How To Register Your 986 as Compliant with TfL London ULEZ and CAZ Clean Air Zones

½cwt

Clean Air or Ultra Low Emission zones have recently been introduced in the UK.  The largest is London' Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ) which encompasses all road inside the North Circular (A406) and South Circular (A205) and in addition Clean Air Zones (CAZ) are now running in Birmingham, Portsmouth and Bath with future zones planned for Bristol, Oxford, Liverpool. Manchester, Bradford, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

LONDON (the easy one)

This zone is set and administered by Transport for London (TfL) and non-compliant vehicles are subject to £12-50 per day charge.  A complaint vehicle is as follows - Petrol EURO 4 (NOx only) compliant or diesel, EURO6 compliant.  The 986 was built and sold before EURO 4 was an official standard and to further complicate things in the late 90's and early 00's not all first registration documentation had the emissions section completed.  However the 986 (2.5, 2.7 and 3.2) versions is actually compliant in nitrogen oxide emissions to comply with EURO 4 but the documents do not show this to get compliance by default on the TfL database.

What you need to do:

Contact Porsche Cars Great Britain on 03457 911911 option 4 and ask them for a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) and they will email you application form.  Complete this along with a copy of your V5C and they will apply to Porsche in Stuttgart for a duplicate for the certificate for your specific car based on the VIN, this service is free.   They say allow 28 days, but mine came in about 2 weeks.  Now contact TfL via the 'Make an enquiry' button on this web page: Contact ULEZ - Transport for London (tfl.gov.uk)

From this you will get an enquiry number and an initial enquiry letter response linked to your vehicle on an email.  Reply to this email using the enquiry number an attach your CoC and V5C scans and in the text draw their attention to section 46.1 of your CoC that shows the NOx level is below the EURO 4 level.  In about 2 or 3 days you'll get a reply hopefully stating you vehicle will be added to the database but it can take a few days.  I checked mine after they confirmed it was compliant and it was there, I checked about 3 weeks later and it had gone so contacted them again (same email trail) and it is now there every time I check.  Each time they replied under 3 working days and once it was same day.

Clean Air Zones

The CAZ are administered by a section of DVLA so is accessed via the gov.uk website here Enter the vehicle registration (number plate) (drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk)  Run your car through the system and if it is non compliant you need to contact them via GOV.UK - Clean Air Zone Support (dvla.gov.uk) . This is the bit that takes time as their responses are well outside teh 15 days they claim tog et back to you in.  Explain you have a vehicle (give the reg and VIN) that has NOx emissions that are below teh EURO 4 NOx level but that is older then teh EURO 4 standard. Where you can upload a document, add your CoC and in the text of the query also note section 46.1 as giving a compliant figure.  Hopefully in about 3 - 4wweks they will come back and say you are registered as compliant, but as ever, check!

The CAZ application for mine took about 14 weeks as I didn't know what they needed as they never said it was NOx only that counted which London clearly and helpfully does so there was a bit of back and forth which took time with the slow replies.  Hopefully is you follow teh above it might only take 3 to 4 weeks or up to 8 if you ahve to go back to them.

Emissions Data on V5C (when they are blank)

This bit I have yet to do as I want to keep hold of my V5C for the moment as I have a couple of trips to Europe planned this summer, however according to the DVAL information on the gov.uk website if you need to change any part of a V5C that is not covered by the standard tear off or online sections, you should hand write the information in the appropriate place on the V5C and along with it any supporting documentation (CoC in this case) and send it to them for review and hopefully issue of an updated document.  I'll report back in due course.... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have jut followed these instructions - thankyou so much @½cwt.

Email just landed from TfL 3 hours after i wrote to them with scans of my V5 and CoC from Porsche AG. My vehicle is exempt! 

I owe you a beer ½cwt....

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 8/2/2022 at 4:51 PM, Rav said:

I have jut followed these instructions - thankyou so much @½cwt.

Email just landed from TfL 3 hours after i wrote to them with scans of my V5 and CoC from Porsche AG. My vehicle is exempt! 

I owe you a beer ½cwt....

And she repaid you with a broken front spring!

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2022 at 5:14 PM, ½cwt said:

Contact Porsche Cars Great Britain on 03457 911911 option 4 and ask them for a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) and they will email you application form.  Complete this along with a copy of your V5C and they will apply to Porsche in Stuttgart for a duplicate for the certificate for your specific car based on the VIN, this service is free. 

Right so i've just rang them to do this for my 2003 3.2 S... do you know if this will then exempt all the same year and engine 986's once ive completed this process? Or will it be all adhoc so everyone would have to do this with their own car individually?

Also thank you for this... I owe you a Mango Lassi! And as per above... coincidentally i have also been gifted a broken spring!!! 😮 

It is acceptance on a case by case basis at  oth TfL and DVLA/CAZ.  As I found out, 20 years or so ago it was not considered important to put all the emissions data on the original registration doc so it did not then get carried over to the V5. CoC is the only way to go as it gives the chassis number in question, and then the V5 to link the chassis number to the reg number.

• Like 1

Contact Porsche Cars Great Britain on 03457 911911 option 4 and ask them for a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) and they will email you application form. 

How long did this take for those who have done it? 

I rang a couole of days ago and the lady I spoke to send her colleague will send it out but nothing as yet.

