to the gator, which I also repaired.  The same dye works well on the steering wheel too.

51711275823_2b60868c20_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Just the 5 speed or the 6 speed too? 996 424 075 05 EVZ

That was just for the early 5 speed all leather unit, the later ones with the silver fronts are £189

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

Good choice, this was my attempt, it was in slightly worse condition than yours but I can't find a before. I've now had it stiched to the gator, which I also repaired.  The same dye works well on the steering wheel too.

51711275823_2b60868c20_c.jpg

That looks like a great job 👍 If I can get close to that I'll be delighted. As a matter of interest, how did you apply the dye? And it looks like you also repainted the numbers on top of the knob?? If so, would be great to know what you used. Very inspiring!

1 hour ago, letsmile said:

That looks like a great job 👍 If I can get close to that I'll be delighted. As a matter of interest, how did you apply the dye? And it looks like you also repainted the numbers on top of the knob?? If so, would be great to know what you used. Very inspiring!

Thanks.

I've been dying/painting lots of bits of the interior, the seats needed repairing anyway so I took the opportunity to go a few shades lighter and give the two tone interior a bit more of a contrast.  Pic 2, original colour on left, part way through refurb.

52065805638_9970011b32_c.jpg   51657066849_ef2c4c531a_n.jpg

I used a cut up washing up sponge to apply all the dye, including the dash etc.  That way you don't get brush marks and you can even dab it to give texture.

To do the gear knob, you can take out the plastic disc with the numbers on, I then painted the dye on, sanded it down to remove any excess dye and gave it a lacquer.  Just thought it popped a little more than the dead skin look.

Edited by Daboy3000
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Thanks.

I've been dying/painting lots of bits of the interior, the seats needed repairing anyway so I took the opportunity to go a few shades lighter and give the two tone interior a bit more of a contrast.  Pic 2, original colour on left, part way through refurb.

52065805638_9970011b32_c.jpg   51657066849_ef2c4c531a_n.jpg

I used a cut up washing up sponge to apply all the dye, including the dash etc.  That way you don't get brush marks and you can even dab it to give texture.

To do the gear knob, you can take out the plastic disc with the numbers on, I then painted the dye on, sanded it down to remove any excess dye and gave it a lacquer.  Just thought it popped a little more than the dead skin look.

Wow, what a transformation - really good job! Now just waiting for the dye and lacquer to arrive here before I have a bash 😁

Changing the subject slightly...has anyone attempted to dye their carpets yet? My metropole blue is in great shape but has definitely faded in the last 23 years.

I dyed a black carpet in my old Triumph a few years back and it looked awesome, so I'm tempted to try it in my Boxster but blue may be a bit more tricky.

Edited by jonogt6