Edited by fizz

Contact Porsche Cars Great Britain on 03457 911911 option 4 and ask them for a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) and they will email you application form

Ok so just to help speed up the process up for everyone else ive added the email you get from Porsche UK along with the CoC form you need to complete and send to contact@porsche.co.uk.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8llw0diz6q0au8p/Certificate of Conformity Order Form.pdf?dl=0

===========

Subject: Porsche - Certificate of Conformity Application Form

Classification: Confidential

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your interest in a Certificate of Conformity.
 Please find the form attached. Full details of the documents are detailed on the form.
 Please note Certificates of Conformity are only available for EU specification vehicles built after 1997.

Once completed with all details, the form can be

• scanned and emailed back to us,
  • or printed and posted to the address as below.

Please allow 28 days for processing.

Please note that as the UK Importer of Porsche vehicles, Porsche Cars Great Britain, is only in a position to supply Certificates of Conformity to UK customers directly. If you reside outside the UK we recommend that you contact Porsche in the country of your residence for assistance.

Kind regards

Emily Burton
Porsche Customer Interaction Centre
On behalf of Porsche Cars Great Britain Limited
Bath Road, Calcot, Reading RG31 7SE
Phone: 03457 911 911

contact@porsche.co.uk

============

Edited by fizz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I’ve just gone through this process thanks to this very helpful thread! I think it took three weeks to receive the certificate of conformity. The CAZ process has actually been quite quick, it’s take. Less than a week from sending all the documents to receiving a confirmation email that my car is eligible. That will save me 12 miles each time I try and avoid the Bristol zone! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been waiting nearly 2 weeks on a response about the Scottish zones as my cars V5 shows NOx is 0.004 so last night I thought I’d try making an enquiry on the English CAZ site since all but Birmingham and Bristol were already showing as no charge.

I didn’t bother with the Certificate of Conformity, just sent a note of the NOx value and a copy of my V5, they’ve already replied to confirm they agree and I’m now showing as no charge on all the English zones and more importantly for me this has also fixed the Scottish site, although I rarely feel the need to drive in cities it’s nice to know the car is no longer worthless to me or a future owner who may want to do so!

Thanks to all for the really helpful advice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 944GS said:

I’ve been waiting nearly 2 weeks on a response about the Scottish zones as my cars V5 shows NOx is 0.004 so last night I thought I’d try making an enquiry on the English CAZ site since all but Birmingham and Bristol were already showing as no charge.

I didn’t bother with the Certificate of Conformity, just sent a note of the NOx value and a copy of my V5, they’ve already replied to confirm they agree and I’m now showing as no charge on all the English zones and more importantly for me this has also fixed the Scottish site, although I rarely feel the need to drive in cities it’s nice to know the car is no longer worthless to me or a future owner who may want to do so!

Thanks to all for the really helpful advice.

Amazing result and yeah that's what I thought would be the case that they use the same Database for the v5 details. 

The fact the English CAZ got back to you ASAP and it's sorted the Scottish system out too is a win. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 9:59 AM, tonyplymouth said:

I note that the CoC Application Form covering letter says "Please note Certificates of Conformity are only available for EU specification vehicles built after 1997."

Has anyone been able to get a CoC for a 1997 986 please?

In Porsche speak, '1997' is 1997 model year onwards.  All 986s are 1997 or later model year even if they were built in 1996.

• 1 month later...

Success.  Following 1/2cwt's excellent "how to", I have been able to get a CoC from Porsche and register my 1997 986 as ULEZ and CAZ compliant.  All quite straightforward; the process took about 4 weeks from start to finish.

Now for the last step, to get the 986 V5C updated with my car's emissions data.

Also I have been able to register my "historic vehicle" 924 and MGBGTV8 cars as ULEZ and CAZs compliant.  Even easier as a CoC isn't required; just a copy of the V5C.

So again, my thanks to 1/2cwt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the V5C updated is may be more of a challenge.  I've not attempted this yet myself as while I own the car and it is on ULEZ it is not a priority, but I believe some who have have been told it is a 'no can do' by DVLA but I'm not sure of the circumstances.

• 5 months later...

I've been going through the process of getting my car listed as ULEZ compliant, wrote to Porsche around a month ago and then received the Certificate of Conformity about a week or so ago, emailed the details along with the 1st and 2nd page of my V5C to the Clean Air Zone department, Low Emissions Zone Scotland and TfL, the Scottish department emailed back less than 24 hours later to say my details had been updated and my vehicle is now listed as compliant, and having just checked the Clean Air Zones website it seems to also be fully compliant for that as well, however TfL replied to say that they couldn't confirm all the details as they need all 4 pages of the V5C!

The other odd thing is that I didn't bother applying for a new V5C as its a £25 fee for a new one and I didn't really think it was necessary, but today despite not applying or paying for one I received a new updated V5C in the post with my NOx level now listed! 🤔

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Your CoCs are free from Porsche?

Getting one for my Toyota, they want €160 (European, not sure if that makes a difference).  Apparently some brands including VW and Skoda want over 200. Can this be true, that Porsche tax DOESN'T apply?!  World first...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Your CoCs are free from Porsche?

Getting one for my Toyota, they want €160 (European, not sure if that makes a difference).  Apparently some brands including VW and Skoda want over 200. Can this be true, that Porsche tax DOESN'T apply?!  World first...

I'm presuming the number of requests Toyota/VW etc are getting is way more than Porsche and as such probably realised the monies they could make from charging for the CoC outweighed the cost of creating another revenue stream. 

• 1 month later...